Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All this moaning about having a helmet because of costs & yet it is compulsory to wear a helmet when you buy & ride a motorbike & no one complains that there is an added cost with the safety clothing.
    It's the law & you just make allowances for it when you purchase the bike. Why would it be different for cycles?

Absolutely Tim.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    All this moaning about having a helmet because of costs & yet it is compulsory to wear a helmet when you buy & ride a motorbike & no one complains that there is an added cost with the safety clothing.
    It's the law & you just make allowances for it when you purchase the bike. Why would it be different for cycles?
    Yes, I thought that.

I don't know that there is any evidence that cost is what puts people off anyway, so it could be a spurious argument.
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

I don't think so. The safety benefits of wearing a helmet vs not wearing one are already self evident and if people are choosing not to wear helmets and would prefer to risk smashing their brains out then that's their choice. Making it compulsory also won't force most of these people into wearing them, it'll just turn them into criminals.