Default Guilty musical pleasures! (The "Hey there Georgy girl!!!" thread)

I've 'borrowed' a CD off my Dad called "memories are made of this"....

It's fab!

I've just been playing The Seekers' "Georgy girl" really loud and singing along (badly). Wow, now theres one song that tells you all you need to know about my love life!
    I'm now onto Des O'Connor now with his "Dick-A-Dum-Dum (King's road)", that piece of swinging '60s silliness that Morcambe and Wise used to take the piss out of everytime Des was on their show.

These tunes are cheering me up no end, but I wouldn't normally draw to much attention to the fact! So my question to you is- which music do you sometimes listen to which (quite frankly) treads a fine line between brilliance and shite, and may well be a bit embarassing if it was brought up in the pub?

Actually, I think everyone I meet in the pub wouldn't be surprised I was listening to "Georgy girl"
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

WhiteCrow Guest

Lets see I keep quiet that on my MP3 player are the following artists ...

* Steeleye Span - put them on by mistake but they're still there
    * Aqua/B*witched - no really they might be making a comeback
    * Genesis - I hate Phil Collins since I got dumped during one of his songs
    * ELO - lover them as a kid, and it's nothing to do with Love & Monsters.

Roger Whittaker, his songs are quite different from the 70s stuff I usually go for. New World In The Morning, Mammy Blue, The Last Farewell and even his cover of The Skye Boat Song with Des O'Connor is quite listenable.

John Denver, writer of Take Me Home Country Roads, Rocky Mountain High Annie's Song, and a whole host of songs too numerous to mention in one thread.

I'd also mention the schmaltzyness, saccarin sweet big ballads of Barry Manilow, which I'm quite partial to, Nothing like Could It Be Magic, Even Now and Somewhere in The Night to get the tears rolling.

Ones that fit the bill but raise my spirits no end :

The Carpenters - Mr Postman
    Andy Williams - Up Up and away (in my beautiful baloon)
    Frank Sinatra - The Girl from Ipanema
    Olivia Newton John - Country Roads
    Elton john & Kiki Dee - Don't Go Breaking my Heart

Thats enough revelation for now...

Wayne Guest

I have no musical guilty secrets. I'm loud n' proud about everything i listen to!
    Even 'Look at Me' by Geri Halliwell!

Me too. I could easily distort the bands I like (and, to be fair, I might do this a little if asked at work) and answer Stereophonics, Oasis, Dylan (actually some of you might think that one's something to guiltely hide) and REM. But in reality it also includes such unfashionables as Robbie Williams, Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, Beautiful South, Hanson, Aqua and Aaron. I don't really care though - I might leave off a few of those in the workplace to avoid having to explain them, but I'd proudly justify them in my home.

I think Carol should be proud of everything she listens to and not worry about what other people might consider music requiring "guilt"!

Si.

Trudi G Guest

I listen to whatever i'm in the mood to listen to, don't care who its by, what genre of music it is or anything! I will quite happily dance to 'I Like Big Butts' after a couple of drinks, lol!

I draw the line at Westlife tho...

I haven't seen anything anyone should be embarassed of here. Barry Manilow is great as are the Carpenters.

I am mildly embarassed about downloading Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol. I hate Snow Patrol you see and always have, yet that song is so catchy and the soppy daft lyrics seem to get to me. Gits.

By the way I'm a huge Neil Diamond fan. That's reasonably embarassing surely

Captain Tancredi Guest

A curious little album which I bought during my student days called "How the World Wags- Social Music for a 17th Century Englishman". Basically it's a collection of alternately bawdy and sentimental songs, although the pinnacle is surely Purcell's 'Pox on you for a fop'. It amuses me that the same man who composed something as sublime as Dido's lament could also write a round on the subject of the breaking of wind and the dropping of smelly ones in particular. Also gives you an insight into what the English department at Bristol was like in my time there...

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I think Carol should be proud of everything she listens to and not worry about what other people might consider music requiring "guilt"!

Si.
    I'm not being entirely serious you know. But "Dick-a-dum-dum" is cheesy shit, and I certainly wouldn't want to be hearing it at certain times and places!
    Perhaps the term "Guilty pleasure" is being taken too literally?

Bob Dylan certainly is not the kind of thing I was thinking of when I started this thread!
    I like Roger Whittaker too! And Neil Diamond! It's quite subjective really...

Aqua though....now come on!
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Aqua were secretely great! I wonder if Carol has heard "We Belong To The Sea"? Or "Be The Man"? Even the pop hits like "Doctor Jones", "Bumble Bees" and "Cartoon Heroes" are works of twisted bubblegum genius. And not forgetting the sublime "Turn Back Time"!

