Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Football 2012-13

With the transfer window having been open for quite a while now, and the first games of the new season fast approaching, it's high time that we have a new thread for the upcoming season!

How have your favoured team(s) done in the transfer window?

Personally, I'm glad to see Arsenal getting in some new blood up front - with the loss of Fabregas and Nasri at the beginning of the 11/12 season, and all the speculation surrounding Van Persie, it's great to see Wenger strengthening our attack with Giroud and Podolski. I have high hopes for these two.

As for Van Persie. I hope he leaves. He may have scored a lot of goals for us last season, but the disrespect that he's showing the club is disgraceful. Very, very disappointing - I thought he was better than that.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    As for Van Persie. I hope he leaves. He may have scored a lot of goals for us last season, but the disrespect that he's showing the club is disgraceful. Very, very disappointing - I thought he was better than that.

I I think you're being very unfair Van Persie has quite rightly questioned Arsenal's lack of ambition and you can't blame him from wanting to move from a club that is happy to win nothing and finish 4th every season. So if you want to blame anybody blame Wenger, for his stubborn refussal to strengthen his squad and buy the kind of players needed to win the title. Last season Arsenal were effectivley a one man team with out Van Persie they would not of even finished in the top 6 they only finished 3rd because of Spur's monumental collapse and au unusualy poor season from Chelsea.

However they can't keep relying on other teams to quallify for a Champions league spot because sooner or later they will run out of luck but perhaps a couple of seasons of failing to quallify for the Champions League will finally make every body at Arsenal see that Wengers way of doing things is not working.

Well, we are strengthening our squad - we just bought Podolski and Giroud! Beyond that, we have a good number of up-and-coming players, such as Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain, along with other more established players, such as Walcott.

The problem, to me, is that Arsenal basically developed Van Persie as a player - he was 20 when we bought him from Feyenoord. We've stood by him through thick and thin, whether it's accusations of rape, or injuries. He has played well for us, and he was made Captain last season. And after we finish a very respectable 3rd, our Captain turns round after refusing to sign a new contract, and heavily criticises the team and the manager. To me, that is grossy unprofessional. He's behaving in exactly the same way that Nasri has since moving to City.

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Charlton have signed only 2 players so far and Chris Powell has gone on record stating that the transfer window has frustrated him this summer. So, he isn't getting the players he is after.

Meanwhile, two wins out of two in our pre-season friendles so far including taking the scalp of Sporting Clube de Portugal last night
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

OK, time for my annual predictions and team overviews.

1. Man Utd - United threw the league away last season, and will be all the more fired up for the coming season as they want to take the title away from their 'noisy neighbours. The signings of Kagawa and Van Persie will have a major impact and I can't see any one but them winning the Premier League this season.

2. Man City - City lost out on Van Persie to United, and I see them losing the title as well. Despite winning the title, City have failed to strengthen their squad further, with Jack Rodwell their only signing so far. They have time to bring other players in, and funds are certainly no issue, but there seems to be some issues between Mancini and Marwood which could disrupt the club.

3. Chelsea - The Champions League win will give Chelsea extra confidence, and the signings of Eden Hazard, Marko Marin and Oscar will help to move things on from the old guard. However, I think this is a season or two to early for the London club.

4. Arsenal - Despite losing Van Persie, Arsene Wenger has bought some good replacements in Podolski and Giroud. Santi Cazorla will be another good signing, and Arsenal should just about claim the final Champions League spot.

5. Spurs - With only one striker in Defoe, additions to the squad are vitally important. However, the bulk of the team should remain the same apart from the likely departure of Modric. Vertonghen will be a good defensive signing and Sigurdsson had a great season with Swansea last time out. A few more players are still likely to be signed, but I see another season without qualifying for the Champions League ahead.

6. Liverpool - Borini and Joe Allen will boost Liverpool, and if Suarez can avoid any lengthy bans this season, they should finish higher than they did last season. Brendan Rodgers will get the club playing good football, but a top for place is out of reach for them again.

7. Newcastle - They managed to hold on to their key players and will have another good season, but I have my doubts whether they can match their accomplishments of last season. I think the club will look to do well in the Europa League which will hamper their Premiership form as the season progresses.

8. Everton - Everton usually start slowly and I can see that hapening again, but come the end of the season, I expect them to be pushing for European places. Tim Cahill may have left, but the influential Steven Pienaar is back, and with a full season in the Premiership ahead of him, Jelavic could get a lot of goals.

9. Sunderland - Martin O'Neill has brought in Louis Saha to try to get some goals, but they still look a little lightweight up front. They will be hard to beat, and the signing of Cuellar who O'Neill managed at Villa should strengthen their defence. Mid table will be the general placing for the club most of the season.

10. Stoke - Stoke have been relatively quiet in the transfer marker, although they are still in pursuit of free agent, Michael Owen. Pulis' side have shown for the last few seasons that they will scrap for every point and I expect them to do so again. The signing of Michael Kightly will give them a good outlet on the wing.

11. West Ham - West Hame have signed a couple of their old boys in James Collins and George McCartney to strengthen their defence ahead of the season. Sam Allardyce has a good record as a Premier League manager, and while his style of play may not always be attractive, it tends to be effective. West Ham are still after a couple of players including Matty Jarvis and a mid table position should be well within their ability.

13. Aston Villa - Paul Lambert will be looking to get Villa playing far better than they managed to last season. They have made a few signings that will build up the squad, such as defender Ron Vlaar from Feyenoord, but the main difference should be the style of play Lambert will get the team following, which tends to be more positive than the dour play of old boss McLeish.

