Default Doctor Who Comics

Does anyone read any of the Doctor Who comics out there? IDW produce most of them and they're 3 issues into a 50th Anniversary run (Prisoners in Time) where each issue features a different Doctor. We've just had the 3rd Doctor and it was a great little story. IDW also produce a monthly ongoing Who comic which is currently being written by Andy Diggle who is a solid writer. Haven't read any of those though.
    And there was the recent Doctor Who / Star Trek the Next Generation crossover which was good fun (even if the ending fizzled out) and which had fantastic artwork by the wonderful J K Woodward, who sketched my avatar at a recent con and who is officially the niciest comic artist on the planet (as well as one of the best)
    So anyone read any of them or is this thread just going to be me going on all by myself?

I've read volume one of the graphic novel of the STTNG thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    (even if the ending fizzled out)
    Don't think I'll read any more... It has looked good though, it's managed to feel like Doctor Who and Star Trek, and I will be reading further volumes if I can get hold of them.

I only read the DWM comic strip, which seems to be having a splendid resurgence of quality at the moment.

This is out next week:

Must get this!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I haven't actually read any of IDWs titles, and it has been some time since I read even DWM's strip. I seem to be stuck in a time-warp just re-reading old favourites. I've always meant to try out IDW, though.

However, I see that IDW lost the licence to publish Doctor Who comics and it was snapped up by Titan. I've got no idea whether this will be a good thing or not, but Titan's first issues are due for release in July...

Back in January, BBC Worldwide and Titan Comics announced their new partnership to produce brand new comics based on the 10th, 11th, and 12th Doctors from the acclaimed British sci-fi staple, ‘Doctor Who’. Now, we finally know who the creative teams behind David Tennant and Matt Smith’s Doctors are, plus we have some exclusive artwork from the first issues to share.

As indicated by the names of the comics, ‘Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor’ and ‘Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor’ will bring never before seen adventures from Gallifrey’s favorite son to Whovians all over the world by way of their local comic book shops featuring two of the most beloved actors to step into the iconic role in recent history. (Sorry, Christopher Eccleston fans. No new adventures for the Ninth Doctor for now.)

Before the first issues of both series hit the shelves this summer, you can get your first look at the covers of each respective title created by Alice X. Zhang, along with info on who will be piloting the TARDIS for these adventures:

DOCTOR WHO: THE TENTH DOCTOR #1

THE TENTH DOCTOR IS BACK, IN AN ALL-NEW ONGOING SERIES! NEW COMPANION! NEW HORIZONS! UNFORGETTABLE NEW FOES! ALLONS-Y!

Eisner Award-winning writer Nick Abadzis (‘Laika’) and fan-favorite artist Elena Casagrande (‘Angel’, ‘Suicide Risk’, ‘Doctor Who’, ‘Star Trek’) take control of the TARDIS for their first five-issue arc with the Tenth Doctor! And don’t miss the second arc, by fellow series architect Robbie Morrison (‘Drowntown’, ‘Nikolai Dante’, ‘The Authority’)!
    DOCTOR WHO: THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR #1

THE ELEVENTH DOCTOR RETURNS IN AN ALL-NEW ONGOING SERIES, WITH A TIME-TWISTING LEAP INTO THE UNKNOWN! GERONIMO!

Series architects Al Ewing (‘Loki: Agent of Asgard’, ‘Mighty Avengers’, ‘Trifecta’) and Rob Williams (‘Revolutionary War’, ‘Ordinary’, ‘Miss Fury’, ‘The Royals: Masters of War’, ‘Trifecta’) kick off a whirlwind adventure through eternity for the Eleventh Doctor, with artist Simon Fraser (‘Nikolai Dante’, ‘Grindhouse’, ‘Doctor Who’)!

As for the Twelfth Doctor’s series, details should be announced shortly after Peter Capaldi begins his run through space and time later this year. Until then, details of the Doctor’s latest regeneration are still being kept tightly under wraps.

