Thread: Bowie's Back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bowie's Back!

Just when we thought he'd retired, he's confounded us all and and recorded a new album and has a new single!

You can hear the new single here: http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true

(scary video!)

How wonderful!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I can't see him touring it to be honest, but it's good to hear he's made a new one.

It was played on Radio 2 this morning. The reaction was erm mixed. One listener asked if the song had been played at the right speed!

I think it'll need a few listens from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I can't see him touring it to be honest, but it's good to hear he's made a new one.
    Well no-one expected him to make a new album, so you never know. I'd love it if he did, because I've never had the chance to see him live so far, and would love to be able to. We'll see.

But is it any good?!

Si.

Yes, I like it. It's a bit slow, but it's very atmospheric and very umin keeping with his last few albums ( which I think is a good thing as I like them a lot.)

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Yes, I like it. It's a bit slow, but it's very atmospheric and very umin keeping with his last few albums ( which I think is a good thing as I like them a lot.)

Yes, it reminded me a bit of Thursday's Child, but with a scarier video.
    The album, The Next Day, will be released in March, it's already being criticised for the use of the Heroes album cover with a white square over the top of it, as if trying to obliterate Bowie's past achievements. I might be missing the point somewhere though.

The album cover is quite simply awful.

Si.

"Dancing In The Street" it ain't.

Si.

No, but not every song needs to be 'Dancing In The Street'. He's 66! He's not going to be doing high-kicks in a warehouse with Mick Jagger any more (though I reckon Mick could still do it).

I really like it - a slow, plodding non-single with lots of references to German cities. It's magnificent IMO.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And obviously lots of people agree as it's number 1 on iTunes!

According to the Daily Mirror, he's not giving any interviews or planning any tours. So it looks like this is it. Things might change, but I wouldn't go clicking on any links for David Bowie tickets just yet.

I'd be happy with the highest new entry rather than number one any day!

The problem with the single was the same as befell Madonna's last album opener, in that you could pre-order the album and get the single free, so the Charts Company refused to count it. This time however, for Credible Music Artist Bowie, there were meetings, tweaks to software, boats being pushed out, and lo and behold they managed to resolve the situation and find a way of distinguishing between pre-order sales and genuine single sales in enough time to give the single a Top 10 chart placing. Phew eh?

Si.

I'm sure Bowie will be dancing in from the street right onto Madonna's sour grapes!

But yes, the publicity machine always tweaks these things doesn't it? I love the new single but I can't imagine it's going to topple Gangnam Style for popularity.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Out the Top 40 on the second week. Poor Bowie

Si.

I don't think the single did that bad, really. Indie / rock music barely penetrates the charts these days.

Well The Script got to Number 1 a few months ago. I think people buy out of loyalty/curiosity but continued sales are a mark of word of mouth popularity if the song is well liked. Watch Justin Timberlake take a similar tumble next week.

Si.

Justin is getting radio 1 play so he might hang around. At 31 I'm amazed he's not too old for them.

I really don't get the impression that Bowie really cares whether or where he charts. If he did, with the singles market where it is, this would not have been his choice for single.

I think it's a remarkable, reflective piece filled with pathos. Is it a particularly good tune? Well, it's certainly not a pop tune, but then I imagine it's a tune many of us will grow into as we get older and look back over our own lives.

Went to watch the new video...

Sorry! The page you are looking for is not available in your region.
    VEVO is working hard to make sure all of our videos are available worldwide. In the meantime, watch and enjoy your favorite videos through VEVO on YouTube.
    NOOOooooooo!!!

New David Bowie album today! I've decided I'm going to be excited about this regardless of whether it's any good or not. I'm hoping it'll be great.

I really don't get the impression that Bowie really cares whether or where he charts.
    Following Bowie's 'official' Facebook page, the new album has gone to #1 in a dozen countries. There's been a bit of an ad campaign too, full page newspaper adverts and stuff, so there's been some effort with promotion. Whether he'll be doing the interview rounds, or even one TV appearance remains another matter. Although the majority of the campaign seems to have been web-based. Oh! So very modern.

There was an advert on TV for it albeit a short one.

Thing is, promotion is seldom down to the artist. Even for one such as Bowie, there will be record label execs, marketing departments etc, who will want to recoup their money and a significant profit, regardless of what the artist wants.

I believe Bowie was the first artist to do an entirely web based concert, and the first to make an album available for digital download over a decade ago, but memory is cloudy. I'm old you know.