Default Daft Punk New Album

NME gave it 10/10. Q gave it 5 out of 5. And "Get Lucky" number one for a few weeks.

Hype? Or have Daft Punk made the album of the year? I'm hopefully getting it tomorrow, but has anyone beaten me to it yet?

And is it a thing of beauty?

I liked Get Lucky to begin with but it got boring very quick. It doesn't really go anywhere once the retro novelty wears off. Not heard the album but seen mixed reviews. Some love it and some thing it's dull.

A lot of people are saying 'Best thing ever' which is an interesting sign.

Not heard the single for some reason. Actually, I've not heard any singles in years so it's not surprising.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And I'll be getting it in the next couple of hours!

I did make notes but gave up taking them after the fifth song.
    When it began it sounded like Soft Machine in the early 80's. So my heart sank a bit. It lifted every time that chord progression kicked in however!

Won over by the third one "Giorgio By Moroder". Last album I had of theirs in 2001, I loved it, but when I looked at the credits, some of my favourite tracks were actually built on samples. Looked at the booklet and the only sample is on the last track. And even then they offset it with an Astronaut whilst sounding like the keyboard work on Robert Wyatt's stuff.

It goes more experimental from "Touch" onwards.
    On first listen I love six, "Giorgio By Moroder","Touch","Beyond","Motherboard","Doing It Right" and "Control". So that's another seven to get into.

What I REALLY loved at the end of "Control" of course it's predictable that the computer would eventually meltdown. But after it's final fizzle, there is a silence, and then another fizzle, like the light coming back on the visor of a robot in a film with a "The End...?" credit.

Is it as good as everyone says it is? Six tracks definitely are. It's a benchmark. No idea if they'll top it.

I'm also impressed by the first single being the eighth track. Normally it's the second or third!

I've not heard the album but my "Emperors New Clothes" klaxon is sounding. Every now and then the factors come into conjunction and something like this becomes devastatingly cool such that everyone hails it as wonderful because everyone else is telling them to.

Certainly, people are saying some stupid things. Someone (and it pains me to say it, because it's someone we all like, but the point stands) said on Facebook of this album "It's what the entire art of music has been working up to". Here's hoping he was being ironic because it's such a pretentious, precocious comment suggesting that anyone who's ever made a recording was trying to do what these guys are doing.

I can only comment on the single, which doesn't excite me in the slightest. Yes, it's catchy, yes it's "cool" in that it doesn't risk alienating anyone by being controversial or different or unfashionable, and it's therefore going to appeal to everyone because it's so up to date and so safe, but shouldn't music be striving to be the opposite? Shouldn't it have bits that make you go "Wow!", shouldn't it gives you the shivers, shouldn't it irritate some people and make others overjoyed? Shouldn't it move things on?

This seems to be trying to be exactly what music today should sound like, so has mass appeal without really being hugely interesting. But if you genuinely find it's the best album ever, then great. I suspect that a lot of people will have it on "in the car" and those people need something to listen to, right?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I've not heard the album but my "Emperors New Clothes" klaxon is sounding. Every now and then the factors come into conjunction and something like this becomes devastatingly cool such that everyone hails it as wonderful because everyone else is telling them to.

Certainly, people are saying some stupid things. Someone (and it pains me to say it, because it's someone we all like, but the point stands) said on Facebook of this album "It's what the entire art of music has been working up to". Here's hoping he was being ironic because it's such a pretentious, precocious comment suggesting that anyone who's ever made a recording was trying to do what these guys are doing.

I can only comment on the single, which doesn't excite me in the slightest. Yes, it's catchy, yes it's "cool" in that it doesn't risk alienating anyone by being controversial or different or unfashionable, and it's therefore going to appeal to everyone because it's so up to date and so safe, but shouldn't music be striving to be the opposite? Shouldn't it have bits that make you go "Wow!", shouldn't it gives you the shivers, shouldn't it irritate some people and make others overjoyed? Shouldn't it move things on?

This seems to be trying to be exactly what music today should sound like, so has mass appeal without really being hugely interesting. But if you genuinely find it's the best album ever, then great. I suspect that a lot of people will have it on "in the car" and those people need something to listen to, right?

Si.
    Well the next single isn't going to be winning you over either!
    There are a few "Wow" moments. Not a full album's worth, but they are in there.
    I love how "Giorgio By Moroder" goes from electronic, to classical then to the same tune played on proper drums and instruments.
    It's very hyped, but there's still substance to it.
    And I'll be sick to death of hearing it by Christmas!

I'm sampling "Georgio By Moroder" on iTunes. It's just what sounds like a very generic disco sample with a bloke talking over it. Is it supposed to be a joke?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I've not heard the album but my "Emperors New Clothes" klaxon is sounding.
    Ding-dong!

It's awfully boring, derivative, and dated. IMO.

Basement Jaxx and Air must be currently dusting themselves down for a comeback...
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I really like 'Get Lucky'.