View Poll Results: How Would You Rate Reveleation of The Daleks

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: The Stuff of Life!

2 28.57%
  • 9: I will control the food production for the Whole Galxaxy!

2 28.57%
  • 8: It would take a mountain to crush an ego like yours.

2 28.57%
  • 7: The Garden of Fond Memories

1 14.29%
  • 6: I think not.

0 0%
  • 5: No arm in trying.

0 0%
  • 4: Good Secretaries are so hard to find these days.

0 0%
  • 3: I'd rather run away with my own mother!

0 0%
  • 2: Disgusting little squire.

0 0%
  • 1: It's a Bomb! It's a great big bomb!

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: Revelation of The Daleks

In which the Daleks are Revealed!

Yes I know it's a bit of a Revelation.

Don't call me by my name on an open Chunnel!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

A lot of people like Revelation of the Daleks. But what they don't realise is that it is the best plotted Doctor Who story of all time. Not in terms of motivation, but purely in terms of how Saward moves the characters about. You have all these disparate groups and yet their stories come together so neatly at the end. You might not learn everything about scriptwriting from watching Eric Saward stories - in fact you might not learn anything. But if you want an example of good workmanship, Revelation delivers.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's easy to admire, but I find it difficult to love it. There's great moments, but it's so grim and grotesque. I'm glad it exists, but I'm glad that not all Doctor Who is like this one.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Ah, good to see that the 'Back to Season 22' thread has finally returned after is hiatus!

I like Revelation more each time I see it - it's almost certainly the best of season 22, it's definitely the one that feels most written for a 2 x 45 slot, and it's unquestionably Colin's best performance of that year. I particularly like his handling of the scenes in the garden near the end of part 1: "I never thought precognisance of my own death would be so disturbing."

Like you though, Si, I wouldn't want all Who to be like this - it's grim in places, and grimy, and spends probably too much time interested in its own guest characters at the expense of the regulars. Like The Seeds of Doom and The Caves of Androzani, it has its own very definite take on Who, and its own distinctive style - but I would never be a fan of a show that was always like this.

And let's address the elephant in the room - Jenny Tomasin is just a bit rubbish. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    it's so grim and grotesque.
    That's what I like most about it, and in fact that what I like about all of Season 22 (including Timelash, but that's grotesque in a completely different way... ).

We're late doing these season finales aren't we?

I remember seeing Revelation of the Daleks when it was repeated 20 years ago on BBC 2 in it's 4-part version. Years later, when I was older I saw it again and got a better understanding of the story. It's really good, not only the best of Season 22 but Colin Baker's best adventure in my book.

There are some great performances especially Clive 'Richard Bucket' Swift as the nasty Mr. Jobel. Superb direction from Graeme Harper and elements taken from Soylent Green.

10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    And let's address the elephant in the room - Jenny Tomasin
    A bit harsh calling her an elephant isn't it?

I rather like Jenny Tomasin's performance. It feels real somehow compared to some of the other characters around her. Maybe there's something about her devotion to Mr Jobel that inspires this feeling?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Jenny Tomasin is great, but she's playing a character who is supposed to be embarrassing, charmless and annoying. This sort of thing tends to put viewers off, especially in such a grim story.

Just re-watched this one and it's generally great. But it's entirely down to the efforts of the cast and the director. The basic script has some great ideas, but the dialogue is so ridiculously stinky it's a pain to listen to it. Davros is always on about 'Fools!' Try replacing 'Fools' with the other F word for a more dynamic effect.

You F***s! You cannot kill me! I am Davros!
    He is a F***! I once offered him immortality!

Peri's main purpose in the story is to be chased by ugly men and to say 'Can't we go back to the TARDIS?' at least once an episode.

"Why did I allow myself to be talked into this folly?"
    "You must leave here. I have a bomb and I would like to explode it."

And other gems...

Still, it's a very enjoyable story and richly atmospheric.