Default Peter Parker, RIP. And the new Spider-Man is...

Doctor Octopus

Death threats to writer Dan Slott
    Spidey

Peter Parker has just been bumped off in the 700th Anniversary issue of Spider-Man. In a body-swap storyline, Peter Parker's mind finds itself trapped in Doc Ock's dying body which only has a few hours of life left init. He fails to reverse the swap, dying in Ock's body with Doc Ock's mind now inhabiting the body of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Parkers memories over-ride Doc Ocks villainous side though, creating what is more like a merger of the two characters and giving the writers the back door they need to bring Parker back to life when they so wish.

And given the spate of comic book deaths and resurrections in recent years, you can guarantee this is only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post

And given the spate of comic book deaths and resurrections in recent years, you can guarantee this is only a matter of time.
    And it'll be the plot of Matt Smith's final year before too long!
    I really should get back into reading comics. This sounds like a pretty good storyline.

Yeah - alas I feel this is little more than a stunt. Comic book kill offs have become a bit of a joke I think.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    And it'll be the plot of Matt Smith's final year before too long!
    Funny you should say that...very similar wording in these two ads...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Yeah - alas I feel this is little more than a stunt. Comic book kill offs have become a bit of a joke I think.
    They are now as regular as breakfast these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    They are now as regular as breakfast these days...
    He'll be back inside a year, I'd bet. Or else, just in good time to tie in with the release of the Spider-Man 2 movie...

Where is that Doctor Who "It All Ends Here" grab from?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Where is that Doctor Who "It All Ends Here" grab from?

Si.
    Facebook, Si. I haven't a clue whether it's official or not, I couldn't find it on the BBC website.

I've just sent you a link on Facebook

BIG SPOILERS BELOW:

I've just read the final three issues now, and it's been quite fun. I can't imagine anyone didn't know Peter was going to die given the publicity, and they had fun playing around with it all, and there was some nice art and decent enough dialogue to go along with it. A lot's changed since I last read Spiderman too, so it was interesting to see where characters were now (Aunt May's married to J.J. Jameson's Dad, Jameson himself is now Mayor of NYC, Peter works as a scientist for a top company), but whilst there was a vague foreboding sense of doom to it all, I couldn't find myself caring that much. Mainly as I just don't believe that this is the last we've seen of Peter, and that they'll manufacture a way to have him resurrected somehow.

As it is we're left with a merged version of Doctor Octopus and Parker, the latter's memories altering how Octopus feels about the world, with him claiming he'll no longer be a villain but a hero, and not just the Amazing Spiderman, but The Superior Spiderman. Which as luck would have it is the name of the title now.

Ultimately though, whilst I enjoyed reading it, I'm not going to bother with it again, not unless reviews suggest the new series is something really special.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I think I feel pretty much the same, Alex. The only reason I read it as well was the advance publicity, and like you say it was interesting to see where the characters were nowadays. It has been a long time since I read Spidey regularly, and if I want a fix I think I'll enjoy catching up with some of the previous 20+ years I've missed out on.

I'll probably stick with this for another few issues though, just out of curiosity, but the novelty is already starting to wear off.

I'm really enjoying Superior Spiderman. Its really quite good fun with a new morally iffy Spiderman trying to scientifically work out how to get into bed with Mary Jane, its got me reading Spiderman for the first time in years. I have a feeling that things will revert back to normal far too quickly, although I have a feeling that there could be an interesting twist when they do.
    You should definitely check it out Kenny. First couple of issues have great fun.