Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

We might see the return of the Doctor lite episodes and the mid-season ratings slump! I've missed those guys. Mind you, the last series introduced us to the "every episode is a ratings slump" feature so it can't be worse.

Si.

Aside from the ones that weren't of course.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Didn't DWM say that for the first time since the Hartnell era, six consecutive episodes had rated lower than the previous one?

Si.

I don't know, I didn't read that bit!

hnag on, you're right!

Bells: 8.44
    Rings: 7.45
    Cold: 7.37
    Hide: 6.61
    Journey: 6.50
    Crimson: 6.47
    Silver: 6.64
    Name: 7.45

Sorry Si!

Apparently it's twelve episodes beginning August Bank Holiday weekend - that's according to the same leaked memo which was ultimately responsible for the early leaking of the Matt Smith story. I think that means it finishes November 15th (unless the twelfth episode is a Christmas Special, in which case November 8th). Either way, I rather like that, and can happily wait until late summer for a treat of that kind.

Sorry Si!
    That DWM went up to "Crimson" and presumably included the previous two episodes (or something). Maybe it was five episodes? I don't know, you have the mag.

I'm delighted to see that the last two episodes reversed the catastrophic slump, however.

Si.

Wait... the press release states 12 episodes? Seriously? Not being content with broadcasting two series' worth over the period of Xmas 2010 - Xmas 2013 (seriously!?), now they're going to start shaving off episodes from a full series? Not cool, guys. Not cool.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Not a press release; a private staff memo that got leaked.

Two possible reasons for the shorter run: one, the BBC sells the series in batches of fourteen, so because of the extra two specials this year, next year would need to be twelve in order to avoid becoming a special package.

And then, you have to remember, budgets are down and production has been pegged back - hence the spreading of Series 7 across two years. If making runs of twelve rather than thirteen or fourteen is what it takes to have Doctor Who an annual thing again, then to me that's a compromise worth having.

Let's look at the truth they didn't want said, in order to see the GOOD truth.

2012 series - 5 episodes
    2013 series - 8 episodes
    2014 series - 12 episodes

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    Two possible reasons for the shorter run: one, the BBC sells the series in batches of fourteen, so because of the extra two specials this year, next year would need to be twelve in order to avoid becoming a special package.
    The Complete Series 7 box set will actually have 15 though, as it will have two Christmas Specials instead of one, so they would be avoiding what they had done the previous series.

Ah no, I meant sells the series abroad to foreign TV stations.

Apparently it's twelve episodes beginning August Bank Holiday weekend - that's according to the same leaked memo which was ultimately responsible for the early leaking of the Matt Smith story. I think that means it finishes November 15th.(.

Has it been confirmed that series 8 w will be a straight run through or are they planning to have a mid series break again ?

And then, you have to remember, budgets are down and production has been pegged back - hence the spreading of Series 7 across two years. If making runs of twelve rather than thirteen or fourteen is what it takes to have Doctor Who an annual thing again, then to me that's a compromise worth having.

As I've said before it was inevitable that Doctor Who would be effected by the cuts the BBC are making and no doubt there are going to be a lot of fans moaning and complaining about the loss of one episode. But if it is a 12 episode series than we should count are selves lucky that Doctor Who won't of been effected o much by the cuts as we could just a easily seen 6 episodes cut from series 8.

No they haven't confirmed it's a full run.

My guess is they have reversed the (effective) 50% episode cut we've seen in 2012 and 2013 on the grounds that a full series is needed to establish a new Doctor. Also if he decides to leave after a year and they've only made 6 episodes, it begins to look a bit stupid.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Even if it does start in August, it'll run till October or November if we get 13 episodes in one run... my god, I'm salivating at the prospect of that much Doctor Who in one go!
    Calm down Rob.
    And - you may be back in the UK to watch it!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Director of the Christmas special announced: http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...ctor-confirmed

The director of this year's Doctor Who Christmas special has been revealed.

Jamie Payne, who previously directed Series 7's 'Hide', will direct the one-hour episode, reports Blogtor Who.

The director has also helmed episodes of The White Queen, The Hour and Call the Midwife.

The BBC announced earlier this month that Matt Smith will leave Doctor Who in the special, which also sees the return of Jenna-Louise Coleman as Clara. Filming will begin in Cardiff later this summer.

Right, so this interview confirms Matt is in the Christmas Special (well that's the plan anyway) http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/10/do...steven-moffat/

Couldn't find the "Next Doctor" thread, so I thought it might be worth it here?

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/bo...-out-of/312478

Just as well I didn't put money on if true!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Right, so this interview confirms Matt is in the Christmas Special (well that's the plan anyway) http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/07/10/do...steven-moffat/
    Eh? When was that ever in doubt?

It was in doubt elsewhere, though we're a little less rabid here. As Matt had gone and done that goodbye and thanks video and had his hair cut off, that apparently meant he was gone for good.

Will there be enough time for his hair to grow back for Christmas? Or will it be Baldy Who, shining like a Christmas Bauble?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It gives scope for years of missing stories if he has different hair in his last story!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

I've just realised I was confusing the Christmas Special with the Anniversary Special. It would be a bit weird if he wasn't in the latter.

They start recording the Christmas Special today.

Interesting times! It's tempting to presume that they must have an idea who #12 is but it's worth remembering that Tennant recorded his appearance in The Parting of the Ways over a month after Eccleston had finished filming and I believe he'd only agreed to take the job on about 10 days previously.