Si.

Jody owns the Aqua album.

I own both. And a Homemade Best Of. I've said too much.

Is this the right thread on which to reveal that I've just ordered "Whigfield's Greatest Hits"? She had a fourth album in Europe!

Si.

Is someone looking for cheesy sh*te?

I'm proud of all these gems I've recently rediscovered in the bottom five hundred of my CD single collection:

Girlfriend - 'Take It From Me' and 'Girl's Life'
    Whigfield - 'Saturday Night'
    Scatman John - 'Scatman's World'
    Twenty 4 Seven Feat Captain Hollywood - 'Are You Dreaming?' (plus the 'Street Moves' album)
    Jason Donovan - 'Mission of Love'
    Oceanic - 'Insanity' and 'Controlling Me'
    Mr Blobby - 'Mr Blobby'
    Undercover - 'Baker Street' and 'Never Let Her Slip Away'
    Ace of Base - All That She Wants', 'The Sign' and 'Lucky Love'
    Alison Jordan - 'Boy From New York City' (she won a talent thingy on That's Life, or something!?)
    Jon Secada - 'Just Another Day' and 'Do You Believe In Us'
    Mike Fab Gere and the Permsissive Society - 'See Emily Play'
    Urban Cookie Collective - 'The Key The Secret'
    Linford Christie - 'Keep On Running'
    Johnny Griggs - 'When You Go Away' (theme from 'Eldorado' written by Simon May)
    Union - 'You Are The Number One' (theme from ITV's Euro 92' coverage. With Paul Young from Mike & The Mechanics)
    Girl Thing - 'Last One Standing'
    Lindy Layton - 'Silly Games'
    Grid - 'Swamp Thing'
    Aqua - 'Barbie Girl', 'Doctor Jones' and 'Turn Back Time'
    HWA featuring Sonic The Hedgehog - 'Supersonic'
    Let Loose - 'Crazy For You' and the epic ' Everybody Say Everybody Do'
    Cliff Richard - 'More To Life' (the award winning theme to Trainer. co-written by Mike Read)
    B*Witched - 'C'est La Vie', 'Rollercoaster' and the mighty 'Jesse Hold On'
    Betty Boo - 'Where Are You Baby', 'Let Me Take You There' and 'I'm On My Way'
    Doop - 'Doop'
    Reel 2 Real featuring The Mad Stuntman - 'I Like To Move It'
    Charles & Eddie - 'Would I Lie To You'
    Michael Ball -'One Step Out Of Time'
    Len - 'Steal My Sunshine'
    Color Me Badd - 'I Wanna Sex You Up'
    Vanilla - 'No Way No Way'
    U96 - 'Das Boot' and 'I Wanna Be A Kennedy'
    Shampoo - 'Girl Power' and 'Viva La Megababes'
    MN8 - I've Got A Little Something For You'
    Sophie Lawrence - 'Love's Unkind'
    All-4-One - 'I Swear'
    WWF All Stars - 'Slam Jam' (Simon Cowell's finest hour)
    Ambassador's of Funk (Feat MC Mario) - 'Supermarioland'
    Rednex - 'Cotton Eye Joe' and 'Old Pop In An Oak'
    KWS - 'Please Don't Go/Game Boy' and 'Rock Your Baby'

Also found about a dozen 2 Unlimited singles, thirteen Take That releases, nine East 17, seven Cathy Dennis efforts, three Boyz II Men/Celine Dion/Toni Braxton and two by Robson & Jerome!!

Still got about half my CD collection and all my tapes/vinyl to dig through! I shall return...

I think I've got most of those too.

I'm not sure I entirely get onboard with the idea of guilty pleasures, but on a semi-related note, and knowing that Miss B likes a bit of Sandie Shaw, I wondered if anyone had been to sandieshaw.com to officially download for free the 2007 version of Puppet On A String? Sandie never liked the original and has reimagined it as a lightly electro lounge number renamed Puppet's Got A Brand New String.

I like it!

We downloaded "Puppet on A String 2007" last week after TOTP2 tipped us the wink. I was hoping for a arms in the air dance version but alas it was not to be. The new one sounds like "Eternal Flame" or "Whiter Shade of Pale".

It's nice. We've put it on a CD we've been making.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm pretty proud of all the music I listen to.

Yes, even S-S-S-Single Bed by Fox.

Hey, that's a good song!

Me, I have nothing to contribute to this thread, as my CD and record collection consists entirely of highly respected and very worthy artistes.

*cough* Atomic Kitten *cough*