Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

but I thought the NHS letters were taking that just a step too far. It seemed forced and out of place - my American friends thought so too, and there was the general consensus that it seemed like propaganda.
    Well of course it would to people who don't have health state care. Personally I think that the Welfare State is one of the most wonderful and enlightened achievements of the UK in the 20th Century- so inclusive and ahead of its time. It's something the UK should be proud of, should be able to boast about and have pride in. Universal health care- it's a marvellous thing. It's not propaganda- it's celebrating something really worthwhile that the UK has done. I cheered. I doubt I was alone.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think we're going to just have to agree to disagree on this one, guys!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

As soon as I saw that I thought "Oh dear, the Americans won't like this part...."

But then most of us didn't like it when the Americans told us our health system was some barbaric, medieval organisation overseen by Death Panels, so....

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I didn't see a problem with the NHS being named. It's something fundamentally part of the British fibre, and should quite rightly be celebrated, and named. Besides, some of the far flung countries probably don't know about the NHS and were wondering why there were all these scenes with nurses and children in hospital beds. Mind you, they might still have been in the dark when the letters NHS came up!

Showing the NHS logo doesn't mean that Danny Boyle was saying "Tories are evil", it was just celebrating a much-loved British institution which I'm proud to say I work for.

Have I also said I was born in Aneurin Bevan's constituency? Okay I'll shut up now!

Getting back to the original purpose of this thread I was pleased to see Team GB's Gold Medal tally increase today...

I hope that Olympic flame won't be too near the high jump event or the pole vaulters. One false move and they'll have their first athlete barbecued!

Go Ennis!!

I genuinely don't understand why you can celebrate something but not mention its name!

Si.

I think we can all agree to disagree with Anthony as long as he realises that on this board he's in a minority of one.

Two more Golds for Grainger and Watkins in the Women's Double Sculls. It's like a Next Universe version of Bert and Dickie...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    I think we can all agree to disagree with Anthony as long as he realises that on this board he's in a minority of one.
    Exactly! I'm certainly a minority of one on this point.

I'm happy in the knowledge that in my household, it's a majority view between the four of us (yes, the bunnies thought it was the case, too! )

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Well me and my twelve pet spiders disagree.

Si.

My moth is sat on the fence

I've never heard it called that before.

Si.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19086415

Some businesses in London have suggested that the Olympics have deterred visitors and that their profits have shrunk as a result.

At Oxford Circus, where tourists, office workers and shoppers usually battle for space on the pavement, the streets have been noticeably quieter than usual.
    Ahmed Waqas Ahmed Waqas says: "Sales are down 50% on last year"

Ahmed Waqas, who runs a souvenir stall nearby, had ordered extra stock and planned to work longer hours to take advantage of the expected Olympic business boom - but has already given up any hope of extra sales.

Ahmed, 27, says: "It has been a disaster - it is so quiet, the tourists suddenly disappeared in the third week of July and they are not coming back.

"Our sales are down about 50% on last year. I blame hotels that put up their prices and scared people away."

The vast Cool Britannia souvenir shop seems to be doing a roaring trade, but supervisor Rajees Chundavida, 30, says they would expect to be busier.

He says: "We were doing OK in June and the first half of July but we are slightly down for the last week or so.

"We would normally do very well from tourists coming in to central London on coach tours, but they just haven't been turning up since the Olympics started.

"I think the tour companies listened to all the warnings about terrible traffic in the city and decided not to come here, but there are no bad traffic jams."
    Well done everyone.

Si.

Good news for Team GB tonight, 3 gold out of 3 events.

Jessica Ennis in the Heptathlon.
    Greg Rutherford in the Long Jump.
    Mo Farah in the 10,000 metres. (With the 5,000 Metres to come).

IT REALLY WAS "SUPER SATURDAY"!

Three gold medals in one hour. Greatest night in British athletics history!

SIX gold medals in total today! Greatest British Olympic day since 1908...

‎and back to reality with England (plus a bit of Wales) beaten on penalties!

Fantastic effort by Andy Murray & Laura Robson at the tennis yesterday,watching the games has been an absolute pleasure!

Indeed, a very well deserved Silver although it would've been wonderful to see Murray get double Gold on the same day!!

I just think we've been fortunate to time the Olympics when there is absolutely nothing else going on in the world at all, Syria is at peace, NASA haven't landed a rover on the moon...

I understand the beebs desire to have wall to wall olympics on BBC1, 2, 3, red button etc, but surely BBC News could perhaps moderate some? Surely anyone who's that desperate to see the results every 3 minutes will be watching it on the live channels.

Well with the awarding of Team GB's 20th Gold event we have now surpassed the record set at Beijing in 2008!!

(Oh and whilst I really do sympathise with the points raised may I remind everyone that we have a seperate thread - McDonald's Olympics for all your Olympics related complaints!)

HURRAH!

----

The beautiful haunting piece played during the climax of the opening ceremony and the lighting of the Olympic cauldron by seven aspiring young athletes:

I hope NASA haven't landed a rover on the Moon. If they have they need to check their sat-nav.

Danny Boyle has confirmed plans for a DVD release of the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony.

The director revealed that he will produce a feature-length version of the showpiece, in order to provide a clearer view of the night's proceedings that may have been lost at the time.

Boyle said that the various music and film clips that were used would be much more visible, including the likes of Gregory's Girl, Kes and two pieces from one of his idols Nicolas Roeg.

He told The Guardian that he "hopes to make things clearer" on the DVD, so that viewers can spot every single reference.

"It will make more sense in this version," Boyle added.

The entry procession of all the nations and athletes will still be included on the DVD, but will be presented in an edited-down version, while the music playlist will also remain.

The opening ceremony - which included appearances from the likes of The Queen, Daniel Craig, David Beckham, Sir Steven Redgrave, Rowan Atkinson and Sir Paul McCartney - was watched by around 27 million viewers in the UK on July 27.
    I wonder whether it will include some of the bits that were cut for time, including the Doctor Who references that people mentioned?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!