Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Welcome (Back) to Southfork! - The All New Dallas Thread

So what did we all think of the first episode of the new season of Dallas last night?

Just a note that I shan't be checking this again till I've actually watched it myself later.

I saw it and it was fab although I think it will really pick up next week,with JR back full time.My only complaint is the opening titles don't feature the actors like the original series(of which I'm a huge fan did.) Dallas is clearly filling the Desperate Housewives void,even using some of their cast and is doing it successfully

I saw it and thought it was quite good. I was expecting a bit more drama, but as has alreandy been said, once JR is back in full swing it will pick up.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Larry Hagman's eyebrows deserve a role each of their own!

Really good. I'd never seen it before but I got right into it and it seemed to get the drama going almost effortlessly, while at the same time in the best camp tradition treating completely ridiculous storylines (something about methane being extracted from the sea bed) hugely seriously. I'll certainly look forward to watching it next week.

Si.

Miranda watched the series this summer (it's already aired here). She was a fan of the old series. I never watched it back in the day and didn't watch all of this series either. Miranda really enjoyed the whole thing though, and from what I saw Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy are in it plenty.

Great stuff. Just like the Dallas of old with all the family machinations, twists and turns.
    If John Ross thinks he can outwit his father though, he's seriously under estimating him. JR will be back to his devious old self before too long.
    Can't wait for the rest of the series to unfold.

It has to be said that for a woman of 72 years old,Linda Gray as Sue Ellen(or swellen if ur an old fan) looks fantastic

My only complaint is the opening titles don't feature the actors like the original series
    Exactly what I said! Apart from that, though, a real hit - it looked better than ever of course, but was such a good 'fit' for the old series that I really enjoyed it.

She's looking great considering she's a tramp, a drunk & an unfit mother!

From what I already knew about it, I thought there'd be enough there for me to enjoy it, for nostalgia reasons alone, but they surpassed themselves (IMO) and delivered a fantastic pilot that's got me hooked already. Loved the new version of the theme tune (and wasn't fussed by the lack of the actors) too.

I may be wrong, but they seem to have already set up their 'flashback' episode, with the mention of that girl's parents dying in a plane crash....

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Really good. I'd never seen it before but I got right into it and it seemed to get the drama going almost effortlessly...
    Interesting, I felt it might be quite easy to follow for 'newbies', glad to hear that first hand.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Excellent stuff! Really enjoyed it this evening. It felt like Dallas and as Si said was as welcoming and easy to follow for newbies with enough links to the past to make it seem like the same show it always was.

For me Patrick Duffy stole the show though. Looking good and as ever the most stable member of the family! Fantastic to see him and the show back and I can't wait to see JR back on top form and being devious and cunning!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

She's looking great considering she's a tramp, a drunk & an unfit mother!

I missed her quivering lips

I knew I was going to enjoy this from the moment I saw the caption "Starring Jesse Metcalfe"

I wasn't an obsessive Dallas fan back in the day, but I did try to always watch it because at the time it was just so different from UK programmes, and soaps in particular.

Watching it again this week just felt so comfortable and familiar, and clearly the makers have taken a lot of time and trouble to build on its legacy while still bringing it up to date (are you listening, Moff ?). You could see the seeds of the storylines being sown in front of you, and already start to feel excited about where they might be going with them.

And it doesn't hurt when the new ladies are so bang tidy too
    Bazinga !

personally I was some what underwhelmed by the first episode i'll give it anther few episodes before deciding if i'm going to continue watching.

Larry's a tough crowd.

Si.

Looking forward to tonight's episode. However I'll be watching it later, and fast-forwarding the dirge of adverts!!

Same here, and trying to avoid spoliers for the original series on twatter.

"Old Fogeys like me don't email darlin' - we talk to each other personally".

A killer line from JR showing the young 'uns how it's done!

Double-crossing & weelin' & dealing is still the order of the day. Great stuff!

Another great episode. I'm still a little confused over who's double crossin' who - especially between the brothers and their two women and the weird e-mail that nobody sent, as the women all look the same! And I'm not really sure who Sue Ellen is or who she used to be married to (is it everyone?) but generally it's great and how clever of the writers to begin the show making you think that JR was going to have a cameo as a drooling old man in a chair, before unveiling him as the master manipulator behind everything. He's just great!

Si.

Sue Ellen was married to JR, and is John Ross's mother.
    Bazinga !

She was also a tramp, a drunk and an unfit mother. JR's words, not mine :-) I miss the scenes where all the family used to have breakfast outside on the shiny white table by the pool.

I have to be honest, I agree with Si Hunt about the young ladies. I'm having difficulty remembering who's who. But then again, I was so distracted by Christopher Ewing's magnificent chest that entire chunks of plot passed me by :-p

Yes, John Ross isn't exactly "turn your head away in disgust" hideous looking either. Crikey, even Patrick Duffy's a bit of a silver fox! And those pecs were a force of nature. It's no wonder we all lost the plot.

Si.