Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Bring back the artwork covers, I say. Although I still think that the Target book covers for Traken and Logopolis were the best they've had. And I really like the Castrovalva Target book cover as well, even though I know it's rubbish.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Bring back the artwork covers, I say. Although I still think that the Target book covers for Traken and Logopolis were the best they've had. And I really like the Castrovalva Target book cover as well, even though I know it's rubbish.

just going from memory I'm sure the book cover was just a blow up photo of Peter Davisons's face..

And the Traken one was just Nyssa, Melkur and a whole lot of white. You're losing your mind, McCow!!

it's up for pre-order on Galaxy 4 and i've just put my order in..

Surely it'll be half as cheap on Play.com, Amazon or Sendit, Larry?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Surely it'll be half as cheap on Play.com, Amazon or Sendit, Larry?

Si.

it is but I've been a loyal customer of Galaxy 4 for about 4 years now I know they are a bit more pricey than other retailers but i've all ways had an excelent service from them and because of that I'm more than happy to pay that little bit extra.

I'm really looking forward to this release. The covers look lovely and the extras are superb.

I have mixed feelings about the Anthony Ainley commentary. As I'm sure most of you know, I am a little obsessed with Anthony. (I am actually his lovechild). I've waited for so long for this commentary and am looking forward to it. At the same time, it feels so final. This is probably the last new thing of Ainley's that we will ever hear.

As a kid, if I was reading a really good book, I used to get a bit sad as I could see it ending. Ins some cases, I would even slow down my reading. This is how I feel about the commentary.

I think I may possibly be a little weird!

Dave xx

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    You're losing your mind, McCow!!
    On the contrary my dear Curnow! I'm just ready for the final meeting of The Doctor... with his Master!!

No, I really did like the Traken Target book cover. It's very well painted.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    it is but I've been a loyal customer of Galaxy 4 for about 4 years now I know they are a bit more pricey than other retailers but i've all ways had an excelent service from them and because of that I'm more than happy to pay that little bit extra.
    That's a fair enough reason. But personally, I'd rather buy from the cheapest retailer - usually a tenner or less...

Wayne Guest

Not that i want Larry to feel hassled by it, but:
    'The Invasion' from Amazon 9.99.
    'The Invasion' from Galaxy Four: 19.99.
    Twice the price is more than just 'that little bit extra'.
    It's your choice Larry, but it seems to me like you're just throwing good money away.
    Last edited by Wayne; 30th Nov 2006 at 8:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Not that i want Larry to feel hassled by it, but:
    'The Invasion' from Amazon 9.99.
    'The Invasion' from Galaxy Four: 19.99.
    Twice the price is more than just 'that little bit extra'.
    It's your choice Larry, but it seems to me like you're just throwing good money away.
    to be fair you can't really compare Amazon with Galaxy 4, as Amazon is a huge retailer and can afford to put their prices down while Galaxy 4 is just a shop in Sheffield. So naturaly they can't compete with the big internet suppliers and so can't afford to sell their DVD's or CD audios at knock down prices.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    to be fair you can't really compare Amazon with Galaxy 4, as Amazon is a huge retailer and can afford to put their prices down while Galaxy 4 is just a shop in Sheffield. So naturaly they can't compete with the big internet suppliers and so can't afford to sell their DVD's or CD audios at knock down prices.
    Maybe so, but then that's not really the point.......

Anyway, it's up to you.

I've heard of store loyalty, but to pay twice the price because a shop has simply not let you down, when all the internet suppliers mentioned have impeccable reputations anyway, is being very generous. I mean, you can do what you like but... blimey, I wouldn't.

Si.

But then people turn and say 'isn't this terrible? All these big corparations are driving the little guy out of business." A friend of my Dad's owned a small grocery/convenience/hardware store in a small town. He was only making money on the groceries and just a little at that. He said he decided to go to Wal Mart to check the prices out. They had some of the same tools on their shelf for less money that what he could buy them at at cost. He decided to close his store after that.

Of course, I'm still going to shop at Wal Mart because they have the lowest prices. But it seems to me that if you appreciate a store like the one in question, and you don't want to see them driven out of business, and you can afford to pay more and don't mind doing so because you want to help this store stay in business, then there's no reason not to.

Just a different viewpoint.

Wayne Guest

In principle i agree. For example; i like to support my local computer shop for CDs DVDr's etc... Even though i could get them about 20% or so cheaper on-line.
    But if he was literally double the price then i'm afraid i'd drop him like a hot brick.
    Last edited by Wayne; 30th Nov 2006 at 11:37 PM.

Also you have to think if it really is a "small fry" store. I mean, I would buy groceries and meat from a local store if it were convenient, even if it meant paying more, because I think keeping small businesses afloat is important. And good on Larry if it's because Galaxy Four is one of the very few Doctor Who dedicated shops and he wants to keep them open.

But on the other hand, technically they are just another business and I wouldn't pay double the cost just because they are slightly smaller than Amazon. For the sake of debate, you could draw all kinds of implications really - are you doing someone else (a charity?) out of the 10 you would save if you bought from the cheaper store? Are you keeping in business a store that might be conning people who don't have access to the Internet (or who are ignorant of the alternatives) out of paying twice what they need to for a Doctor Who DVD? How many times have I seen older folk about to buy a CD or a book for more than they need to because it's for a present and they don't know anything about what they should expect to pay...

Just some thoughts...

Si.

Looks like this release is recommended by my idol:

Have seen the covers to the 'New Beginings' DVD Set of Doctor Who with 'The Keeper Of Traken', 'Logopolis' and 'Castrovalva' and those are excellent covers and the extra's sound cool. Wedge Antillies narrates of the extra's
    Wedge makes me stiff!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-O...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd Up for pre-order at Amazon. (slap me if you already know)

James finally posted the OG quote I've been holding back on.

Edited to add: Whoever James is.....
    Last edited by Perry Vale; 5th Dec 2006 at 10:29 AM.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Captain Tancredi Guest

Amazon today sent me an email inviting me to order from them.

Which is rather strange, considering that I pre-ordered it from them yesterday.

I got that email too - but as their price is almost a fiver more than Sendit, the mail has gone in the bin!

I've got it preordered (from Play) as a Christmas present, which will make it tricky to unwrap on Monday, but will probably make the dreary January days that bit more exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    I got that email too - but as their price is almost a fiver more than Sendit, the mail has gone in the bin!
    Yeah, @ 17.89 @ Sendit you just can't go wrong can you! Mine's pre-ordered.

I'm surprised they aren't doing a simultaneous (or close to it) R1 release. They have with the last two box sets, and this one is Tom Baker heavy. What gives?