Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Cycle Helmets be Compulsory?

Cycling is a really positive activity, energetic and rewarding, plus it's a great way of getting around places.

Sadly, it can also be very dangerous. There are risks associated with cycling, mostly due to the larger vehicles that cyclists need to mingle with.

One thing that could help save lives is a cycle helmet. The head is one of the most vulnerable parts of the body and in the event of a serious accident a cycle helmet can stop the rider suffering severe injuries, brain damage or death.

From The Independent:
    Olympic gold medallist Bradley Wiggins has called for cycling helmets to be made compulsory after a man was knocked down and killed by an official London 2012 bus just outside the stadium last night. The driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

"It's dangerous and London is a busy city and a lot of traffic. I think we have to help ourselves sometimes," said Wiggins after the incident.

Last year saw a 60 per cent rise in the number of cyclists killed in London in a two-year period and last Friday, nearly 200 pro-cycling demonstrators were arrested after they allegedly breached the Public Order Act. Police said they threatened to cause a nuisance by cycling near the Olympic Park while the opening ceremony was taking place.

The issue has at times become a bitter blame-game; to the detriment of all parties, experts say. And the death of the 28-year-old last night appeared to put it back on the agenda.

He is expected to be formally identified later today. He was killed in east London when he was hit by a double-decker bus carrying journalists between Olympic venues.

The victim, who was not believed to be an athlete, was struck by the double-decker just after 7.30pm. A Metropolitan Police spokesman said a man in his mid-60s was arrested last night and is currently in custody at an east London police station.

Asked for his views on cycling safety in the capital, Bradley Wiggins said:

"I haven't lived in London for 10 to 15 years now and it's got a lot busier since I was riding a bike as a kid round here, and I got knocked off several times.

"But I think things are improving to a degree: there are organisations out there who are attempting to make the roads safer for both parties.

"But at the end of the day we've all got to co-exist on the roads. Cyclists are not ever going to go away, as much as drivers moan, and as much as cyclists maybe moan about certain drivers they are never going to go away, so there's got to be a bit of give and take."

In May this year, 'cycling Mayor' Boris Johnson claimed that nearly two-thirds of the cyclists killed on London's roads are responsible for their own deaths because they break the laws of the road.

But a 2009 study found that, when a cyclist over the age of 25 sustained serious injuries, it was the motorist at fault between 64 and 70 per cent of the time; the cyclist was found to be at fault in 23 to 27 per cent of incidents.

Cases in which a cyclist over the age of 25 died in a crash, the motorist was deemed entirely at fault in 48 to 66 per cent of incidents and the cyclist 33 to 43 per cent of the time.
    So should cycle helmets be made compulsory? Or is this needless bureaucracy?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've been baffled for years that they aren't compulsory.
    Working in London (and I'm sure you must see a lot of the same Steve) I see suit wearing Boris bikers with no helmets every day and wonder that there aren't more accidents.

Yes - I lost a great teacher Mr Vernon, who would have been saved by a bike helmet. Sure you're still vulnerable, but head injuries are terrible things.

I had a bad cycle accident in 2005, before I joined this group. I ended up toppling over my bike, smashing my head. I broke my arm, my leg was infected and I was on anti-biotics for weeks. But luckily my head was fine because I had my helmet on.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Yes. End of.
    And high visibility belts.

At the risk of sounding extremely callous, I don't believe that they should be compulsory.

Certainly, I would argue that there should be a campaign highlighting the dangers of not wearing a cycle helmet. But if people choose not to wear a helmet, then that's their choice - they are taking their life into their own hands.

But this would be just more pointless legislation. Would the police bother to enforce it? Driving with a phone to your ear is illegal, but very seldom enforced. Would this be any different?

Let people make a choice based on their own judgement.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post

Certainly, I would argue that there should be a campaign highlighting the dangers of not wearing a cycle helmet. But if people choose not to wear a helmet, then that's their choice - they are taking their life into their own hands.
    You could also make that argument against seat belts and motorcycle helmets.

Someone smashing their brains out on the road doesn't just affect them - it also affects their loved ones, witnesses, the people who have to clean up the mess...

The only argument against compulsory bike helmets that I have seen is that it puts people off cycling, which reduces overall health. That's probably the daftest thing I have heard today.
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

But this would be just more pointless legislation. Would the police bother to enforce it? Driving with a phone to your ear is illegal, but very seldom enforced. Would this be any different?
    I don't know what Police force you've been used to but around here the Police are very hot on getting people off their mobile phones whilst driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I don't know what Police force you've been used to but around here the Police are very hot on getting people off their mobile phones whilst driving.
    Things have evidently changed in the last two-or-so years! The Met never seemed to care in London!

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Yes, somethings are worth legislating for and if it's something that will help save a life, then that's all good in my book.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

You try driving anywhere in London! Winchmore Hill during term time's like Gridlock. Whole civilisations have come and gone during the average rush hour in Hendon!

