Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Things in Who that you need an answer to...

Have you got a question about Doctor Who that you want answering? If so, this is the thread.

My question is this: in The Time Monster when the Master is preparing to travel in his TARDIS to Atlantis, he tests the power levels of the console, then says "Just a few minutes recycling, and we shall be ready to leave".

What does he mean, "recycling"? Is he going to sort out his plastics from his aluminium cans? Is there a recycling plant in his TARDIS? Someone explain!

Perhaps he means the TARDIS is cycling through some pre-launch checks or something; and having done it before, is is therefore re-cycling.

What does the Doctor do with his multi-coloured scarf after "The horns of Nimon"/"Shada"? I'm sure we don't see it until Ace digs it out of a cupboard (maybe there is my answer). ....I love the season 18 outfit, but it annoys me he's worn nothing else since- even when Tom returned for "Dimensions in time" and those NZ adverts.
    Also, why does The Docotr stop wearing his hat?? There's a definate head covering drop off during seasons 14 and 15 I think...

Questions with no definite answers, I suspect!
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

He did wear more than one of the multi coloured scarves between Robot and Nimon (at least two: one's much wider), so they probably went back into one of the wardrobe rooms along with all his old clothes.

Although there is a bit in the Frontios book (not on the TV version) where Turlough finds one of the Doctor's old scarves and ties it in loads of knots which the Doctor then tries to undo. And there's also a familiar looking scarf in one of the hospital lockers which the Eighth Doctor finds in his TV story (leading some to speculate that Tom's Doctor had visited there before).

Apparently Tom tended not to wear the hat so much in later years because he found it quite hot under the studio lights. Maybe the Doctor had the same reason...

Pip Madeley Guest

On the subject of scarves, you might want to visit The Doctor Who Scarf website, Carol - it's a very entertaining read.

The original scarf (last seen in Shada) still exists, in a private collection, click here for a very recent pic of it.

What is the green goo on the back of Sutekh's tapestry in part 3 of "Pyramids of Mars"? Paint left behind by the scenery-men?

You can see the original multi-coloured scarf on the hatstand along with many of Tom's old coats through most of Season 18.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

I guess it just got put away in the TARDIS somewhere, then.

Unless there's a Missing Adventure.

Talking of Time Monster on the first post, I've never understood how the Doctor was able to pilot the TARDIS in the story.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, to first answer my own question, I think the power drain means his TARDIS isn't ready to dematerialize - thought what "recycling" means is still a mystery.

Onto your question Jonno, as I understand it the Doctor's plan is to use the Time Sensor gadget to hook his TARDIS inside the Master's - I guess he's able to do this despite the Time Lord block? Perhaps because it's not a proper journey? I dunno.

Another question re: The Time Monster - if the V1 bomb was brought forward in time and exploded in the present day, how come the country bumpkin bloke remembers it exploding in 1944?

Captain Tancredi Guest

It's one of those parts of the country where nothing happens for thirty years at a stretch.

Having recently rewatched 'Earthshock', I was left wondering whether anybody ever went back for Sergeant Walters and his screen, who seem to be forgotten about when everybody goes off to the freighter in Part Two.

Pip Madeley Guest

I guess he just got into their spaceship and went home for tea?

(serious, me? )

Walters was left behind and took up a career in intergalactic salvage, originally inspired by his idea to sell his deceased colleagues' helmets to the people in Trial of a Timelord, Delta and the Bannermen and Red Dwarf.

I have come to adore Si's smart arse reposnes...and he's right damn him xx to Si
    Well, I will have to double check..

Yes, Pip I know the scarf site...I want one!!!

There was one comment which I thoght was bollocks though... I bit like my typing whoch I have to go back and correct..ah sod it

I have come to adore Si's smart arse reposnes...and he's right damn him xx to Si
    Smart arse? Me?

Si xx

In the best possible way my darling!

In a multi-Doctor story, for agument sake, The Two Doctors, why doesnt the latest Doctor already know what is happening when he has already gone through the adventure in a previous incarnation?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

They mention that the drug that Dastari administers will result in amnesia

Make way for a naval officer!

I wonder if it's also a cure for your hair going grey...

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I'd forgotten about that.

Doesn't regeneration also affect the memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

So what about The Three and Five Doctors? No drugs were administered. If regeneration affects memory why is it only Multi Doctor stuff that gets erased?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Regeneration affects the memory of meeting one's self. That's my reasoning & I'm sticking to it.

Now here's a theory...

Both The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors involve the various Doctors being taken out of their own time streams and plonked somewhere they shouldn't be... maybe this means that the adventures are therefore happening simultaneously for all the various Doctor's involved and so there aren't actually any memories to be had until after the adventure had happened....

Or something.

Si xx

On the subject of The Two Doctors, why is Dastari drugged in episode 1, when he's clearly in it up to his non-epicanthic eyebrows?

Some thing that has always bugged me is this in Mawdryn Undead, when the two Brigadiers come together there is a big expolosion of energy and when Rose picks her baby self up in Fathers Day it also causes big problems.

so why is it in the The Three Doctors and Five Doctors all The Doctors shake hands with each other and nothing happens...