Default The Nostalgia Thread

Sometimes we all like a good look back at things we've suddenly remembered for no good reason. So I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to things you've found yourself getting nostalgic about. Post pictures, memories and anything else you think might spark some memories off for the rest of the forum.

So, anyway, the other week I was out with some members of PS and we came across a shop that was selling little models of these blobby amorphous things...

Who remembers who they are?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Not me!

A few weeks ago though, I had a pure day of nostalgia. I got my old friend Ben over and hauled the Amiga A500 down from the loft. All the old discs came out and we rediscovered lots of games from decades before. Astonishingly, all the discs still loaded and we were able to load Deluxe Paint and Workbench and look at pictures we'd made from 20 years ago, as if the discs had just been put down yesterday.

Guilty as charged! I went very misty-eyed over the Barbaparpas! It was one of those 5 minute cartoons they showed before the 6pm news, just like Willo The Wisp and Ludwig!

I used to watch Willo-the-wisp!

Having lost my Mum last year this reminded me of her. (You always knew you'd got off school when you heard this).

Some kids programme memories from my childhood are as follows:
    Bag Puss, Trumpton, Chigley, Camberwick Green, Mr Ben, Bod, The Flumps, Rentaghost, Captain Pugwash, Ivor the Engine, Dungeons & Dragons, Stop the Pigeon, The Wombles, You & Me, Rainbow, Play School, Playaway, Worzel Gummidge...I could go on & on & on...

You Tube is awash with old TV themes. I have a theme tune channel going on in the background. The memories...

(Shame about the advert interruptions though).

This nostalgia threads not as good as nostalgia threads used to be...

They kind of remind me of these bad boys:

Watched dozens of episodes of this. Didn't understand a single one. I didn't even like it very much, but it does make me feel nostalgic. Nostalgic for old European telly that I didn't like or understand. Hmm.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I caught the start of an old Knots Landing the other day (from 1979 according to the credits!!) which made me nostalgic for lazy Friday night viewing when the whole weekend stretched out ahead with nothing at all to worry about or to do other than enjoy it... Aw, nice.

It's not coincidence that NOSTALGIA anagrams to LOST AGAIN.

Well it probably is, but that wouldn't be very profound, now would it?

It's frightening that not only do I remember Barbapapa, but I remember that Michael Flanders (Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud) did the narration. No wonder nobody wants to play me at Trivial Pursuit any more...

Sometimes we have overcast days here in Qatar, or at least days where some trick of the light as I'm leaving the car park in the morning makes it look as though it might be cloudy. Those days make me nostalgic / homesick for living in the UK.

Usually there's nothing but a layer of pollution between the sky and the ground.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I fear I'm overloading on the nostalgia front lately. I have been watching more vintage TV recently, indeed don't watch too much modern telly (I fortunately gave up on EastEnders back in February and don't miss it at all). Though I am currently regularly watching Walking Dead, Under the Dome and Bates Motel on digital channels for modern cult TV kicks.

Most of my music viewing/listening is old stuff - Vintage TV has become a real favourite this year and I'm not very au fait with the modern music soundscape.

And I'm currently re-reading old comics and books from my childhood.

Probably not very healthy, but there's lots about the modern world and way of living (and especially working) that I don't care for and maybe that's why I feel the need to escape...

Last time I tried to escape the modern world, I ended up on Earth...

My wife always accuses me of living in the past, but I think it's good to get nostalgic every now and then.

I long for one of these;

and to play this game again;

and I quite ofetn find myself watching those old kids TV shows on YouTube. My memories are of shows as Blue Peter, Magpie, Grange Hill, Mr Benn, Magic Roundabout, Bagpuss etc etc etc
    Last edited by duncan; 20th Sep 2013 at 8:56 AM.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Now I've been thinking, there's also;

and who can forget;

I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

All very familiar to me, Duncan. Loved the Chewits ad's.

Apparently Funny Feet may be making a come back soon. I hope so- I loved themn when I was small too!

And Pacers were ace- minty Opal Fruits, yum!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

They probably can't bring back the Space Dust for health & safety reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    All very familiar to me, Duncan. Loved the Chewits ad's.
    Come back Chuck, come back!

Yeah, that one & the one you posted a screen grab of. Chew For Victory!

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    My wife always accuses me of living in the past
    I have a holiday home in Hastings in 1066. Not bad apart from this bloke Harold and his noisy friends next door...

Oh, I really used to like this thread - it reminds me so much of a month ago...