Thread: Kenny Everett

Default Kenny Everett

Did anyone watch the stuff on Kenny Everett last night? I've still got the biopic to watch, but came back from dinner with my brother and loved the two compilations from the Kenny Everett Video Show.

As a kid I absolutely adored him! I loved the characters- Cupid, Sid Snot, Marcel Wave, Brother Lee Love... but best of all, Reg Precott, the accident prone TV Handyman, with the copious spurts of blood!

Were you a fan too?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

He was a bit before my time but I hope to catch the biopic which thankfully is repeated on Sunday evening.

I've seen the first best of - still very funny! And yes the Rod Stewart sketch was there! I used to love Ev - both on TV and radio. People forget what an innovator he was on the radio.

The biopic was very good - but I didn't like the style of delivery. They used his characters (Sid Snott Et al) to move the story along - I don't think it needed it. It came across as too gimicky. Also, the last few years of his life were hardly touched upon.

Marcel Wave was my fave character - he's making me smile just thinking about him, and that daft music that was played in the background.

I used to find him a bit scary- not quite sure why, but UI was very young when i first saw those sketches, so maybe the music creeped me out or something. Now, I just think they're incredibly clever- the blend of video effects and live action is really well done.

Time to look out the *ahem* DVDs I have of the Video show again... I wish I had more than I've got

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Before Radio 1 started, the "Execs" asked him (and Tony Blackburn) how the self-op radio studios should be designed. Ev was also heavily involved in the lyricing (is that a word?) of Radio 1's first jingle package from Dallas. So all in all, he was very influential in Radio 1's conception. A pity they sacked him ;-)

Didn't everyone!

I was pleased to hear that a lot of his radio stuff was taken in by the National Sound Archive for preservation a few years ago. Some of his BBC material is available on cassette and CD if anyone's interested, variously titled Kenny Everett At the Beeb and Remembering Kenny Everett.

Oh, and BBC 4Extra's playing a Kremmen serial this week and for the following four weeks Monday-Friday at about 7.25 PM.

The jokes are predictable. But... Kenny makes them funny. He's excellent. And it's not just his visuals. I'd love to listen to some of his radio shows for the jingles he did. I remember growing up in the 80's and I always made the time for Kenny. On both ITV and the BBC.
    He would have made a dreadful Doctor Who! But imagine the show you'd get if JNT commissioned him to write a story. Kenny Everett script edited by Eric Saward.
    Surely the scientific definition of cancelling each other out?

I loved the Kenny Everett Show. Always loved it & I used to have his "Rude Jokes video" but I can't find it anywhere. I'll have to see if Youtube has it. It was totally un-PC but very funny.