Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default New Beginnings (give us your reviews!)

Just been onto the Galaxy 4 , web site and I see that this box set has now been re-named as "New Beginnings" - don't seem very original when you think last years was called "The Beginning"..

I agree it's a rubbish title. Perhaps they should rename the first box set 'Old Beginnings'?

Well, we'll probably put the actual box in a cupboard when it turns up, so they could call it 'I Know So Little About Telebiogenesis Beginnings' and it wouldn't matter. It'll still be The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva to us!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

i hope they do this with other linked stories, but then what sort of the beginings can they be?

E-space- Adric Beginings?
    Black Gaurdian- Ginger Beginings?
    Key to Time- season arc beginings?

Wayne Guest

I like Traken, but Logopolis & Castrovalva are sleep inducing. So i won't be buying it.

I'm starting to think that you don't fancy Sarah Sutton after all. I'll be buying it for Aunt Vanessa alone!

Er-anyway... do we have a list of special features? I seem to remember they looked pretty exciting for this release, including an Ainley commentary! Surely that's worth the cover value alone!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

The Keeper of Traken

Commentary from Anthony Ainley, Matthew Waterhouse and Sarah Sutton & Johnny Byrne.
    Being Nice to Each Other (dur. 30' 04") - a new documentary looking at the making of this story through the eyes of the cast and crew. Featuring actors Sarah Sutton, Sheila Ruskin, Geoffrey Beevers, director John Black, writer Johnny Byrne and script editor Christopher H. Bidmead. Narrated by George Williams.
    The Return of the Master (dur. 08' 40") - Geoffrey Beevers, Christopher H. Bidmead and John Black talk about how they realised the return of the Doctor's arch-adversary.
    Sarah Sutton on Swap Shop (dur. 11' 14") - Noel Edmonds interviews Sarah Sutton, with questions phoned in from young viewers.
    Trails and Continuities (dur. 5' 55") - TV trails and continuity announcements.
    Isolated Music - isolated synchronous music from the story.
    PDF Material - the 1980 Doctor Who Annual, Radio Times listings for 'The Keeper of Traken' and the BBC Enterprises Season 18 sales literature as Adobe pdf files for viewing on PC or Mac.

And the usual subtitles and photo gallery.

Logopolis

Commentary from actors Tom Baker,Janet Fielding & writer Christopher H. Bidmead.
    A New Body at Last (dur. 50' 20") - a new documentary covering the transition from Tom Baker to Peter Davison. Featuring actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Matthew Waterhouse, Sarah Sutton and Adrian Gibbs, script editor Christopher H. Bidmead, directors Peter Moffatt and John Black. Narrated by Denis Lawson.
    Nationwide - Tom Baker (dur. 4' 30") - an interview with Tom Baker.
    Nationwide - Peter Davison (dur. 3' 40") - an interview with Peter Davison.
    Pebble Mill at One - Peter Davison (dur. 12' 00") - Peter Davison interview.
    News Items (dur. 1' 55") - a selection of BBC News items, including reports on Tom Baker and Lalla Ward's wedding, the announcement of Tom Baker's departure and Peter Davison's arrival.
    Continuities (dur. 2' 23") - continuity announcements for the story.
    PDF Material - the 1980 Doctor Who Annual, Radio Times listings for 'Logopolis' and the BBC Enterprises Season 18 sales literature as Adobe pdf files for viewing on PC or Mac.