14. West Brom - Ben Foster has signed a permanent deal at the club, and with their new manager, Steve Clarke, they have one of the best coaches in the Premier League over the last few seasons. They can't attract the best of players usually, but they have a solid team and Lukaku, signed on loan from Chelsea, could surprise a few people this season.

15. QPR - QPR have been one of the most active teams in the transfer marker this close season, with nine players coming in. It will take time for the players to gel as a team, but they should get stronger as the season goes on and should be comfortably safe come the end of the season. Andrew Johnson has a wealth of experience up front, while Park's experience as Man Utd will be crucial for them. Their best deals were gaining a safe pair of hands in Robert Green and acquiring Junior Hoilett from recently relegated Blackburn.

16. Fulham - If Fulham manage to keep hold of Clint Dempsey, they may finish higher. However, as he seems to be refusing to play, I see a long hard and ultimately disappointing season ahead of Fulham. Rodallega could be agood signing for them, but they still look a little short of goals.

17. Southampton - Southampton's three signings so far, Clyne, Davis and Rodriguez are unlikely to set the Premiership alight. The latter two have previous experience at this level, but the squad doesn't look strong enough. However the enthusiasm of their first season in the Premiership should be enough to just keep them safe.

18. Wigan - The fact Martinez has managed to keep Wigan in the Premiership the last two seasons indicates just how good a manager he is. His changing of the system to a 4-3-3 in the latter stages of last seson kept them up with some excellent results. However, Victor Moses looks on the verge of leaving, and having already lost Diame on a free transfer I can't see them having the quality in the team to stay up this season.

19. Norwich - Despite a great first season and six new signings, I see Norwich suffering the second season syndrome. They try to play open football, and this season, I expect them to concede to may goals because of it, and I can't see Grant Holt having another goalscoring season to the same level as last time.

20. Reading - It was a surprise that Reading were the team to get automatic promotion last season. They've made half a dozen signings with the best of them looking to be Pavel Pogrebnyak, but I cannot see anything other than a quick return to the Championship come the end of the season.

Well, a very interesting start to the season this morning, with quite a few surprises!

Obviously, Swansea, Fulham and West Brom all finished the day with a spring in their step - particularly West Brom with their magnificent victory against Liverpool!

I was disappointed by the Arsenal game, who really should've beaten Sunderland. I was hoping to see more impressive things from Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla. Arshavin, as usual, was a disappointment. Still, I thought we had a fairly good defence line-up, and it was good to see Vermaelen in his first game as Captain.

While I'm here, is anyone else playing Fantasy Premier League on the official Premier League website? If so, I'll think about starting a PS league, which could be fun...

----

What a good start for charlton shame about birminghams last minute equalizer. Still a draw away from home is a good result.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I've got a team, Ant.

Delighted with Gillingham's 3-1 win over Bradford. Hopefully they will get promotion this season.

Okay, I've just set up the PS Fantasy League! If anyone wants to join, the code over at fantasy.premierleague.com is 802545-408875

----

delighted to start the season with a win - we've been given a good first couple of months of fixtures with of last sasons top 4 we've only got to play Arsenal before November so it's vital we take full advantage before a very tough round of fixtures in November starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    20. Reading - It was a surprise that Reading were the team to get automatic promotion last season. They've made half a dozen signings with the best of them looking to be Pavel Pogrebnyak, but I cannot see anything other than a quick return to the Championship come the end of the season.

after watching Reading today they are going to need to improve and fast it's just as well they got a penalty because they very rarely threatened the Stoke goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    ... - particularly West Brom with their magnificent victory against Liverpool!
    I see they've started as they always do...like they have a hangover. It's always the same after Christmas as well.

Well, Whitney and I enjoyed ourselves watching her team (Manchester City) barely win against Southampton today. Nail-biting stuff, and they need to up their game from today if they're going to challenge for the title again.

As the wife said at the end of the game "typical City!"

----

A tough start for Charlton's return to the Championship saw us up against much fancied teams Birmingham and leicester. We've come out of it with 4 pts after beating leiceseter 2-1 in our first home game of the season last night.

I was really pleased with our first half display. There was no drop in quality that saw us storm League one last season, but, Leicester showed us why they are a tip for promotion in the second half forcing us to dig deep and defend.

A disappointing weekend in the House of Williams, with draws from Arsenal (really should be doing better - as much as I hate to say it, the loss of RvP is really hurting us) and Manchester City (great game!).

And to add insult, my non-Premier League team (AFC Wimbledon) lost 5-1 to Bradford. Boo.

Hopefully next weekend will be better for all in this family!

----

What a difference a couple of weeks make. Three defeats on the bounce against Forest, Palarse and Derby sees us 22nd in the table. I know it's early but we need to stop the rot and start picking up points.

It's becoming an all too familiar feeling now we are back in the championship. We lost again last night, at home to Watford who played the entire second half with 10 men. It was one way traffic for the entire 45 mins and they break away once, get a dubious free kick and score the winner from it. But after having 16 attempts on goal, of which 11 were on target, we only have ourselves to blame.

what ever todays result with Arsenal is I'm delighted with our start we were given a relativley good first set of fixtures and have taken full advantage with 11pts from a possible 18 which is a start we desperatly needed especially going into the very tough run of fixtures West Ham has in November and early December.

Great result for us away to Blackpool today. I wasnt expecting that.

Well, I'm glad that my beloved Gooners won yesterday - a great game, and good to see Giroud finally score in the Premiership! Hopefully, he'll starting getting goals on a regular basis now. Hurrah!

----

I see Liverpool are doing well again.

Good grief, another home defeat!

and not going to well for Reading either - sadly they look way out of their depth

Arsenal's defeat at the weekend was just embarassing.

I don't wish to talk about it further

----