Thread: Bowie's Back!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The album's taken a couple of listens to get in to, but I think I probably quite like it. Some songs stand out- The Next day, Valentine's Day, I'd Rather Get High all jumped out on first listen, bonus track So She was better than some of the tracks on the album and well, it's not all slow whistful stuff like Where Are We Now. He can still rock!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's selling well- it's already passed Gold status and is half way to platinum apparently!

It's a really good album. It took a bit of listening to to get a grip on it, as it's rather long and there's a lot to digest, but I really love it. It's amazing really that he's taken 10 years off and then come back with one of his finest albums. Who'd have thought it?

I love the album myself, not a bad track on it although obviously some are weaker than others. Pehaps, though, the reason why the album is so good is that it's because he too k so long to release it? It was a case of diminishing returns once Bowie got into the 80s, with each new album having fewer classics and more filler. He's had plenty of time to discard the filler here without even releasing it, eventually leaving us with a classic album

Got it today. (That's four albums I've bought from the same year!! Is this one of the seals breaking or something?)
    I'm on my third consecutive listen. I liked it on the first, but it's really revealing itself.
    Might be, might not be about his wife on "Boss Of Me".
    I love Valentine's Day, If You Could See Me and You Feel So Lonely You Could Die.
    And then there's the stuff I've heard as singles. I think if Q makes it best album of the year, NME will make Daft Punk album of the year.
    Unless Bowie sweeps the board... I really hope that happens!

Hurrah! Another Neo-Bowie Convert.

It's swept the board for album of the year as far as I'm concerned. Though there is that lovely Goldfrapp album... and Franz Ferdinand... and Suede... it's just been a bloody good year for the music I like.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Yeah, for me too. A complete surprise that it was coming and even more surprising that he's made one of the finest albums of his career too. Magnificent!

Jeepers! "Blackstar" is a great album!
    I originally preferred the first version of "Sue", but on second listen I'm getting closer to it.
    The title track may be the best one, but the rest of the material is strong and the fact saxophones replace a lot of guitars warms my Soft Machine heart, even though the end result is anything but fusion!
    Anyone else bought it from Friday yet?

I didn't get on with the original version of Sue (Or In A Season of Crime). But the new one tickled me up nicely.

It seems quite a short album, but then The Next Day seemed very long indeed. I think it's going to be an all-time favourite. I hope so. It's really... beguiling.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Sad news breaking this morning that David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer.

RIP David.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

It's a really dense album and it rewards a whole lot of listens. So much still to discover!

I need to get acquainted with this album!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk