Default Season 7 - Extended!

I think that it would be worthwhile to look at what went on beyond the TV during season 7. So, here are the various other stories that are set around Season 7:

Books

MA: The Eye of the Giant, by Christopher Bulis
    MA: The Scales of Injustice, by Gary Russell
    PDA: The Devil Goblins from Neptune, by Martin Day and Keith Topping

Audios

CC: The Blue Tooth, by Nigel Fairs
    CC: Old Soldiers, by James Swallow
    CC: Shadow of the Past, by Simon Guerrier
    CC: Binary, by Eddie Robson
    CC: The Last Post, by James Goss (coming October 2012)

So, of these seven (soon to be eight) stories, which are your favourites? Do you think that the relatively short Season 7 is well supplemented by these stories, or should it have just been left as it was?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

[pixley]Old Soliders takes place between The Silurians and The Ambassadors of Death. Sentinels actually takes place in Season 8, between Terror of the Autons and The Mind of Evil.[/pixley]

The Blue Tooth, from the experimental first season of CCs, shows the series still finding its feet. However, the story from Nigel Fairs is good, and very importantly, feels like a Season 7 story. Caroline John performs it very well, and sells the threat. The four part structure doesn't work, as BF would soon learn.

Old Soldiers is altogether better, both in terms of story and execution. There's even a stunt which you just know Tim Combe would spend loads of money on despite the fact it serves no plot purpose whatsoever. Like The Blue Tooth, it's a story that could only have been told by its narrator. The Brig could not have told us The Blue Tooth, and Liz would have been out of place in Old Soldiers.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Old Soldiers is a great CC. One of my favourites. Lovely reading from Nicholas Courtney with some fantastic material for the Brig. I still smile when I think of the Third Doctor parachuting into the base, with his cloak flying behind him. Pertwee would approve!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I was lucky enough to pick up Old Soldiers and The Blue Tooth as part of a batch of CCs from a charity shop. They both show the series' promise given high-quality stories and production, which they both have. I've just remembered the recent lot has a tale done by Richard Franklin; I was just thinking of nick and Caroline's deaths and the now new hope for the possibility of Doctorless UNIT stories. Pity Nick in particular couldn't have added a few more to the range.

Technically, Sentinels of the New Dawn isn't a Season 7 story- it's set after Liz leaves UNIT.

Unfortunately it's also, for the most part, awful. Nicky read/ performed by Carrie John but the story was dull, dull, dull.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by brandynigma View Post
    [pixley]Old Soliders takes place between The Silurians and The Ambassadors of Death. Sentinels actually takes place in Season 8, between Terror of the Autons and The Mind of Evil.[/pixley]
    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Technically, Sentinels of the New Dawn isn't a Season 7 story- it's set after Liz leaves UNIT.
    My fault! I just looked through a list, and picked out any stories that included Liz! I've removed Sentinels from the original list, and added in Old Soldiers

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Ultimately, I've only read The Devil Goblins from Neptune, and don't remember much about it - must've been decidedly average! And I've heard The Blue Tooth, which was pretty good.

I've got Old Soldiers, but haven't yet got around to listening to it. I must try to do that before our Season 7 run-through is over!

----