What do you think about these covers for ‘Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor’ and ‘Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor’? Are you excited to follow your favorite Doctor back into the TARDIS for some new adventures thanks to BBC, Titan Comics, and some comic book industry all-stars? Let us know if you plan on adding these books to your pull list this summer in the comments below.

‘Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor’ and ‘Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor’ go on sale at your local comic book stores on July 23, 2014.

A couple of well-drawn covers there, but they're prime examples of my pet hate about modern comics covers...the majority of them are dull, simply boring poses (albeit well-drawn boring poses)...a cover is supposed to catch your attention and draw you into the story, but where is the excitement in these covers? What do they tell you about what's going on inside the issues? What is there about these covers which would make you want to buy these comics? Not a lot, as far as I can tell. To someone who may never have heard of Doctor Who, these are only pictures of two guys looking moody holding some sort of stick!

However, as we all know you shouldn't always judge a book by it's cover.

I haven't read any of the new Who comics since Titan took over, but I've just seen that they're doing a "The Four Doctors" five issue mini series celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Cybermen, which looks like it could be quite fun - http://titancomics.tumblr.com/post/1...er-event-comic

Edit: I, er, just nipped to the local comic shop and there's so many Who related books out now, including regular series for the ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth Doctors, and there's been recent mini-series for four and eight as well. I've read the first issue of The Ninth Doctor's comic, which only began this month, and it was surprisingly smart and fun, I'm not quite sure where it's supposedly set canon-wise but it has Rose and Captain Jack as permanent companions and it works really well. Either way I'll definitely be getting hold of the others now.
    Last edited by Alex; 21st Apr 2016 at 3:13 PM. Reason: More rambling.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

One barely knows where to start with them. I did read the first volume of their 10th Doctor collected comics and was quite entertained.

I've just read Paul Cornell's The Four Doctors mini-series and enjoyed it a great deal, damnit, they really should hire him to write for the series again. And soon!

I also noticed that there's a Third Doctor mini-series just launched, which I'm looking forward to reading later on, shall report back if it's any good.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I've got this as well, been collecting it as it was released but haven't got round to reading it...the same with the 4th Doctor series which looks really good as well. I just prefer to have a complete story available before starting to read it, as I tend to forget about them when I'm waiting a month or so for the next installment...the Four Doctors has just jumped to the top of my reading list now!

I've been waiting for the library to deliver the graphic novel (for some time now, I should add!), so there's something to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    I've got this as well, been collecting it as it was released but haven't got round to reading it...the same with the 4th Doctor series which looks really good as well. I just prefer to have a complete story available before starting to read it, as I tend to forget about them when I'm waiting a month or so for the next installment...the Four Doctors has just jumped to the top of my reading list now!
    The Fourth Doctor series was just a mini-series and has now ended, I read it yesterday and thought it was really enjoyable and captured the characters very well, so I hope it sold well and that they bring it back as a regular series. Indeed it'd be great if all the doctors had their own ongoing run, but I'm guessing that might over saturate the market a little bit too much.

I've also read a fair deal of 10, 11 and 12's comics, and only 12 isn't quite working for me, he's still all too often the grouchy, moody Capaldi from Season 8, rather than the slightly lighter version in Season 9. Plus Clara's the companion. But 10 and 11 are really great, I was dubious about Titan taking over control of the comics initially but they've put together some pretty decent writers and artists and it has a slightly more adult feel to them, at least compared to the patchy IDW runs.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I'm 3 issues into the 4 Doctors series now, reading an issue a night. Really enjoying it so far, the only minor niggle is the fact that, not having previously read any of Titans other DW output, I'm not familiar with the companions of Doctord 10 & 11...something I'll probably try to rectify after this fun read

The first image of the 13th Doctor comic has been released, have to say I think the art looks lovely:

I've also read the first issue of Andrew Cartmel's 7th Doctor mini-series, but unfortunately I thought it was pretty shoddy, the Doctor's hardly in it and when he is the characterisation feels misjudged. Add to that a story which doesn't really excite and I doubt I'll both reading the rest of it.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."