View Poll Results: How would you rate Asylum of the Daleks?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Mad

1 3.13%
  • 9: Demented

7 21.88%
  • 8: Frantic

10 31.25%
  • 7: Mental

7 21.88%
  • 6: Deranged

3 9.38%
  • 5: Ludicrous

0 0%
  • 4: Illogical

1 3.13%
  • 3: Foolish

2 6.25%
  • 2: Preposterous

0 0%
  • 1: Senseless

1 3.13%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    It was slo-mo-ed to the point of being a pointless cliche
    Are we sure Peter Jackson didn't direct the episode?

I gave this one 7 out of 10 - not as great as it could have been, but still one of the more original Dalek stories in recent years. Matt Smith was on his usual top form, although I have to agree Amy and Rory's disintegrating relationship wasn't handled as well or as convincingly as it could have been. Despite this, I can understand Amy's reasons for letting Rory go, to give him the chance to have children with someone else, even if she might have appeared a trifle selfish. Credit though to Karen Gillan and th ever-reliable Arthur Darvill for their handling of this scene.

The Daleks themselves were brilliant, although I am not entirely sure why they were using those Dalek/human hybrids - great idea, though, and I enjoyed Anamaria Marinca's performance as Darla.

However, I too as hugely disappointed that despite the hype, 'Every Dalek Ever!' failed to materialise: in fact, I think I only glimpsed three old series Daleks at the most. Even when the Doctor walked through intensive care, the build-up suggested that this was the moment we were going to see all those old-style props, but no. What a wasted opportunity.

Like everyone else, I was gobsmacked to see Jenna-Louise Coleman, and this was an incredible surprise for the crew to pull off. Even a minute or so into her first appearance, I guessed that maybe she was going to make a brif cameo in each episode leading up to her joining the show - little did I realise she was going to be a central to the episode's plot. Admittedly, her character did occasionally border on the possibly irritating, but she was generally charming, witty, and showed a great deal of chemistry with Smith, despite not actually sharing any screen time, which bodes well for the future. Ultimately, her story and the revelation that she was actually a Dalek who'd dreamed a less terrible reality for herself was a tragic one, heartbreaking even, and this was the episode's major strength. I hope that her full-time return to the series does not undermine that tragedy.

Altogether an enjoyable start to the new series, with an epic feel and some striking imagery (I've not even mentioned the scary Dalek zombies and Amy's hallucination taken straight from a Pink Floyd video), and a promising introduction to a new companion - yes, it had its faults and I may question them with further viewings, but 'Asylum of the Daleks' was a strong entry to the metal meanies' (yes, I really did just say that) adventures.

Nice review, Dave!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Thank you Steve. Dave Tudor's review was better though ;-)

Nice reviews, Daves!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've finally got around to watching them for the second time this year, and with subtitles.
    Carmen plot still heartbreaking and the things that bothered me before didn't seem that strong an annoyance this time around. I think it a sequel worthy to the very first "Dalek" episode. Which considering the others had the return of Davros and fighting the Cybermen, shows it must be brilliant or I have lost adequate critique powers...
    Still happy with it being 10. I was looking to knock it down a point or two, but I still loved it.

So how would the story work as an old style 4 parter?

Part 1

We join the crew of (whoever the new companion's character was called - and she wouldn't be played by the person who is going to be the new companion) and see their ship attacked/wrecked/crashed.

The Doctor, Amy and Rory are then separately stalked and kidnapped but we don't know by who.

The 3 companions end up in a cell together, trying to piece together who took them. A Dalek enters, the dias rises up - they ascend into the Parliament of 1000's of screaming Daleks chanting "exterminate"

Part 2

The Supreme Dalek orders silence. The Doctor is to be send to the planet etc. They are sent down to the planet, separated. A bit of Rory on his own, bit of the Doctor and Amy - chased by Daleks and mutants.

Episode ends as they realise Amy has lost her bracelet.

Part 3

Probably a bit of "padding" episode. Doctor/Amy chased by Dalek mutants, Rory chased by Daleks. On the Parliament, the Daleks monitoring and saying as soon as the Doctor sends the signal, they will blow the plane out of the sky.

Episode ends with Doctor, Rory and Amy caught between the room of mad Daleks and the mutants climbing down the ladder towards them.

Part 4

"Jenna person" sends Doctor the antidote formula to cure Amy which he does. Doctor goes off to rescue Jenna/Dalek - Amy and Rory go off to teleport sight, avoiding Daleks/mutants. Doctor finds "Jenna Dalek" etc and has to leave her and as per episode... but I wouldn't have the Daleks forgetting who the Doctor is.
    A pot of coffee, 12 jammie dodgers and a fez...

Very good! To misquote Arthur Dent, "You should post that on Planet Skaro, they've got a thread for people like you" - click here to find it, bruv!