Thread: Seven of One

Default Seven of One

Simply - can you manage these Pertwee 7-parters in one sitting? Have you ever sat down and watched Ambassadors of Death from the very beginning to the absolute end? Or do you have to break it up?

When I was a bit younger, I could have happily watched one of these stories in a marathon session. Take a story like And The Silurians, which was so exciting I can just picture myself back in the 1990's wrenching the first VHS out and ramming the second one in to carry on with the story right away.

These days though, it would seem a bit of a chore. I'd love to think I could still do it, but I don't know if I've still got the stamina!

What's the longest you could get through in one viewing?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I think in the early days of VHS, when we couldn't wait for a story to come out, yes it would be very easy to sit down and watch any story in one sitting. But let's be honest, familiarity breeds contempt, and it's very easy to nitpick about any of them as we know tham all so well and notice the faults, goofs, continuity errors etc. So, sitting down to watch a seven part Pertwee would be very hard work for me no matter how much I enjoy them.

Other than the very early days when the stories were all edited together into, what was the phrase they used on the video boxes, "a feature-length space adventure", so we didn't really know where the cliffhangers were; apart from then, I've always found I get a bit fidgetty if I sit down and watch a whole story in one sitting. Honourable exceptions are Logopolis and Castrovalva, and I did once watch the original VHS of Fenric in one go; but anything else, no - I once tried to watch all of Planet of Evil in a single go, it almost finished me off (and I quite like that story)!!

I did it when I got the Ambassadors Blu Ray a month or so ago! So, yes - I can still do it!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    I did it when I got the Ambassadors Blu Ray a month or so ago! So, yes - I can still do it!
    Ambassadors Blu Ray? Have I slipped into a parallel dimension.

I made it through with Ambassadors with only one loo break a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Ambassadors Blu Ray? Have I slipped into a parallel dimension.
    Slipped in time to the future, maybe!

And, of course, I meant DVD!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I think I've watched them all in one sitting at one time or another, but not recently. I have a feeling that sitting through the poor copies I originally had of Ambassadors and Inferno tainted my feelings towards those stories for quite a while and it was only when I had better quality ones from UK Gold that I saw what was good about them.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.