Default 50th Anniversary News. (Spoilers)

There didn't seem to be a thread for actual news on the 50th Anniversary so here it is.

"AN ADVENTURE IN SPACE AND TIME TO MARK THE DOCTOR’S 50th BIRTHDAY

The BBC today announces that a special BBC TWO drama has been commissioned to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who next year.

An Adventure in Space and Time will tell the story of the genesis of Doctor Who since its first broadcast on 23 November 1963. Exploring all aspects of the longest running science fiction series to date, the special one off 90 minute drama will also look at the many personalities involved in bringing the series to life.

Written by Mark Gatiss, it is Executive Produced by current Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat and Caroline Skinner. The single drama was commissioned by Ben Stephenson Controller, Drama and Janice Hadlow, Controller of BBC TWO.

Mark Gatiss, Writer, said:

"This is the story of how an unlikely set of brilliant people created a true Television original. And how an actor - William Hartnell - stereotyped in hard-man roles became a hero to millions of children. I've wanted to tell this story this for more years than I can remember! To make it happen for 'Doctor Who's 50th birthday is quite simply a dream come true".

Steven Moffat, Executive Producer, said:

“The story of Doctor Who is the story of television - so it's fitting in the anniversary year that we make our most important journey back in time to see how the TARDIS was launched.”

The production and transmission schedule will be confirmed next year, along with casting."

Taken from here.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Sorry Si, For some reason I expected news of the 50th anniversary to be in the new series forum with the 50th speculation threads.

It's one of those things I wasn't sure about... it's more to do with classic Doctor Who than new Who I think, so I put it there!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

delighted to hear this news as it was some thing I was wanting for the anniversary.

A bit of actual new series news related to anniversary from the new Radio Times. Matt Smith is quoted as saying:

We want to make it as big and bold and as brilliant as we can because, we hope, it can be one of the monumental bits of TV history. But I doubt there'll be a regeneration.