On a more serious note, I've probably been misinformed again, but I'd been led to believe that cycle helmets were compulsory already. Knee and elbow pads as well. When you consider the amount of cars on the road, they certainly should be.

Quote Originally Posted by MinaHarker View Post
    You could also make that argument against seat belts and motorcycle helmets.
    In general, I'm all for less legislation on things - simplification of the law. There are things that should obviously be illegal (murder, robbery, assault etc.), but then there are things like this - I don't believe that it's the government's responsibility to tell us what to do.

People SHOULD wear bicycle helmets, seat belts, motorcycle helmets etc., because it's the sensible thing to do. But I don't think that the government should tell us that we HAVE to do it. If people know the risks, know the upset that they would cause loved ones etc. should they choose not to take these simple safety precautions, then that's their own decision.

----

But what's the argument for NOT wearing a helmet? Why don't we make it compulsory on the grounds that it will force people too stupid not to wear one to oblige, and because there's no downside to wearing one?

Si.

This is an intersting point of view, but not one I personally subscibe too. Sometimes you need the intervention to make people safe, because people aren't sensible and because accidents have more cost than just the safety of passengers/ riders etc, quite apart from reducing costs for the NHS, the Police, the Fire Service etc.

Sometimes people need to be saved from their own stupidty.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    But what's the argument for NOT wearing a helmet? Why don't we make it compulsory on the grounds that it will force people too stupid not to wear one to oblige, and because there's no downside to wearing one?

Si.
    I'm having a spirited discussion with someone who says that a helmet is "an extra cost people can't necessarily afford" and therefore they "will be denied the health benefits of cycling".

Of course one could argue that those who can't afford helmets shouldn't be able to afford a bike although cycle hire such as the Boris Bikes in London and similar schemes across the country that barrier no longer exists. However compulsory helmet purchase or hire could easily be built into such schemes?

You wouldn't give up walking because you can't afford shoes though.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Of course one could argue that those who can't afford helmets shouldn't be able to afford a bike although cycle hire such as the Boris Bikes in London and similar schemes across the country that barrier no longer exists. However compulsory helmet purchase or hire could easily be built into such schemes?
    Isn't that the fundamental problem with it? The Boris Bikes are superb. Turn up, rent a bike. No problem. How about then requiring someone to get a helmet to go with? Would it be possible to provide a rental scheme for helmets?

Would there be health problems with renting out helmets? Certainly, there are a number of scalp conditions that could be transmitted that way...

----

Quote Originally Posted by MinaHarker View Post
    I'm having a spirited discussion with someone who says that a helmet is "an extra cost people can't necessarily afford" and therefore they "will be denied the health benefits of cycling".
    That something that I certainly do agree with you on, Mina. How much does a helmet cost these days, anyway? A tenner? At most, surely only twenty quid? And you would surely buy it from the same shop you'd get the bike from, so no-one can claim inconvenience or any other silly argument like that..

----

Bowling alleys hire out shoes and plenty of foot diseases can be spread that way...

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Bowling alleys hire out shoes and plenty of foot diseases can be spread that way...
    This is true. I'm not arguing against the idea that if such a law was passed, that rental of helmets must be mandatory, too. Certainly, that would fit with such a law.

I'm really just trying to figure out whether or not it would be possible to do

----

That something that I certainly do agree with you on, Mina. How much does a helmet cost these days, anyway? A tenner? At most, surely only twenty quid? And you would surely buy it from the same shop you'd get the bike from, so no-one can claim inconvenience or any other silly argument like that..
    Especially given that bikes are often very expensive.

I admit that I can't see a solution to helmet rental for the Boris Bikes though.

I think participants would need to be allocated a helmet which they'd either purchase as their own or keep as a long-term loan for as long as they intended to use the scheme at the point of signing up.
    It certainly wouldn't be practical to have a bowling alley style arrangements all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    I think participants would need to be allocated a helmet which they'd either purchase as their own or keep as a long-term loan for as long as they intended to use the scheme at the point of signing up.
    It certainly wouldn't be practical to have a bowling alley style arrangements all over the place.
    While I think that that's a possible idea, Richard, the whole beauty of the Boris Bikes is that you can just rent one on a whim. I'm sure that there aren't that many people who rent a Boris bike with the idea of using it long-term.

----

I don't see what the problem is. Rent the bike, bring your own helmet! People rent cars, driving licenses are compulsory, we don't worry about a scheme to ensure people can afford to pass their test.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I don't see what the problem is. Rent the bike, bring your own helmet! People rent cars, driving licenses are compulsory, we don't worry about a scheme to ensure people can afford to pass their test.

Si.
    True, but I think a lot of people would probably rather not bother.

I wonder how many are put off by "helmet hair".