Castrovalva

Commentary from Peter Davison,Janet Fielding, Fiona Cumming & Christopher H. Bidmead.
    Being Doctor Who (dur. 13' 29") - Peter Davison discusses his casting and time as the fifth Doctor.
    Directing Castrovalva (dur. 11' 19") - Fiona Cumming talks about directing the story.
    The Crowded TARDIS (dur. 11' 25") - by the end of Tom Baker's tenure, the TARDIS crew had grown from the usual one companion to three. This featurette examines the reasons behind this change of direction. Featuring actors Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton, director John Black and script editor Christopher H. Bidmead. Narrated by George Williams. 16:9FHA
    Blue Peter - Peter Davison (dur. 9' 15") - Peter Davison interviewed.
    Swap Shop - Peter Davison (dur. 20' 40" ) - Noel Edmonds interviews Peter Davison.
    Deleted Scenes (dur. 1' 34") - two deleted scenes from the story.
    Continuities and Trailers (dur. 5' 28") - continuity announcements and TV trailers for the story.
    Theme Music Video (dur. 3' 34") - a brand new remix of Peter Howell's version of the theme music for the series, exclusively remixed from the original multitrack master. Option to listen to the music in either stereo (default) or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround versions.
    PDF Material - the 1980 Doctor Who Annual, Radio Times listings for 'Castrovalva' and the BBC Enterprises Season 19 sales literature as Adobe pdf files for viewing on PC or Mac.

just the usual bog standard extras then..

Extras cleared by the BBFC.....

Logopolis:-

00:00:09:12 (CONTINUITIES 1)
    00:00:11:09 (CONTINUITIES 2)
    00:00:08:22 (CONTINUITIES 3)
    00:00:12:09 (CONTINUITIES 4)
    00:01:19:18 (CONTINUITIES 5)
    00:00:05:04 (CONTINUITIES 6)
    00:00:12:15 (CONTINUITIES 7)
    00:04:30:04 (NATIONWIDE - TOM BAKER INTERVIEW)
    00:03:40:01 (NATIONWIDE - PETER DAVISON INTERVIEW)
    00:11:59:24 (PEBBLE MILL AT ONE - PETER DAVISON INTERVIEW)
    00:01:55:03 (NEWS ITEMS)
    00:05:04:09 LOGOPOLIS - PHOTO GALLERY
    00:50:19:19 A NEW BODY AT LAST

Castrovalva:-

00:03:33:02 (THEME MUSIC VIDEO)
    00:09:14:16 (BLUE PETER - DAVISON INTERVIEW)
    00:00:31:05 (EASTER EGG)
    00:00:38:14 DELETED SCENE 1 - EARTHQUAKE
    00:00:55:05 DELETED SCENE 2 - DEMATERIALISATION
    00:00:25:07 (TRAILER 1)
    00:00:32:09 (TRAILER 2)
    00:00:18:07 (CONTINUITY 1)
    00:00:23:14 (CONTINUITY 2)
    00:00:21:17 (CONTINUITY 3)
    00:00:46:21 (TRAILER 3)
    00:00:19:11 (CONTINUITY 4)
    00:00:24:23 (CONTINUITY 5)
    00:00:16:06 (CONTINUITY 6)
    00:00:31:22 (TRAILER 4)
    00:00:05:06 (CONTINUITY 7)
    00:00:23:10 (CONTINUITY 8)
    00:00:17:20 (CONTINUITY 9)
    00:00:12:22 (CONTINUITY 10)
    00:20:39:22 (PETER DAVISON ON SWAP SHOP)
    00:11:24:10 THE CROWDED TARDIS
    00:05:18:13 CASTROVALVA - PHOTO GALLERY
    00:13:29:03 BEING DOCTOR WHO - IN CONVERSATION WITH PETER DAVISON
    00:11:16:22 DIRECTING CASTROVALVA
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Pip Madeley Guest

It seems one of the features has been classified as a 12, but Steve Roberts explains:

Due to a clip from the Leisure Hive studio, in which Tom Baker can be lipread saying "and then I throw this ****ing dreary prop...". We bleeped the audio, but left the video - just exactly as we did when we used the same clip on the Leisure Hive disc, which they passed with a PG!

Anyhow, we've resubmitted a version with the video obfuscated as well, so hopefully by the time it comes out it will be PG again!
    So all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    just the usual bog standard extras then..
    You say that like it's a bad thing Larry! Compared to what other shows get the Doctor Who DVDs are really well looked after.

These DVDs look awesome and since it's one of my favourite periods of the show I'm really looking forward to them!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

What Si said.

I love the extras, they really make me want to see the DVD's. Like Mark of the Rani, I would not have watched it had it not been for the extras.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing Larry! Compared to what other shows get the Doctor Who DVDs are really well looked after.

