Default Sir Patrick Moore RIP :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939

Sir Patrick Moore has died at home aged 89. There really isn't anything I could say that would do justice to this man, so I won't even try. A sad day indeed.

Very, very sad to hear.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm still shocked to hear about this. Watching The Sky At Night just won't be the same now. Despite that programme's massive significance subject matter.
    R.I.P. Sir Patrick Moore.
    I like to think he now knows every secret about the universe wherever he is.

A true legend and one-off gentleman. He'll be sadly missed.

Truly a sad day. He was one of a kind, a true gentleman.

R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore, you'll always be missed on The Sky at Night.

His maps of the moon were used for the apollo missions; His work made it in to space even if he never did. And he made it in to Doctor Who too.

A great local hero as well as a National one; the South Downs planetarium is on the same site as our school, and all the local schools that use it are greeted by a mannekin of the great man himself.

I'd encourage everyone to read his autobiography - you won't agree with everything he says, but along with Attenborough he was one of the last true Science eccentrics.

Enjoy the cosmos in a new way, Sir P
    Bazinga !

It's cheesy but you will smile.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Sad, but as I said today, age gets us all in the end. He reached a good age, and most importantly he was still involved in the program that was his passion up until the other week.

He was obviously a huge inspiration on me to study Astronomy - my parents used to get me his books, and subscribe to the Sky At Night newsletters for me. I got to see one of his talks back in 1999 which was pretty impressive.

Part of me feels I should blog about him, but with Neil Armstrong and my Auntie Jill, I feel a bit overkill on the obits.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    R.I.P. Sir Patrick Moore.
    I like to think he now knows every secret about the universe wherever he is.
    Well not know, but be in a better position to explore. "We just don't know, but I full intend to find out!"

Very sad news. One of my girls' got some facebook bile about him on her thread- 'good riddance to one more bigot' type thing, with one or two contributors claiming he was a right wing, racist, misogynist'.

It's not the impression I got from watching him. Sure, he undoubtedly had a few anachronistic societal notions, but I'm yet to meet a 90 year old that didn't. It'd be good riddance to a lot of our nans and great uncles.

All I know is he was a remarkable, charismatic man who inspired a lot of us to look up a little more often, to pay attention to the galaxies that appear when you just hold your gaze a little bit longer, and to not only see a bit of magic, but to have a name for it. Good enough for me.

Sad news indeed. Not a complete shock if I'm honest but that doesn't take away how sad it is.
    I was into astromony many years ago before a certain blue box kept distracting me. I loved books about the universe and I always used to watch the Sky At Night - even though it was on so late.

I still chuckle when I see him play the vibraphone!

He will be missed

RIP Sir Patrick