Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Regeneration Box

Coming next month...

Rumour suggests that this will contain all the regeneration stories so far, at least according to this site

So will this be the first available version of The Tenth Planet with the animated episode?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Just for a laugh, maybe it'll be
    Bad Wolf-Parting of the Ways- Christmas Invasion
    The End of Time - The Eleventh Hour

Bazinga !

Steve Roberts confirmed this is a boxset containing:

THE TENTH PLANET
    THE WAR GAMES
    PLANET OF THE SPIDERS
    LOGOPOLIS
    THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI
    TIME AND THE RANI
    THE TV MOVIE
    BAD WOLF / THE PARTING OF THE WAYS
    THE END OF TIME

all of them vanilla with no extras - The Tenth Planet will have the animated episode 4 months before it's solo release. It's nothing to do with the restoration team and is aimed at the casual fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    Steve Roberts confirmed this is a boxset containing:

THE TENTH PLANET
    THE WAR GAMES
    PLANET OF THE SPIDERS
    LOGOPOLIS
    THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI
    TIME AND THE RANI
    THE TV MOVIE
    BAD WOLF / THE PARTING OF THE WAYS
    THE END OF TIME

all of them vanilla with no extras - The Tenth Planet will have the animated episode 4 months before it's solo release. It's nothing to do with the restoration team and is aimed at the casual fan.
    No Colin ? (60 seconds at the end of Caves does NOT count). For Shame !!
    Bazinga !

I think I'll wait until The Tenth Planet gets its solo release...

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Most of those stories have cliffhanger endings!

Clever bit of marketing. The dedicated fan will buy it for the Tenth Planet cartoon, the casual fan will buy it because it's got David Tennant in it and then they'll be compelled to buy more DVDs because of the cliffhanger factor. Genius.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's nit genius, it's greedy and a cash in.

Also won't a lot of fans who would have bought TTP on release now just download it when one rich fan gets the box set and puts it on Pirate Bay?

Si.

It depends on whether you want the extras that come in the stand alone release I guess. This is just a straight release of the episodes involved, no extras at all, aside from the animated episode.

Of course, in the meantime they'll probably find pt 4 anyway and put that on the proper disc

@Si.

Steve Roberts on the set:

I can't, because I know very little about it. This is not a Dan Hall / Restoration Team project, it seems to be something 2e marketing have put together. It's definitely NOT aimed at people like you who collect the existing DW DVD range - as far as I'm aware it's just the stories with no extras or anything. I suspect somebody thought it would be a good way to introduce newbies to the range in the anniversary year.

Can't really argue with that marketing policy I suppose. DW is the cash cow that keeps on mooing for Auntie Beeb...

It's a cash cow, so why not milk it? If this gets people interested in the old series (though quite how a box set containing Time and The Rani & the TV Movie is supposed to do that is a mystery) then all the better.

I'm more ambivalent towards these kind of releases. We're satisfied because we're getting decent old series DVDs, the new series stuff is coming out (although I'd like some more interesting special features) and this might serve as a bridge between the two. Us old series fans are let off from buying it, so it won't cost us a penny.

I'll bet it's a good seller for the range too.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Love Steve Roberts "nothing to do with me. The BBC... well, someone else is doing it. I bet they've no idea it would accidentally tempt people into buying an exclusive, unavailable anywhere-else story at the expense of having to buy an entire box set".

I've no problem with them milking the cash cow. It's a bit devious to stick a highly-anticipated, exclusive, unreleased animation of the most notorious missing episode on an expensive box set though, leaving people to choose between buying 8 stories they already own to get it or waiting 6 months. If it's ready for release, why isn't available generally at the same time? Oh there's an idea. Bet they didn't even think of it!

Si.

WHilst I understand the cynicism about this release, and with absolue respect to anyone here who may fall into this bracket, if people can't wait 6 months for the Tenth Planet, then that's a bit, well, sad! And I actually mean 'sad' as in 'unhappy', not 'pathetic'...

Oh, I think it's very sad in every sense of the word. I was helping Diddy Doc move house last week.... 200+ boxes of duplicates, variants and more, because some fans just can't bear to be without or to wait.

The BBC, or any producer of collectibles, can't stop producing things for the mass markets because some anoraks can't or won't overcome their own addiction. Especially when the same item is going to be released for the collectors' market in a matter of months anyway.

I've stopped going into HMV or similar stores with one mate of mine who complains every time that he's disgusted that he paid Ł20 for something the day it came out and there it is now for Ł5 or 5 for Ł20. Every time. Stop feckin' buying it on the day it comes out for crying out loud!!!!

Errrr. Hmmm. Rant over. Back on topic.

I think it's potentially a good idea. Especially if releases for the mass market helps fund the fan market for things that don't have mass appeal. It may pay for animating lost stories. Or losing shit stories. Or something.

I really should buy this as it seems tailor made for me.
    Sorry for those who have already bought each one, and Mike's story is heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Love Steve Roberts "nothing to do with me. The BBC... well, someone else is doing it. I bet they've no idea it would accidentally tempt people into buying an exclusive, unavailable anywhere-else story at the expense of having to buy an entire box set".

Si.

TBH even though TTP was missing an episode I'm just suprised that this box set wasn't released years ago just makes you wonder if we'll be getting a debut box set at some point.

Mike has already made the point (I think), but this "milking the cash cow" is exactly what's paid for animating missing episodes, and colourising b&w episodes.

I wonder what Baysan Tulu thinks of it?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Mike has already made the point (I think), but this "milking the cash cow" is exactly what's paid for animating missing episodes, and colourising b&w episodes.
    ?

And even with TTP coming out later you'll still have those obcessive collectaholics who will buy this set.

Ooh, tempting...

I want one for every room of my house.

Si.

Funny that Matt Smith is on the cover given he appears in precisely 1 minute of footage in the boxed set.

Lucky new fans getting to sit through fast paced classics like The War Games and Planet of The Spiders!

And also:

You never know- they might appreciate the slower pace!

And Colin gets even less screen time in this set than Matt.

It's all very odd and not "iconic" really.