These DVDs look awesome and since it's one of my favourite periods of the show I'm really looking forward to them!

Si xx
    not at all compared to what we get on the season box sets the extras on the majority of old series releases have been excelent and very enjoyable to watch.

Two of my all-time favourite stories, and even The Keeper of Traken has a lot to recommend it, this is already lining up to be the DVD release of 2007. I can't wait, and have been quoting bits of Castrovalva, and humming the incidentals for Logopolis for weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Two of my all-time favourite stories, and even The Keeper of Traken has a lot to recommend it, , this is already lining up to be the DVD release of 2007, I can't wait, and have been quoting bits of Castrovalva, and humming the incidentals for Logopolis for weeks now.

well they are certainly going to have to go some to beat the first 3 releases of 2006 which for me has been the best year so far..
    Last edited by Larry; 23rd Nov 2006 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I like Traken, but Logopolis & Castrovalva are sleep inducing. So i won't be buying it.
    C'mon Wayne, give the 80's a break. Logopolis is a great, moody send-off for Tom, and Castrovalva is a superb way to ease your way into the new Doctor (fnaaar fnaaar), besides, Anthony Ainley is excellent in his dual role!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lord President View Post
    C'mon Wayne, give the 80's a break. Logopolis is a great, moody send-off for Tom, and Castrovalva is a superb way to ease your way into the new Doctor (fnaaar fnaaar), besides, Anthony Ainley is excellent in his dual role!
    Yes, Ainley is very good in his dual role in 'Keeper of the Traken'. And it's a good story.

It's not about the '80s' - There are plenty of 80's stories i like. But not Logopolis or Castrovalva, both of which i find dull in the extreme.
    Last edited by Wayne; 25th Nov 2006 at 1:03 AM.

Default Doctor Who and the Triple Bill of Delight

OK Wayne, we'll have to agree to disagree (once again). I love all three of these stories and will be adding this boxset to my collection at the first opportunity!
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,

I like the sounds of the this set, with the stories and their extras...

but I HATE the new title! it's awful! I really wish they'd stuck with The Return of the Master.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wayne Guest

I love all three of these stories and will be adding this boxset to my collection at the first opportunity!
    I might get to see the extras then.
    Last edited by Wayne; 25th Nov 2006 at 1:18 AM.

Pip Madeley Guest

I really don't mind, it's the content I'm interested in, and anyway, when they're on my shelf you'll only be able to see the spines of the individual DVDs, so it'll never matter!

I'm really looking forward to the cleaned up film from Castrovalva, it looks gorgeous on the RT article!

Teresa Guest

I also very much like the sound of this set (title is awful though!!)
    (although, have no plans of buying it atm... will just be boring someone else's!! )
    and just to comment... I really Like Logopolis!
    (it meant a lot to me as a child, and even now i think it is a good story!

Teresa
    xx

Default Doctor Who and the Contentious Rename

I don't know, I think it is an ideal title for the trilogy. It is heaving with newness and beginningossity! New Master, New Doctor, New TARDIS crew, and a feeling tha Doctor Who will never be the same again, for better or worse. A New Beginning indeed!

I don't know, I think it is an ideal title for the trilogy. It is heaving with newness and beginningossity! New Master, New Doctor, New TARDIS crew, and a feeling tha Doctor Who will never be the same again, for better or worse. A New Beginning indeed!
    but surely because it's Tom's final two stories "new Beginnings" it's a contradiction in terms wouldn't a better title of been "Endings & New Beginnings"..

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    but surely because it's Tom's final two stories "new Beginnings" it's a contradiction in terms wouldn't a better title of been "Endings & New Beginnings"..
    But it's also a new beginning as Nyssa, the Master and Tegan are all introduced in Tom's last stories... I think 2|entertain should produce an exclusive version of the set for Amazon, naturally called 'Return Of The Master', that way each base is covered...

I think they should have called it "Exits and Entrances" because then we could have had days of fun posting things about 'entering Nyssa' and the like...

Or, alternatively, "The Bumper Bidmead Boxset"!