View Poll Results: How would you rate Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Tyrannosaurus Rx

4 12.12%
  • 9: Velicoraptor

4 12.12%
  • 8: Apatasaurus

10 30.30%
  • 7: Stegosaurus

8 24.24%
  • 6: Pterodactyl

3 9.09%
  • 5: Triceratops

1 3.03%
  • 4: Brachiosaurus

0 0%
  • 3: Diplodocus

0 0%
  • 2: Iguanodon

0 0%
  • 1: Anklyosaurus

3 9.09%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

No problems here with the Doctor 'killing' Soloman. In some ways he wasn't doing that, he was 'saving' the dinosaurs and it was a by-product. Perhaps if Soloman had begged for mercy it might have been different, but he didn't, he simply promised to give the Doctor anything he wanted, which the Doctor knows must involve taking something away from someone else.

And can you blame him, he must feel that now he's let down the Silurian race three times...

Maybe he should have bludgeoned him over the head with a big rock or a shovel...?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

OK, I'm not really that worried about the morality of the end scene, but personally I would have found another way. It would have been just as easy to turn Soloman over to the authorities and have his ship blown up.

Question: Is Soloman really any different from Captain Avery? Both were obsessed with possessions.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Question: Is Soloman really any different from Captain Avery? Both were obsessed with possessions.
    Well I know what you mean, but for me Avery was shown to be very different, a family man for whom things had gone wrong.

I watched it for a second time the other night, and still enjoyed it immensely. My one problem with the script, if I do have one, is that surely there's something aboard of more value than Queen Nefertiti. The Tardis, for one, which should still be in any databases, even if the Doctor himself has "ceased to exist". And surely the value of a man that doesn't exist must be sky high too?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I don't think the Doctor not being recognised need necessarily have anything to do with what happened last year. He and Rose weren't recognised by the computer systems in The Long Game either, when they couldn't be identified.

It's perhaps more a case of different sources of information varying in different eras and places. So, the people in the era where River Song was born and where the Tesselecta came from, which is probably around the 51st Century, had some knowledge of the Doctor, and records about him. Whereas Solomon, who comes from the year 2367 according to this episode, doesn't. Nor did the Editor, who comes from an Earth Empire of the year 200 000.

Earth in a pre-20th Century era might not have official records of the Doctor. On the other hand, in an era where there was access to UNIT records of him, there might be some. Essentially, I don't think we have to conclude, on the strength of what was contained in last year's series, that every era and every place will have accessible records about the Doctor. Just that some of them might.
    Last edited by Logo Polish; 14th Sep 2012 at 6:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    I don't think the Doctor not being recognised need necessarily have anything to do with what happened last year. He and Rose weren't recognised by the computer systems in The Long Game either, when they couldn't be identified.
    You're right, of course (although TLG was in relation to just the Human Race), but it's very clear already (IMO) that this year's 'crack in time' or 'Amy Pregnant/Not Pregnant' moments are going to be along the lines of 'Who Is The Doctor?'. They ended the last series with it, and episode 1 of this year's.

Earth in a pre-20th Century era might not have official records of the Doctor. On the other hand, in an era where there was access to UNIT records of him, there might be some. Essentially, I don't think we have to conclude, on the strength of what was contained in last year's series, that every era and every place will have accessible records about the Doctor. Just that some of them might.
    True, on the other hand you could argue that the Doctor was famous across the Universe when Stonehenge was built. And I thought Soloman's device was an 'Argos for the Universe'.....

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Surely the value of a man that doesn't exist must be sky high too?
    I suspect the computer (computer's being rather literal creatures) would simply have failed to assign a value to the Doctor, not having recognised him - while the (inside of the) TARDIS might not have been accessible to the computer's scanners.

Quite possibly, yes, but I was talking about Soloman rather than the computer. Surely he would have recognised the value of such a thing, especially as he expressed such surprise at that outcome when the Doctor was scanned.

True, on the other hand you could argue that the Doctor was famous across the Universe when Stonehenge was built.
    It's been theorised that the Daleks kindly gave all the other monster races a lift back into the past for that event...

Of course, the rebooting of the universe in that story also means there's a possibility that the whole Pandorica thing hasn't happened now.

"History can be re-written"

Translates as:

"We don't give a flying monkeys about continuity any more!"
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Ok, then there's the three school children at the end of 'Closing Time' who even knew who he was!

I know....re-written....

"History can be re-written"

Translates as:

"We don't give a flying monkeys about continuity any more!"
    Bob Holmes would have been proud!

The hats are very Resurrection of The Daleks. Or Thunderbirds.

Ok, then there's the three school children at the end of 'Closing Time' who even knew who he was!

I know....re-written....
    There isn't anything to indicate that they knew who he was before he met them. Indeed, just about the first thing he says to them is to introduce himself as the Doctor. All the children, when interviewed as adults, simply talk about the impression he made on them during the encounter, with one saying he thought he was a cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Those robots soon became annoying and were far more menacing when they kept the gobs shut. I enjoyed Mark Williams as Rory's Dad but Amy was back to her irritating self again.

I'll give this a 7. Nowhere as good as last week.
    i gave it a 6, anyone see those robots and think " oo , it's the "titan the robot " brothers in costume! http://youtu.be/ROQ9Zzq6j1Q link relevant

History being rewritten has nothing to do with not giving a monkeys about continuity. It's to ensure that past-set adventures in a time travel series maintain some threat, or else every historical story could be passed off as "well we know it was ok because we've been to the twentieth century"

Si.

It serves both our purposes equally well and will allow Moffat to control the food supplies for the Whooooooooooooole Galaxy!

It serves both our purposes equally well and will allow Moffat to control the food supplies for the Whooooooooooooole Galaxy!

So now I have to go to that manky b*****d for my cheese sarnies and peanut butter chunky Kitkats, eh? I'm sending The Lads round!

And, of course, the Doctor wasn't called in by the ISA. He picks up the story from his "News Feed" on his psychic paper- we then cut to him having ingratiated himself into ISA (in what would have been Part 1 in the 1974 version!).

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Screw Arthur Weasley... as Whitney and I realised this evening, it's Olaf f***ing Petersen!!!!

This post was brought to you by ALCOHOL!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

You ain"t seen him, right?

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

"This week I 'as been mostly travelling by dinosaur "
    Bazinga !

"I was walkin' down the road, and there were these cubes!

"I'll get me coat..."