Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spearhead on BluRay - 15/07/13

Well, Spearhead is coming to Bluray then next year... who's going to double dip?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

You know, I'm normally supportive of these things, but they must surely be taking the Michael!?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Considering they made it pretty much compulsory to buy the SE of Spearhead by teaming it up with Terror of the Autons so most of us will have already bought it twice on DVD (although I did manage to find someone who hadn't to give my original verison to) and not to mention the original VHS release then yes - this is taking the pee now.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Considering they made it pretty much compulsory to buy the SE of Spearhead by teaming it up with Terror of the Autons so most of us will have already bought it twice on DVD (although I did manage to find someone who hadn't to give my original verison to) and not to mention the original VHS release then yes - this is taking the pee now.
    The prospect of being able to see Spearhead in glorious 1080p does actually excite me.

And I know that BBC Worldwide are a business, but this really is cynical. IF I decide to buy this (and I'm really on the fence right now), then it'll be the fifth time I've bought Spearhead. And I really wouldn't have minded a BluRay release. But they basically forced anyone who wanted Terror of the Autons to buy the SE, regardless of whether they wanted Spearhead or not... and now, they're planning on re-releasing it again, only two years after the last time!

At least we know that it's likely to be only Spearhead that gets this treatment from the Classic range, the rest being unsuitable for BluRay...

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Sorry to be a technical thicko, but can the quality be really that good for a BR release? Is it because it's entirely on film?

definitely a no for me I've bought Spearhead 3 times and that's more then enough .

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Sorry to be a technical thicko, but can the quality be really that good for a BR release? Is it because it's entirely on film?
    Basically, yes! The detail even in 16mm film is greater than that in 1080p (the Blu Ray standard), meaning that an HD version of this story is possible, while not of other stories.

----

I look forward to purchasing this story for the 39th time and helping to once more tug firmly on the udders of the BBC Cash Cow.

Si.

From Steve Roberts:
    If it helps convince anyone... It's brand-new restoration from the original camera negatives rather than the interpos we used for the DVD release. so it's as high quality as it's possible to get.
    + new Pertwee career/ life doc and Carry John tribute doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    The prospect of being able to see Spearhead in glorious 1080p does actually excite me.

And I know that BBC Worldwide are a business, but this really is cynical. IF I decide to buy this (and I'm really on the fence right now), then it'll be the fifth time I've bought Spearhead. And I really wouldn't have minded a BluRay release. But they basically forced anyone who wanted Terror of the Autons to buy the SE, regardless of whether they wanted Spearhead or not... and now, they're planning on re-releasing it again, only two years after the last time!

At least we know that it's likely to be only Spearhead that gets this treatment from the Classic range, the rest being unsuitable for BluRay...
    Totally agree. I assumed when they brought out the Mannequin Mania set that the rumoured possibility of a Spearhead BluRay had been shelved as I'd have much rather bought a BluRay version instead of the SE on DVD rather than as well as.

If it helps convince anyone... It's brand-new restoration from the original camera negatives rather than the interpos we used for the DVD release. so it's as high quality as it's possible to get.
    They always say that.

Si.

Unless it comes with a voucher for a free re-enactment of the whole story in my living room by midgets, I think I'll pass.
    Bazinga !

I'll get it because I won't sleep at night if I don't.

Surely the TV Mowvee must be being fingered for Blu-Ray an' all.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Maybe, but they'll have to re-do most of the special effects for it!

----

From what I've heard, Spearhead from Space SE was meant for BluRay while Terror of the Autons was to come out in a boxset with The Mind of Evil but was cancelled due to MOE having recolouring issues. Therefore, they decided to bring out the Mannequin Mania set instead. A better idea would have been to bring TOTA on DVD in May last year and at the same time the Spearhead BluRay.

The BBC do make daft decisions like this as well as put Airlock on The Aztecs SE, the Earth Story boxset etc. (It could have been worse. We could have been made to suffer The Five Doctors yet again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Leptil View Post
    From what I've heard, Spearhead from Space SE was meant for BluRay while Terror of the Autons was to come out in a boxset with The Mind of Evil but was cancelled due to MOE having recolouring issues. Therefore, they decided to bring out the Mannequin Mania set instead. A better idea would have been to bring TOTA on DVD in May last year and at the same time the Spearhead BluRay.
    Yes or even better just have brought out Terror on its own.

