Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Toby Hadoke's Who's Round

A new set of podcasts from BF all based on a Twitter challnge to Mr Hadoke- and very good the first one was too!

7 January 2013
    Categories: Podcast, General Big Finish News, Stop Press

Doctor Who Z-list celebrity, comedian, actor and writer Toby Hadoke takes control of the podcast for the first of many entirely trivial interviews with people from the world of Doctor Who.

It's the 50th Anniversary year of Doctor Who after all! Toby's self-imposed mission is to find and interview someone about every single Doctor Who story.

'We've no idea if Toby will succeed in his quest,' says executive producer Nick Briggs, 'But we're certainly more than willing to let him have a go.'

In this first edition, Toby talks to special effects make-up artists (let them argue over the definition of their job titles!) Susan Moore and Steve Mansfield, who were responsible for some of the most impressive character masks/effects on Doctor Who in the 1980s. Be warned, they speak frankly and at length!
    Listen here: http://www.bigfinish.com/podcasts/v/...january-2013-2

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Part 2 features Full Circle author, Andrew Smith

http://www.bigfinish.com/podcasts/v/...january-2013-3

I hope this project gets nearer it's conclusion that Toby and Robert's published trek through Doctor Who!

Si.

Book 2 is due in April!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Ooh! Thanks Si!

Now if Mad Norwegian Press got a wriggle on with some New Series About Time books, I'd be happy!

Si.

Yeah me too. I'd love to read tat's thoughts on them.

I suspect they don't like the new series much. There are digs at it throughout the About Times.

I can sort of see why. Lots of the new series is wonderful, but to a certain extent when you analyse things like logic and plot in such books, the New Series is going to stumble disastrously on a lot of points!

Si.

Toby said this on Roobarbs earlier...

The editing was delayed through reasons beyond anyone's control sadly. I'm all done on Vol 2 but I think Lars and Rob are still tidying it up. The wait till Vol 3 won't be as long, promise.

Really enjoyed the first Who's Round - two FX artists down the pub talking about how they made the Destroyer from Spitting Image off-cuts. Marvelous stuff! They're even nice about JNT.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And number 3 is up... he's doing well! http://www.bigfinish.com/podcasts/v/...january-2013-4

Excellent. The Andrew Smith one was great too, very insightful into being a policeman as much as writing Doctor Who!

Loved his disputing everything that Matthew Waterhouse said in 'Blue Box Boy' too.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'll pass that on when I meet him tomorrow (snow permitting)

Can you get him to say hello to all his listeners in Qatar?!!

There's been some great ones recently. Loved the Kevin McNally one especially and the Waris Hussein one was fabulous too- both really good interviews. Loving these in general- much better than their normal smug not very funny podcasts (well aside from the one with me in it anyway!)

This week- the making of The Keys of Marinus and it's really rather good! http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...us-special-910

This week it's the ever so jolly Barrie Ingham. Lovely stuff!

I'm a bit behind on Whosround, but I listened to number 20 yesterday (actor Christopher Robbie). Interesting to hear that his time working with Troughton (Mind Robber) was not a happy one. This is the first negative comment I've heard about him from a fellow actor..

Been some good one's recently. Bernard Holley is a real gentleman, and the recent one with Carol from The Sensorites is wonderful!

The latest one was a great interview with the delightful Roger Limb. Well worth a listen, especially if you like Who music from the 1980s!

They got up to Number 100 on Christmas day, and there's still more to come.

I'm a little behind alas now, but they've all been rather good. As well as the Who recollections, there's so much good stuff about TV in general and acting careers and things you never hear. Some of the best ones have only touched on Doctor Who briefly, but you come away feeling like you know the subjects.

And the RTD ones are really lovely. 4 so far and only got as far as The Runaway Bride!

I like these, but I don't really get the concept of not telling you who's in each one. I find it really annoying and I end up with a load on my player and no idea which ones I've listened to or want to listen to.

Si.

I listened to the Mark Gatiss one this morning and it was excellent. I think Mark gets an undeserved bashing in some quarters which is a pity because I like a lot of his material, and he seems like a really nice chap.

I also recently listened to the one where Toby "gatecrashes" a BBC Tech Ops reunion party, and they all give him some vignettes of their time on Who. Oh and Nicola Bryant pops up at the end too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark does seem to be one of those Who writers that polarises fandom. IMHO his good stuff is great and his less good stuff is really bad, but most fans as far as I'm aware, treat everything he does as the same - very marmite in their views of him.

He wrote some much admired books so it took a bit of adjusting when he turned in a bog standard TV story. To be honest, I'm not one of those fans - I judge every story on its merits and he's written about the same amount of really great stories as he has disappointing clunkers. For every "Crimson Horror" and "Robot of Sherwood" there's been a "Victory of the Daleks" and "Cold War". So he's a bit hit and miss.

Si.