Default The Dark Knight RISES!

Well, it's finally here - the final part in Christopher Nolan's trilogy of darker and grittier Batman films.

The wife and I are off to see it at a midnight showing tonight, and we're pretty excited about it!

I figured that as one of the biggest releases of the Summer, this one probably merits its own thread - so discuss away, my friends!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Stop Loafing and get Rising!

I'm sure after this film there'll be an even grittier, grimmer remake of the Batman series. Possibly called 'The Void Knight'.

I saw the Giant Bat Mask being disassembled at Leicester Square today. A ludicrous waste of polystyrene in some respects... in fact, in all respects. Still, they were able to cut it up and fit it on the back of two big lorries.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've mixed feelings on Nolan's take on the character, and have to admit to preferring the Burton films, at least so far. I found Batman Begins to be a bit dull - though I generally dislike origin films unless they're done exceedingly well - but did quite like The Dark Knight. I know Paul has strong feelings about Ledger's take on the Joker, but I quite enjoyed it, but that said it's not really the Joker that we've seen from the comics, but a different take on the idea. I've always found Bale to be a bit one note in the main role too, but when it comes to the various big set pieces the films have been impressive.

The long running time of The Dark Knight Rises puts me off a little, I just hope there's not too much filler along the way, but I do plan to see it at some point in the near future.

I do find it interesting how defensive Nolan's fans are - one critic who wrote a negative review has received incredibly unpleasant death threats, which really confuses, and Rotten Tomatoes had to close their comments section due to it. Tis just all a bit bizarre if you ask me...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Just got in from seeing it. Adored it. It's 3:30am here, so off to bed... more tomorrow

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Amazingly (perhaps even heretically ) I've still not seen The Dark Knight even though I quite enjoyed Batman Begins so I think a catch up might be in order this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Amazingly (perhaps even heretically ) I've still not seen The Dark Knight even though I quite enjoyed Batman Begins so I think a catch up might be in order this weekend!
    You MUST, Richard! I refused to see TDK when it was in the cinema, because I didn't think it could possibly live up to all the hype. And when I did see it, it really did, in my opinion. I think it'd be a shame to miss the new one on the big screen!

Anyway, a bit more on what I thought about TDKR. Since I know I saw it earlier than most people, I'm spoiler-tagging everything. You have been warned. Do not blame me if you read on, and don't want to know any plot details.

Firstly, I thought the entire cast was amazing. Everyone in this movie absolutely shined, and while I had my doubts about Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman, she was superb, and I was glad that the "c-word" wasn't used in the film at any one point! It was great to see all the regulars back, and I wasn't disappointed by the roles of any of them.

I loved the entire plot. It really felt like the film was coming full-circle from Batman Begins. This definitely felt like more of a sequel than The Dark Knight, particularly with the hidden villain of the piece being Talia al Ghul. I felt that that worked well with the comics, since Ra's and Talia never properly die. Hence, the scene where Bruce hallucinates Ra's was pretty much in keeping with the comics. Tom Hardy was superb as Bane, in a way that I never thought he would be. I really love the way that Christopher Nolan has a set of regular actors in all his movies - he knows who he gets good results from, so he's not afraid to use them time and time again.

To me, the film really did come across as a commentary piece. Particularly on things like the Occupy movement, who seemed to be summed up quite well by Bane's take-over of Gotham being "the people taking-over". Bane releasing the prisoners from the Blackgate Prison definitely recalls the storming of the Bastille - and we all know that the French Revolution ended up with the Terror. Of course, what "the people" don't know is that he and Talia are planning to blow them all up anyway. Fascinating. There's a piece in the Telegraph that describes Batman as "the ultimate right-wing hero". I don't know if Nolan ever intended that of this film, but it definitely comes across that way. Batman is fighting for the corporations - his own one in particular. Bane starts his onslaught with an attack on the stock market, for God's sake! To me, this film comes across as a counter-revolutionary piece, intent on maintaining the status-quo, more than anything else.

I rarely get emotional at tv/film. It has to be something big to get me to tears - the closing moments of The Family of Blood at the war memorial have always reduced me to tears. But, beyond that, I rarely cry. But seeing Alfred crying at Bruce's grave just set me off. And then I was immensely happy when Alfred finally realised his fantasy of having a Fernet-Branca in Florence and seeing Bruce, happy, at another table - in this case, apparently having faked his death. That was a really lovely moment. And I love the idea that Bruce and Selina are together. Maybe that's just because I wish I was Batman and that Anne Hathaway is so hot. Anyway, I digress!

Finally, Blake. I knew from when he first started playing a major role that he would turn into Robin. For some reason, it just seemed so obvious, and so right. I love that he inherited the Batcave, and that it appears that he will take over the mantle from Batman.

All in all, I really thought it was spectacular. It's a shame that both Nolan and Bale have said that it'll be their last. I think there's scope for a sequel.

----