Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

From that premise came the idea of doing what I called "The Aztecs in reverse"- the Doctor causing a problem with the known history of Tom's world, by trying to make it the same as the history he knows.
    An ingenious idea, and very interesting to read the original idea, as being very different to the finished story... which I have indeed just finished! (Do you see what I did there?)

Really enjoyed it - I'd agree with the comment above, although I definitely had to concentrate, I think I'd say I followed the conclusion easier than I did with Oxford (that's an observation, BTW, not a criticism). Like everyone has already said, quite rightly, the 'journey' (as they say) of Tom from suggesting they 'just' kill Nelson, through to the actual solution, was very well thought out.

I had one qualm towards the end, in thinking that taking Nelson away to a quiet life robbed the 'real' man of his heroism, just faking his death with a perception filter... but of course, I'd underestimated Jon's judgement and skill, in that ultimately it's still Nelson who gives his life, it is only a delay not an escape.

What else? I haven't seen a cast list anywhere, so am only deducing from other posts as to who was playing who (I know who was playing Who, obviously, but you know what I mean...). Richard's eerily menacing DeVascon (sp?) was quite rivetting, and absolutely agree with all the praise for Ashley's various Nelsons.

Bits that made me particularly laugh (because the PS audios have a fine tradition of causing sprayed coffee at Curnow Towers) include Pascoe doubling as Nelson's speech-writer ("Can I suggest, England Expects, sir?"); the Doctor's bit (perfectly set to the 11th Doctor theme) about them needing skill, and brilliance, etc, "And I've got jobs for you two too"; and simply Tom's looking for the help function on the Time Space Visualiser!!

Great production as ever from Si, I love his use of music particularly, as it's an added 'reference' which enhances the scenes, and the whole thing had a real sense of place, whether it be aboard ship, in the Caribbean, etc. Even the good old TARDIS.

So to recap in a slightly shorter form... Fantastic!!

Oh! I knew there was something else - loved Brendan's Russian impersonation, for some reason (I think probably the definite and precise way he formed the words) it put me in mind of McCoy!!

One question - did I miss a bit, I wasn't quite sure how the ship's surgeon came to be so happily in on the whole scheme, and so relaxed around technology?

Thanks Andrew, the novelty of people saying nice things about my performance as DeVascon hasn't worn off yet and I'm glad it came over so well. It was great fun to do, especially the final scene and I really think Si did a fab job knitting the scenes together so well.
    I'm very proud to be involved in such a professional sounding production.

Thank you again for your kind words Andrew, and glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Bits that made me particularly laugh (because the PS audios have a fine tradition of causing sprayed coffee at Curnow Towers) include Pascoe doubling as Nelson's speech-writer ("Can I suggest, England Expects, sir?");
    Would love to take credit for that, but that's actually a historical fact </BBC Charter to educate>

One question - did I miss a bit, I wasn't quite sure how the ship's surgeon came to be so happily in on the whole scheme, and so relaxed around technology?
    No, you didn't - I wanted to have the surprise of Nelson actually being Tom when he got shot. As for Beattie, the books I read said that he was absolutely devoted to Nelson, to the point that he refused to let anyone else handle Nelson's body from when he died right up to the funeral. I figured it would be fairly easy to persuade him to agree to the Doctor's scheme if his beloved Nelson could actually live for another 20 years (and , of course, prevent anyone finding the preception filter device on Old Nelson afterwards).

I had one qualm towards the end, in thinking that taking Nelson away to a quiet life robbed the 'real' man of his heroism, just faking his death with a perception filter... but of course, I'd underestimated Jon's judgement and skill, in that ultimately it's still Nelson who gives his life, it is only a delay not an escape.
    This story was actually great to write for me as I've always been interested in Nelson (so guilty of a bit of hijack away from the 'Little Corsican' ) The books show a very complex character - a great leader with huge personal bravery but a massive ego and vanity; a sound tactician who was a complete failure in governement and on land; and a pretty appalling personal life. However, I've always felt a bit sorry for him in that, so soon after finally getting Lady Hamilton to himself and a semblance of a family life he died before he could really enjoy any of it. I guess this was my way of giving him a second chance.
    Bazinga !