View Poll Results: Do you want the Forum Jump option back?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It was invaluable!

8 34.78%
  • Not fussed to be honest.

8 34.78%
  • No, I never used it.

7 30.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Bring Back the Forum Jump function?

As some of you are aware, we've had problems with the speed of navigating/posting on PS lately. One of a number of changes we made to try and free our server up was to remove the Forum Jump option from the bottom of the page.

Given that PS has a large number of mini forums, the drop down list (aka Forum Jump Menu) caused the server to work harder as it had to generate the HTML code needed every time you visit a new thread. This extra HTML increased bandwidth usage and also made loading times faster than needed. I guess most of you will not even have realised it's gone, but a few people have noticed it and asked for its return, as they used it a lot.

So, what do you think? The outcome lies with the majority...

I used to use it, and had noticed last night that it wasn't there, but it's no biggee for me either way. I would say that things seem to have been a lot slower the past day or two, though, so I'm not sure it's removal has made an awful lot of difference.

Pip Madeley Guest

It's funny, cause it's much faster for me these last couple of days...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    It's funny, cause it's much faster for me these last couple of days...
    Same here. Although i can't claim to have a real understanding of what causes these things.
    Anyway, i've never used that function. To be honest, i hadn't even noticed that it was there! I guess i just use my back button to go back to the main page, because even on dial-up it's really quick, & then i just go into the forum that i want from there.

my personal prefference is I.d much rather have it back as I always used it as I just found it so much quicker inthat you can go straight to the section you want.

I'm going to be controversial and wait until the very last minute to cast my vote. It'll all be even, and then I'll burst in at the last minute and say "WAIT! I HAVE A REVELATION THAT WILL CHANGE *EVERYTHING*!". It'll be great.

Si.

I'm not sure removing the drop down would increase performance. Roobarbs has more sub-forums than PS and the code for their forum jump menu is only 2.32k. It should be static code so shouldn't need to be newly generated every time. Avatars, titles, locations and signatures are more of a drain as they are live data.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been going from this from a vBulletin specific forum:

Use Forum Jump Menu: I have this setting turned off. If you have a large forum this will cause the server to work harder as it was to Generate the Forum Jump and then display it on the page. The Forum Jump consists of alot of html which makes the page larger which increases bandwidth usage and finally increases the code to content ratio (Search Engines may or may not take Code To Content ration into consideration when ranking a page. They do like smaller pages however). 95% of the users will not even realize it is gone. Atleast this is the case on my site.
    Nevertheless we'll be going with the majority vote - if enough people want it back, it will return. At the moment though, it seems only a fifth of users actually bothered with it. Still, days to go

It makes no odds to me. The way I browse is a bit all over the place anyway.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    I've been going from this from a vBulletin specific forum:
    His point is valid if that is how vBulletin generates its pages. He also recommends -

1. Store CSS StyleSheets as Files

By default, vBulletin will store the CSS of your pages as HTML within the head of the document. This, when taken over thousands of pages, can be quite a heavy burden.

Storing CSS Stylesheets as files will allow users/spiders to cache the CSS as a file, and make each page smaller, HTML wise, giving your server a bit of a breather.

To begin, ensure your forums/clientscript/vbulletin_css directory is chmod 777 so the stylesheet files can be created.
    Next, in the AdminCP, select the vBulletin Options menu then vBulletin Options.
    Select Style and Language Options.
    Set "Store CSS Stylesheets as Files?" to Yes.
    Click Submit.
    - which is something the OG forum uses to make itself more efficient.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I want it back! Don't care what I have to do! Woo!

It was really useful.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I used it all the time, but since it vanished I've been using Wayne's method. i'm not really fussed either way, it's just the old problem of getting used to a new way of doing things.

I'd really, really REALLY like it back!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    1. Store CSS StyleSheets as Files

By default, vBulletin will store the CSS of your pages as HTML within the head of the document. This, when taken over thousands of pages, can be quite a heavy burden.

Storing CSS Stylesheets as files will allow users/spiders to cache the CSS as a file, and make each page smaller, HTML wise, giving your server a bit of a breather.

To begin, ensure your forums/clientscript/vbulletin_css directory is chmod 777 so the stylesheet files can be created.
    Next, in the AdminCP, select the vBulletin Options menu then vBulletin Options.
    Select Style and Language Options.
    Set "Store CSS Stylesheets as Files?" to Yes.
    Click Submit.
    Thank you Lissa, I've just done that, we'll have to see if it has any noticeable effect Although I still think some of the problem comes down to sharing a busy server...

I'm with Larry, Steve, Stuart & Mat. I would really like it back.

Incidentally, I've not seen any improved speed in page loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I've not seen any improved speed in page loading.
    Same here! Really annoyingly slow.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well I'm trying my best.

I'm not complaining Pip, I'm just giving feedback in the feedback forum.

Pip Madeley Guest

Oh I know, but it's personally annoying cause I've put a lot of time into trying to fix the slow loading problem this weekend (at the expense of other things) and I guess it's beginning to rub me up the wrong way.

I thank Lissa for taking the time to look into it and making helpful suggestions.

As I always say, if PS is dragging, go and make a brew, and leave it a few minutes. But the problem isn't being ignored.

Hmm - David Tennant does look appropriately confused in your avatar! He has a kind of 'How on Earth am I gonna fix THIS?' face!

Last edited by Rob McCow; 25th Feb 2007 at 7:25 PM. Reason: It should be a picture.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Well, i'd be happy to retract my 'no' vote if people really missing that feature. Since the forum seems pretty slow at the moment, maybe it's got nothing to do with it.
    Anyway, i guess i'm not really fussed, which is what i ought've voted for.
    I appreciate Pip's efforts though, & i don't don't wanna be a pain in the ass. (well not on this issue, anyway)

Bring it all back to you.

If you are having speed issues you can switch off various elements in User CP / Edit Options

Visible Post Elements
    You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
    Show Signatures
    Show Avatars
    Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

#dammitbrent

At the moment though, it seems only a fifth of users actually bothered with it.
    I don't think you can conclude that based on how many people have responded to the poll. Lots of people might not have seen this thread yet!!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

You cut off the bit right after it - "Still, days to go" - which kind of defeats your point

As for removing avatars, images and signatures, I bet that'd cause a fuss, even if it helped speed things up... it's a lose-lose situation really.