Default "Prequels": an annoyance

As a warning, before I start, this is extremely nit-picky and anally retentive, but it really is irritating me...

The word "prequel" as used by the current production team. It's wrong. Grammatically wrong. A "prequel" is something that gets made AND shown AFTER the finished product. The Star Wars prequels are the prime examples of this.

But what we've been seeing effectively since the beginning of Series 6 have been not been prequels, but preludes. Little scenes that are released BEFORE the ultimate product. Not a prequel in any way.

Is anyone else as irritated as I by this repeated grammatical faux-pas?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Well yes, it could be a Prologue really.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Thank god it's not just me Mr Williams!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Saville View Post
    Thank god it's not just me Mr Williams!
    Hurrah! Pedants united!

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

In defence of the use of the word, I will say only this: they are using the word "Prequel" as a name rather than a description, much as you might use the name Ralph to describe a man named Ralph, but by doing so you aren't saying that all men are named Ralph. The word "prequel" is a made-up word formed out of two pre-existing words anyway, so although its meaning is pretty clear, its definition is probably still open to adaptation. And with these Prequels, the meaning is clear: they are little prologues to the main event and there's not really any mistaking that. Technically the word might not be correct, but it gets the job done. I must admit it doesn't bother me anything like as much as "I was sat" or "would of."

I agree it's very low on my list as far as examples of the bastardisation of the English language is concerned, but when it comes to institutions like the BBC I'm sadly old enough to have expectations of a standard less sloppily held.

Yes it niggles me too Ant - You Are Not Alone. If there wasn't really a word to describe what they are, then using 'Prequel' would be fine... but we've already got 'Prelude' and 'Prologue' which are perfectly fine words.

Maybe we should send the question into DWM's 'Ask Steven' page!!

Well it's better than TARDISode.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    In defence of the use of the word, I will say only this: they are using the word "Prequel" as a name rather than a description, much as you might use the name Ralph to describe a man named Ralph, but by doing so you aren't saying that all men are named Ralph.
    With all due respect, J.R., I completely disagree with you! If you had a man called Ralph, but called him "Rafe", then you would be giving him the wrong name. Just as with these, the Production Team are calling them "prequels", when they are, in fact, "prologues" or "preludes".

Maybe it's the result of coming from an academic humanities background, but it really, really irritates me...

----

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    With all due respect, J.R., I completely disagree with you! If you had a man called Ralph, but called him "Rafe", then you would be giving him the wrong name.
    We're looking at you Mister Fffffeines. Your name's R A L P H- so get your head out of your public school arse and admit it!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    With all due respect, J.R., I completely disagree with you! If you had a man called Ralph, but called him "Rafe", then you would be giving him the wrong name. Just as with these, the Production Team are calling them "prequels", when they are, in fact, "prologues" or "preludes".
    Ah but that's my point, which I don't seem to have made very well.

They're not calling them "prequels". They have named them such. There's a huge distinction.

I'd say you'd have a point if they'd named them TARDISodes (which they did). After all, that's not even a word, but it's okay because it's the name they gave to them. Whereas.... prequel is a word which does mean something, regardless of whether it's a made-up word formed from two others. Further, it means something that ALMOST matches what these "prequels" are, but not quite. Therefore it just doesn't look like anything other than an incorrect useage of the words.

After all, if they'd "named" them Epilogues or something, you'd have a hard time defending that on the basis that it's just a name and not a description.

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    I'd say you'd have a point if they'd named them TARDISodes (which they did). After all, that's not even a word, but it's okay because it's the name they gave to them. Whereas.... prequel is a word which does mean something, regardless of whether it's a made-up word formed from two others. Further, it means something that ALMOST matches what these "prequels" are, but not quite. Therefore it just doesn't look like anything other than an incorrect useage of the words.

After all, if they'd "named" them Epilogues or something, you'd have a hard time defending that on the basis that it's just a name and not a description.
    I agree with what Mr Hamson said!

----

My view has nothing to do with grammar or the correct use of words, but I find that having to go on-line to watch a small prologue (or whatever) very annoying - why can't they just make it as part of the episode. Or maybe as a trailer?