View Poll Results: How would you rate Mark of the Rani?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: He'd get dizzy if he tried to walk in a straight line

0 0%
  • 9: Fortuitous would be a more apposite epithet

0 0%
  • 8: Or, as we humans say, 'Lucky would be a better word.

0 0%
  • 7: Finito TARDIS, how's that for style?

2 50.00%
  • 6: Hoist up your skirts, Peri, off we go!

2 50.00%
  • 5: Tread carefully - he's treacherous

0 0%
  • 4: Come, eat my sweetmeats

0 0%
  • 3: The Rani IS a genius. Shame I can't stand her.

0 0%
  • 2: You are unbalanced. No wonder the Doctor always outwits you

0 0%
  • 1: The tree won't hurt you!

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Mark of the Rani

A new villain from the Doctor's past teams up with one of his biggest enemies to create havoc in the North East!

What do you think of Mark of the Rani?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

There are a lot of good elements floating around in the embryonic fluid, but sadly it never quite evolves into a Tyrannosaurus Rex. The setting should be a winner, there's some marvelous location footage at Ironbridge. The basic idea of the Rani is fantastic, she didn't need to be a Time Lord though her TARDIS is lovely.

On the minus side, there's nothing good about the section with the living tree mines. Does anyone think that was a good idea?

Peri wears the worst clothes of any companion in the entire history of the show. Seriously, only Zoe's dress in The Dominators comes close and we were spared the full horror of that because it was in black and white. Peri's outfit is yellow, blue and cheap all over. It looks like something you'd get from a fancy dress shop that cost 2.99 and was made out of plastic. Ugh!

The cliffhanger comes out of some monumentally stupid actions by both Peri and the Doctor. Nothing along the lines of the Doctor being cleverly outwitted by his enemy - this time, his companion lets go of the trolley he's strapped to. After the Doctor's self-sacrifice in The Caves of Androzani, it would have been the ultimate indignity if he had fallen down that mine shaft and regenerated as a result, all because of Peri's stupidity! He wouldn't have had Tegan and his other companions turn up to see him off - he'd have just seen Peri going 'Whooops! Oh no!' over and over.

If they did it today we'd get to see Stephenson's Rocket and that would cover up a multitude of sins for me. I can just picture the Doctor and Peri riding to the rescue of somebody or other on the Rocket. It would have made the adventure worthwhile.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

You've pretty much said it Steve - there's some good ideas, but it's such a mess. Some effects look OK at the time, but date over time... but the trees looked laughable from the very first time we saw this story, especially the bit where the bendy branch saves Peri. Like the 2010 redesign of the Daleks, it's hard to imagine that NOBODY said, "Erm... doesn't it look a bit, rubbish?"

The historical setting was a nice change, the Rani as an amoral character rather than an out & out villain was an interesting idea (although made for a very slight story, hence I presume why they bunged in the Master to pad the darned thing out) but there's not enough of a plot to really make a story.

Today, it's 'celebrity historical' element would have been turned up to 10, and we'd have seen that Rocket in action - rather than just use it for single, rather lame joke from the Doctor, they'd have made one & used it, historical accuracy or not!!

Like most of season 22 so far, better part 1 than part 2, but overall - Must Try Harder!!!

Here are my Tweets on #MarkoftheRani - they're in reverse order, so I suggest you start at the bottom and work your way up!

Gary Cady who plays Luke in #MarkoftheRani was in 2012's Red Dwarf and owns a restaurant in Dulwich. #fact
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    @thejimsmith Seriously? Surely he met at least 1 historical character between The Gunfighters and the #MarkofTheRani?
    ViewConversation
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Not sure about #MarkoftheRani . It's sort of OK but there's no plot whatsoever. All random faffing about. Love Kate O'Mara though!
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Apologies. Terence Alexander and George Stephenson. I can't spell names for squat. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Peri has a good point. They're Time Lords. What's to stop them turning up straight away with a big stick & temper? #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    What kind of tree would the Master really turn into? #MarkoftheRani #HeeHeeHee
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Oh look, Peri's just got a taste of Luke's giant wood. Tired. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    What the hell are the Rani & Master up to? #MarkoftheRani #HeeHeeHee
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Poor Nicola Bryant. Peri is a wretched, woeful, miserable companion. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    The Rani's TARDIS is a bit like Matt Smith's latest number. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    In tandem you and I will rule the Universe. On a bicycle made for two. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    A Statenheim remote control again. Never noticed that before. The Mark of Saward? #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Mustard Gas! Peri opens the door for ventilation and kills half the street. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Jeez. Luke has a bulge in his pants like he's smuggling out Stevenson's Rocket. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    #HeeHeeHee the #MarkoftheRani ... I reckon The script for pt2 has all the same words as pt1, just in a different order.
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    At last you're back you incompetent egotist! #MarkoftheRani #ReturnoftheMack
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    HANG ON! I thought the Master was there for the meeting, now he's acting all surprised that it's happening! Nutter! #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Simon Hart @Si_Hart
    @BobMcCow I think, in the end he might be a bit wooden! #markoftherani
    ViewConversation
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    "I'd like you to swallow this very special sweet meat" said the Master, slipping his wriggling maggot between Luke's lips. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Too late Peri! That perv The Master has got his hypnotic way with your husband to be. Moral: propose first, questions later. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    If Peri had any sense, she'd ditch the Doctor and ask Luke to marry her. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Oooo. Mr Stevenson has a hunk of meat in his workshed. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Shame Terrance Alexander isn't in this more. He's great. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Push, Peri! Push! No! The other way! #HeeHeeHee #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    "Finito TARDIS!" Where's Lucy Saxon and her gun when you need them? #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    So. The Master plans to take over the Universe... using the Bessemer process! #Good****ingLuck #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Meanwhile, a gang of period dressed #DoctorWho fans visiting Ironbridge are making of with the TARDIS... #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    #HeeHeeHee The #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    'Dickhead' would be a more apposite epithet. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    The Rani treats The Master as an irritating admirer at a party. "I am NOT sleeping with you, so you might as well go home!" #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Fearsome ruffians attack the Doctor with spades and planks. Then try to gently prod him down the pit. He should be dead! #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    "I have a death to arrange!" cackles the Master, before needlessly dispatching 1x dog and 1x guard. Nutter. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    What is the Master playing at? Nutter. No wonder he never wins. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    T'ut Pit Klaxon! #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    The scarecrow moved! This'd never have happened to the other fella, thinks Ainley. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Christ! He just kicked an orphan street urchin! Cancel the show! #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Colin's Doctor has a tracking device for every occassion. Beats using the sonic screwdriver for everything. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Is Peri's outfit in #MarkoftheRani the worst costume worn by any #DoctorWho companion ever? Looks cheaper than Gwen from Torchwood.
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Wow. The first two minutes of #MarkoftheRani are wonderfully atmospheric. Well shot, good music (if you like electronix), kind of relaxing.
    Details
    1d

Bob McCow @BobMcCow
    Oh Pip And Jane Baker! How we wish you were on twitter. Sharing an account. #MarkoftheRani
    Details
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!