Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

There might be some nonsense about this being the only Doctor Who they can release on Blu Ray (wanna bet?) but let's be honest. Blu Ray was invented for modern, high definition shot TV and films. This was made in 1970. Just because it's on film doesn't mean it's going to be hugely more clear and vivid on Blu Ray. I reckon if you put TV's side by side you maybe might see a marginal difference, but it's not going to be that great or it wouldn't have looked so grainy and washed out on DVD? And of course it is - it was one of the first BBC things ever shot in colour for goodness sake!

So if you have missed DVD's or whatever and you haven't got Spearhead recently, then it's good for you. But if you've bought everything (some might say, been loyal) and the BBC are now touting an improved "Spearhead" only a year or two after the last release, which itself you had to buy if you wanted something else, then it does feel rather like buying it again for no reason. And no, you don't HAVE to have it, but they're trying to make you buy it again, that's what's irritating.

I think if Steve thinks about really hard, he MIGHT be able to guess why people might be upset about another re-release of this story.

But they. We all have a choice, that's what's usually said isn't it. You don't HAVE to buy it. You can easily have an incomplete collection if you want, and this could be the ONLY Doctor Who release you never buy. Nnngh.

Si.

Or you could wait till it comes cheap

I'm sappy enough that if The Avengers came out on Blu-Ray, I'd probably be tempted to get it. Even though there's very little chance of me watching all the Cathy Gale episodes again in my lifetime.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The Avengers on Blu-Ray would definitely make me feel sappy :-)

What we need first though are DECENT quality New Avengers re-issues. A grainy Purdey is a crime against nature!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Just because it's on film doesn't mean it's going to be hugely more clear and vivid on Blu Ray.
    I've yet to watch a Bluray (or HD transmission) that doesn't look better than it's SD counterpart.

I reckon if you put TV's side by side you maybe might see a marginal difference, but it's not going to be that great or it wouldn't have looked so grainy and washed out on DVD?
    I found this from the online sales notes....

Dirt has also been removed, grain lessened, joins cleaned up, and picture movement stabilized.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It also sounds like they've put a bit of money and effort into this Blu-Ray release, so there's some value there.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Restoration team article on remastering this story now available: http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's good. Maybe if we hadn't the DVD revisited restored version this would have more of a wow factor, but generally the HD masetring looks very good- very crisp and sharp and the digital grading again gives a slightly warmer feeling than the last DVD version did.

The two big new extras are fabulous though. The Carry John feature was very moving and a lovely insight into her life and her family and career. The Jon Pertwee story was less moving, but more thorough, with again, some lovely contributions from friends and colleagues, giving a little more insight into his true character and life.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

We started this last night. Only done Episode One so far. It looks good but like The Five Doctors, and Black Orchid DVDs everyone seems to have overly pink lips.

I like the menus and things. Looks much more modern than the old roundels from the DVD range.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    but like The Five Doctors, and Black Orchid DVDs everyone seems to have overly pink lips.
    Mrs. Davison did like her pink lippy days...

I've watched this & it looks VERY good. I never knew that the car that brings Liz Shaw to UNIT HQ was green!

I was surprised that the quality of the picture seems to change from scene to scene. Having some scenes in really crisp definition shows up the other scenes where there seems to be a more grainy quality. But it really is lovely to see this in better quality than would have been available outside of the BBC before.