Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Next Universal- Episode 2 Available Now!

Brendan Jones and Simon Hart

Star in

Next Universal
    by Si Hunt

Episode 2

Good morning customers and welcome to Next Universal.
    Our special offers today include Cheese Steaks and Moon Fruits at half price
    And almost certain death in the Basement...

Click save to download now!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Great play guys! "Hold on, did I just unleash hundreds of Daleks? Oh bugger!"

I'm going to miss the homage to Tegan's Australian swearing from episode 1, "Rabbits!".

Loved it too! And agree with Tim about the spoiler tagged line!

Is it too early to describe Part Two as a sleeper hit?

'Oh Bugger' may be a new catchphrase to rival 'Geronimo!' and 'Alon-sy'. Or just be much, much better than either of those.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And I didn't even write that line!

Si.

My favourite line is where the Doctor tells the Daleks to stitch on a pair...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Especially considering they've got 28 pairs...

Si DID write that line!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Excellent stuff - a very moving and believable back story to the 'villain' (and superbly played by Dave), and a great finale. What I really liked was that , like old DW, it gave me plenty to think about both while listening to it and afterwards, and unlike NuHoo it wasn't afraid to leave some questions unanswered or some situations unresolved without waving the answers in your face. Well done Si (and Rob for his exqully fitting production).

I also enjoyed laughing at the motivational slogans of the Daleks - they seem very similar to the bu!!s#!t that management come out with at work
    Bazinga !

"Daleks do not have déjà-vu" was a great line! Will right more when I'm back in Londinium tmw.

I'd also like to point out that this episode features another debut actor for Planet Skaro: Teddy! Yes, Ali's son is playing Susan The Dalek. And rather superbly too.

"Would you like a coconut meringue, sir?!"

Great cover Steve! Thrilled!

Si.

Thank you all for your nice comments, both here and in person. I'm delighted it seems to have been such a hit, and I look forward to creating some more miracles for you in 1990 and beyond.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    "Daleks do not have déjà-vu" was a great line! Will right more when I'm back in Londinium tmw.
    Noooooh. Write. WRITE. Why is this happening? I blame the sheep.

stop being cryptic and tell me what's going on....

I agree with Steve - Teddy's Dalek was superb - well done that boy

Had to laugh at the big scary Head of HR - we have one like that work, and her dimensions mean that she does actually resemble the base of a Dalek

A great conclusion to the story with solid performances from everyone. I particularly liked the analogy of the mind being defragmented like a hard disk.

What I love about this season is the sheer variety of stories we're getting at the moment - here's to the next one

I'm really proud of the conversation between Dave Taylor and myself at the start of this episode. Dave is ever so menacing and I think I just about match up to his performance. It felt really real- a properly motivated villain, with a decent plan. Utterly bonkers but frighteningly real all the same.

Si's script for this is great. I have a feeling he was exorcising some demons while writing it, but that's not a bad thing. That what makes this story rather special and one of my favourite PS Audios. That added with Steve's great production that ups the weird atmosphere really makes this one of the finest plays we've done.

Aw, shucks!!!

Si.

hey everyone! Wow, thanks for the lovely comments! I really enjoyed listening to this one. It's such a great story and Part 2 is so satisfying. Everyone played their parts brilliantly and the production is fantastic. This is proper top notch stuff!

Ok, I am gonna single out a couple of people. Mr Hart. I normally hate hearing myself on these things but I have listened to our scenes a few times now and just love them. You are so good in this! I reckon it's the best PS pairing since Santa and Vera! :P

I really enjoyed playing this part to be honest and as much as I adore Father Xmas (when is he coming back) it was lovely to not have to worry to much about changing the voice and concentrate more on the lines. This of course leads me to the lovely Si Hunt! What lovely lines you gave me to read. They flowed off the page and just made sense! This is a genius story and you should be incredibly proud of it!

Just a quick note to say that the season is currently on hold as the TV series is on this month and we don't want to compete for attention!

The Doctor will return in Much Obliged, Doctor by Lissa Levesque at the start of October.

Very wise, Si!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

With Tom's fate left uncertain I shall be on the edge of my seat for a whole month now... probably more excited about the next three PSA stories than I am about the remaining 4 TV episodes

I like that plan!

Si.

I thought it made a kind if sense and it gives alittle more breathing space to those of us who still have stories to make before the end of the season...

I discovered this afternoon that the old phone Zel's passed on to me, is able to hold audio content... meaning that in one fell swoop I've solved two problems, one being how to pass the time while waiting to pick up Claudia from Stagecoach on a Saturday afternoon, and the second being how to get some time to properly listen to the new PS audios. So in other words, and much later than I would have liked, I've finally got around to listening to the whole of Next Universal today.

Not much point my reiterating the things people have already said, but it really is a clever story. It's a rare Who story, you can't really say "oh it's a little bit like X or Y" because it's just not. A neat idea, and what I like is that although it's apparently absurd there is (like the best Who) a fierce internal logic to it - so it all makes perfect sense, and I guess we can all sympathise with that feeling of having been passed over, or replaced, or made redundant, so even the villain isn't simply an out and out villain.

I also like the fact that not everything is tied up explicitly at the end - is that really the Monk Doctor and Rob helping save the day 'behind the scenes' or is it something else entirely? They could be 'phantoms' from the subconscious of 'Brendan' fighting to make him remember?

As ever, good performance all round (I particularly liked the pronunciation of 'police' and I also now understand why other posts have singled out "annoying" for particular praise!!!) and the whole thing sounds great, from the Dalek film FX to all the lovely sixties music. Great stuff all round!!

Thanks Andrew!

At the time, Paul had just done four years as the same character, so my thought was - if he popped up in a new audio as a different character, would people accept that? Further more, if we didn't say who he was, would people wonder if he was the Doctor? I wanted to play with the fact that we had tied Paul's voice to this one character. So you have to make your own mind up.

There are two stories which I worried might have influenced this, because let's face it Doctor Who is so huge that everything is going to be a little like some other story, somewhere... but I'm not going to say which ones they are!

Si.

There are two stories which I worried might have influenced this
    Ooh, intriguing!