Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 'Coming Soon' Trailer

So, the dvd release of Timelash is to be the first to feature a 'Coming Soon' trailer which will "act as a taster for the next DVD release". Rather a suprise (imo), so why do we think they're going for this? Could it be the 'next release' is something special?

So I thought we could have a thread to guess what story it will feature, just for a little fun. It could be a KtT trailer? It ain't gonna be a 'Power Of The Daleks - Animated' trailer, that seem for sure. So anyway, my guess is going to be........

Terror Of The Autons - Re-colourised. I'd guess a trailer showing how good this could look on dvd would get fans excited.

So what's your guess? Could it simply be a trailer detailing the special features on the next release? Who knows? Over you you.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It has to be for the launch of the K9 and company DVD-they will be making a big think about this one, sales should reach 250,000 units with Sladens mug on the box alone.

It seems like a pointless waste of budget to me - even if the DVD is released before news of the next story on DVD has leaked, I doubt I'll be the first person in the country to get the DVD anyway, so I'm just going to hear about it on-line as usual, instantly making the item redundant.

It's bizarre that a company that goes to such lengths NOT to tell us what's coming up, is now spending money to keep us better informed about forthcoming releases.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It seems like a pointless waste of budget to me
    I think I'd agree if this is as the expense of a more intersting "extra" but if it's replacing Basil Brush then fairdos

Bearing in mind there's nothing on the Series 23 cancellation or 'lost season' something which could have done with being covered here given the glut of other stuff to put on the eventual "Trial" discs (the cancellation news broke during transmission of "Timelash").

Si.

It depends how they do it, though doesn't it? I'd be more interested if there was a preview of the special features than just clips from the forthcoming story. It'd soon become redundent for me though, once I'd got the bext DVD, but for the more general buyers it might give them the impetus to buy the next one. It might be sound marketing.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

(the cancellation news broke during transmission of "Timelash")
    I'm pretty sure it was during "The Two Doctors" Si, but I agree with your point that "Timelash" would have been an ideal place to cover the whole cancellation debacle - clips from the news, the Cyberman on Wogan, etc, could be used, and it would also fit well with a debate over the merits of Doctor Who at that time. Since "Timelash" is considered rubbish by many fans, it would be a perfect DVD to cover a feature which basically examined the cancellation and also asked whether it was justified or not?

I think Si (Hart this time) has got it right, about the marketing though. It's probably not really aimed at fans who in most cases will (a) already know or at least suspect the next release; and (b) probably be buying it anyway! It's presumably intended for the more casual buyer.

Maybe they'll do them in the style of the New Series' Next Time... trailers, and give us all a laugh!

I've put a somewhat sarky and downbeat comment on the RT today (I'm in a grouchy mood) saying I hope those people that moaned the DVD's wern't being given to them quick enough are happy - we now have a rapid release rate, and apparently full-price releases with barely any extras on. It'll be interesting to see what response it gets - so far one person has replied, and he cautiously agreed with me.

That was the catch wasn't it? It looked like vanilla releases were going to be a good way of unleashing stories which there wern't very many extras for at a lower price. But here we have "Timelash" - a story with plenty of potential extras (there are clips from the studio reels in the docu apparently), being released at full price with hardly any bonus features! Hmmm.

Si.

In the interests of NOT being a grouch, actually these 'Coming Soon' trailers will probably be quite nice and fun to watch. And not actually cost that much.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quiet you.

Well the thing is that they're actually shooting themselves in the foot as casual purchasers go. I'm one of them, only getting dvds of stories I don't already own on video (mainly because my money is tight) but I can be tempted to buy dvd's of stories that I already have if the extras are good. I'm probably going to buy Survival for that very reason. However if the extras start to dry up I'll probably just stick with my videos and save my money.
    So in my case they're probably going to lose out.

It seems like a pointless waste of budget to me -
    Si.

have to agree with you there - most of us will probably already know what the next story will be and the basic format of what extras you get on each release is pretty much the same so you do have to question the point of it.

and just thinking about it they do have "A Coming Soon" on each BF release so I suppose it's not that an unusual thing to be doing.

It depends how they're done. The "Spearhead From Space" trailer that was done for the BBC2 repeats in 1999 was quite good and everyone loved that 40th anniversary montage video thing in 2003 so if it's done in that style with some funky music it might be ok.

*cough* *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    So I thought we could have a thread to guess what story it will feature, just for a little fun.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    It depends how they're done. The "Spearhead From Space" trailer that was done for the BBC2 repeats in 1999 was quite good.
    Quite good! - that was fantastic!

Oh and I put part of my quote in bold for the benefit of Si Hunt

Pip Madeley Guest

They changed it for the DVD, I seem to remember - my off-air copy was Led Zeppelin, but on the DVD it was some random rock music.

(and of course, Fleetwood Mac never made it either, which is why I've kept the BBC Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    *cough* *cough*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perry Vale
    So I thought we could have a thread to guess what story it will feature, just for a little fun.
    It'll feature part one of the Key to Time box set.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    It'll feature part one of the Key to Time box set.
    You could be right about it being the KtT, but they won't be splitting it in two, it'll be a six disc set......

Although this link has it coming out before Timelash.....

http://www.choicesuk.com/Product.asp...vd_home!688683

Pip Madeley Guest

Ooh, how exciting!

I won't bother with getting it till it goes cheap though, I'm happy with the region 1 for now.

Yep, that Zeta Minor list is proving pretty accurate, isn't it?

I can't follow what people are saying with all this winking and tocking. If God had meant us to communicate in emoticons, he wouldn't have invented words.

Si.

I can't follow what people are saying with all this winking and tocking. If God had meant us to communicate in emoticons, he wouldn't have invented words.

Si.
    If by 'tocking' you mean me, I was just putting a little reminder in that I started this thread to speculate on what story the 'Coming Soon' trailer would feature, not to discuss the merits of whether such feature was good/bad/should spend the budget elsewhere.......

What is tocking?

'tock tock'. It's the action of the 'finger wagging' emoticon. Tocking may or may not be referenced in "Remembrance of the Daleks" depending on which side of a long-running misheard dialogue debate you stand on.

Use words people! Words are beautiful!

Si.