Default The "new" Classic Who logo

Well, it's appeared on various photos on the official Doctor Who Facebook page recently, and someone on another forum is claiming that it's been confirmed as officially replacing what we've been used to as the official Doctor Who logo since 1999. Here it is at the bottom left of this photo:

So, basically the Pertwee/McGann logo with the Hartnell-era "wraparound" effect on it. Personally, I don't like it. I liked the simplicity of the blue colour.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Themewise, it's curious. It's understandable that they've taken the most recent Classic Series logo (somewhat spuriously enduring because it was used on the briefest - but most recent - era of pre-New Series Who) as a basis, as it's now the most familiar. But the decision to overlay the Hartnell era title sequence, presumably so the sixties as well as the seventies are represented, is just odd. It feels random.

And if we're playing that game, where's the eighties? It would perhaps have felt more of a true 'hybrid' if some of the eighties starfield flashes had been pulsing from it as well. As it is - Pertwee Logo over the Hartnell titles! WTF?!

Artistically, it's terrible. Unfortunately the Hartnell titles feature a flickery black pattern, making the logo as a whole appear as if it is 'fading' away at the edges. So rather than becoming a bold image as it should be, it looks like someone has rubbed half of it away with an eraser.

Finally, the Hartnell era also gives us the gift of monochrome - so the logo is black and white, and boring. How much better if they had given it a soft blue outline, to provide a dash of colour and define the edges. Last but not least, an uncaring BBC logo has been bolted onto the top to catch the eye and - unwisely placed as it is, overshadow the logo, like creating a beautiful picture then sticking a brick on top of the frame.

This looks like it has been created not by an artist, but by a shopping list and a process of logical deduction. Therefore the right decisions have created something absolutely awful.

I hate it.

Si.

Personally on a first glimpse, I thought it was OK. But I've never been a huge fan of that logo really anyway.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I don't mind it.

I'm firmly in the 'That's A Terrible Logo' camp.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

While I dislike it, I can put up with it, as long as they don't start putting it on the Classic Who DVDs. If they could finish off the range without changing the logo, I'll be a happy man.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Si, I don't think the Hartnell bit is representing the 1960s. I think it's representing 1963 specifically. It's a fiftieth anniversary version of the logo.

Just as the new gold version of the new series logo is a Golden Anniversary one.

It's ok, I suppose, though I''m not sure why that particular logo (Pertwee/McGann) is still so synonymous with classic series when the Baker diamond logo is possibly more representative/iconic.

It doesn't float my boat. I hope the 50th Anniversary Logo is more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    While I dislike it, I can put up with it, as long as they don't start putting it on the Classic Who DVDs. If they could finish off the range without changing the logo, I'll be a happy man.
    They only way they'd do that is if they started doing on the inside covers as they've made a point of keeping all the outer covers fairly uniform. I think a lot of fans would complain if there was a major logo change at this late stage in the game.

To be honest I can't see what this new logo can be used apart from trying to make some of the online classic series content seem more relevant to the upcoming series although I suppose BBC Books and Audiogo might make use of it but as I don't buy many of their products that wouldn't bother me.
    I hope they won't force other license holders, particularly Big Finish, to use it.

There would be such uproar if they suddenly started using this on the DVDs- just as the range was finishing. I'd laugh!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

You need cheering up, let's face it.

I'd have thought a golden diamond logo would have been more appropriate if they were going to bring out a new logo for the 50th anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    You need cheering up, let's face it.

I'd have thought a golden diamond logo would have been more appropriate if they were going to bring out a new logo for the 50th anniversary.
    I should think a diamond will be more appropriate in 2023...

I should think a diamond will be more appropriate in 2023...

I feel a bit like Tom talking to the Captain in the Pirate Planet when I look at that logo - "What's it for???" Why take a 70s logo and put a bit of the 60s title sequence in it?

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    There would be such uproar if they suddenly started using this on the DVDs- just as the range was finishing. I'd laugh!
    even if they did start using that logo I'm not quite sure how well it would stand out on the grey background.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Why take a 70s logo and put a bit of the 60s title sequence in it?
    Isn't it just that they've taken the standard logo they've been using on all the classic series merchandise for over a decade, and (as I mentioned above) put a bit of 1963 in it, in order to illustrate the fifty year anniversary that's coming up?