Default Eric Sykes has died

According to BBC News Eric Sykes has died aged 89 after a short illness.
    My work PC won't allow me to post the link (or even read the article) so all I have at this point is the headline.

I loved the TV show 'Sykes'. Ant C and I used to watch these together about 20 yeras ago. We would be laughing for ages at some of the gags.
    The show itself was quite predictale (a bit Terry and June) although the word related jokes were much better in Sykes and made the show worth watching!

I also met Eric briefly on stage at Wimbledon Theatre with Roy Kinnear when I was 9 years old.
    I will always remember that!!

RIP Eric

His gentle comedy made me laugh. BBC News just showed a clip of Eric & Hattie handcuffed together as they tried to eat their dinner. A classic!

Quite a legend. Sad day.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

A real legend - one of my earliest TV memories is the episode of Sykes where they think it's the end of the world, and hearing that distinctive trumpet theme tune always makes me feel nostalgic.

I was reading his autobiography not all that long ago, and I have to say I didn't realise just how many things he'd done, nor how long Sykes had run for, nor indeed just how many different people he'd worked with. A real one-off I think, and would it be fair to say the last of the great comics of that sort of era? Tommy Cooper, Morecambe & Wise, Hancock, Charlie Drake, the various Goons, Hattie Jaques... I can't really think of any of them that are left now, very sad.

Very sad. I loved The Plank.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Someone at work just told me this - very sad.

As Mr Clancy says - we spent many hours laughing at the simple but effective humour of Sykes the series. And Eric was a talented comedy writer too.

RIP Eric - another of the old school gone.

Very sad news indeed. One of my earliest laughing until it hurt memories was Eric Sykes & Tommy Copper in The Plank.

He was also a good straight actor as he showed relatively recently in the Goblet of Fire film.

Another fine comedy actor who can never be replaced.

R.I.P Eric.

There's a Goon Show that Eric wrote, where the dreaded scoundrel Major Bloodnok attempts to confuse one of his creditors by pretending to be twins - if he was asked an awkward question, he'd say his brother knows the answer and go into the next room and come out as "the other one". After he'd done this a few times, his nemesis asked him why the two of them never appeared together. The reply - "the Curse of the Bloodnoks!"

Really one of the most naturally funny people ever to be broadcast. Sad.
    The Plank is a masterclass in visual comedy, as is Rhubarb Rhubarb. I can't think of a single comedian who wouldn't improve his craft by studying Eric.

I don't think there are words for how much this feels like an era of comedy has ended.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    I don't think there are words for how much this feels like an era of comedy has ended.
    I was saying as much to Angela the last night. I can't think of any decent comedy actor from Eric's era left. In fact I'm struggling to think of any great comedy actors left from any generation. Jim Carrey may be?

one of the true greats of British comady..

R.I.P Eric.