Originally Posted by Simon R

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    Maybe, but they'll have to re-do most of the special effects for it!
    I doubt they'll shift enough units of Spearhead to justify any further BluRay releases and if they haven't got the budget to do anything with Shada I can't seem them spending what they do have on a new version of the TVM either.

I doubt they'll shift enough units of Spearhead to justify any further BluRay releases
    I don't agree. I'm pretty sure Bluray 'home penetration' is much higher than it was for DVD back in 1999 when The Five Doctors was released. Spearhead BD will do pretty well in comparison, if you ask me.

and if they haven't got the budget to do anything with Shada I can't seem them spending what they do have on a new version of the TVM either.
    The problem with the TVM*, from what I've read over the years, is that no-one can get their hands on the original tapes. They're locked away somewhere in the Fox (IIRC) vaults and their exact whereabouts are unknown.

*apart from the obvious ones with the script
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    I don't agree. I'm pretty sure Bluray 'home penetration' is much higher than it was for DVD back in 1999 when The Five Doctors was released. Spearhead BD will do pretty well in comparison, if you ask me.
    That's all true although in product quality terms the technological quantum leap from VHS to DVD was a much bigger one.
    If they hadn't recently re-released Spearhead for a second time on DVD which most of us have bought by necessity to get Terror of the Autons then I'd agree with you. I think this release will get less sales as a result.

As a general rule I buy BluRays of things I haven't already got on DVD. Whilst I appreciate the picture quality is noticeably finer I, like most people, have to exercise some budgetary restraint and spending my hard earned cash on something I already have a perfectly watchable version of isn't going to be high on my list of priorities.

I hope they put all the 35mm title sequences on as an extra. if they do I'm buying.

if they don't I'm buying, but hey, I'm a fan. That's what I do. But it'll only be the 4th time I've bought it, so I'm slacking here.

I've said it before and I've said it again, I'll buy ANY visual product with the Doctor Who logo on. I mean, how can you not? Money aside (and you can always not eat for a few days) the TV episodes are the core element of being a Doctor Who. They are why they are here. I'll admit I faltered a BIT for the "Vengeance on Varos" re-issue but it's safely purchased now.

Si.

As a general rule I buy BluRays of things I haven't already got on DVD. Whilst I appreciate the picture quality is noticeably finer I, like most people, have to exercise some budgetary restraint and spending my hard earned cash on something I already have a perfectly watchable version of isn't going to be high on my list of priorities.
    Many people said exactly the same thing back in 1999 about DVD. The Bluray will do fine in the market, in my view.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

What would be funny about the TVM being released on Blu ray is that it's essentially the same story as Spearhead, without the monsters.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

From the DW Newspage:

The debut story of Jon Pertwee has been given the high-definition treatment for Doctor Who's 50th anniversary.

Spearhead From Space - Doctor Who's first colour story - is the only adventure from the classic era that can be remastered into true HD say experts because, thanks to industrial action at BBC TV Centre, all four episodes were shot on location on 16mm film rather than being recorded on videotape - the only time this was ever done on the show.

The digital media services team of BBC Studios and Post Production was commissioned by BBC Worldwide to remaster the story, which was first broadcast in January 1970 and also introduced Caroline John as assistant Liz Shaw. The "facelift" has given the story a cinematic finish, and the Blu-ray is now scheduled for release on Monday 15th July 2013.

The original 16mm negatives were scanned and digitised using state-of-the-art equipment, and other work has included repairing damage done to one episode's negative caused by a reaction with chemicals during a printing process some years ago. Dirt has also been removed, grain lessened, joins cleaned up, and picture movement stabilised. The soundtrack, which had previously been remastered, was then added to the final master version.

Jonathan Wood, the team's lead colourist, said:
    The look of this HD remaster is a low-key filmic approach, which gives it more of a dramatic result. Working with the original negative and using a powerful, non-linear grading system, we decided to treat this four-part story like an individual filmed drama rather than thinking of it as part of an ongoing series normally shot in a TV studio.
    Clive Hodge, the digital media services head, said:
    We're delighted to have teamed up with BBC Worldwide to have remastered such an iconic programme for its 50th anniversary. Doctor Who is one of the few series to remain popular through the ages, and it's fantastic that the younger generations will have the chance to see this landmark story in the same picture quality that they've become used to with the more recent series.

All they need to do is use lots of long and impressive sounding words like "non linear grading system" and we'll all buy it again.

Ironically, they didn't say one thing that might have sold it to lots of fans - "We've put the TARDIS materilisation sound back the way everyone wants it this time"

Si.