Default Death On The Line- Episode 1

Brendan Jones and Simon Hart

star in

Doctor Who
    Death On The Line
    by Steven Alexander

"Hi! Tom here. How are you doing? Look, it's been ages since I called so I thought I'd get in touch. It's about the Doctor, he's been acting strange again. Sometimes I wonder if he can even hear me. You never quite know where you are with him!

"We've landed on Earth, back in the 1980's. The Doctor got us involved in some industrial espionage, spying on behalf of Sir Clive Sinclair, but he hardly seems interested. He's leaving me to do all the work, which is just typical when I need him! The only advice I've heard from him is 'Don't answer the phone' - I ask you, what use is that?

"Anyway, I... can you hear me? Are you there? Yes, I can hear you. I hear you loud and clear. I hear you, I hear you, I hear youuuuuuuuu......"

Click.

Download Episode One Now!
    Last edited by Rob McCow; 7th Jul 2013 at 5:33 AM. Reason: Link Fixed

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Oh my! (to coin a phrase)

Very intriguing first half, I liked the way that by the end of the episode just the sound of a phone ringing could make me jump! Lovely short pre-credits teaser, giving nothing away but greatly intriguing (TV series take note), and what gloriously appropriate 'incidental' 'music' - I don't know whether somebody recorded those specially, or if they're just 'stock' but they really fitted the late 80s/computer setting.

Again, the relationship between Tom & the Doctor is fascinating - the former never quite sure whether something he might innocently say will set the latter off! And I also enjoyed not really knowing just what the Doctor's up to.... he can't really want to take a job with the Bell Company can he (and then presumably settle down and marry Madge!!).

Some good chuckles too, I loved the Doctor's reaction to his phone ringing ("psychic semaphore... with flags...") and also "please, call me Sir Clive".
    So, although you've done the same as the TV show and split the season, and thus given us the tricky problem of what to call a season opener that isn't actually opening the season... despite that, what a really enjoyable season (non) opener that was. Same time next week...?

Woop! Thanks for the comments Andrew (Yours is, of course, the only review that counts )

Really pleased you're enjoying this one - went for a slightly creepier tone this time, hope it's working.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Glad you enjoyed it Andrew! I can confirm there will be more to come next Sunday!

I must confess I struggled with the first half of the season, which I hasten to admit was more down to me than the stories themselves, and even though I enjoyed them when I finally found the time & got to listen to them - but having caught up, I really felt 'ready' for a brand new season (or brand new second half of a season!) this morning, and as luck would have it I had the PC & the sitting room to myself at just the right time. So, yes, I really did enjoy it!

Love what Brendan has done with the music for this one.
    Really great performances from the two leads in particular as ever.

I have to admit - that last phone ringing made me jump too!!

Excellent first episode - what an intriguing setting. Made oi laff how Tom kept getting mistaken for The Doctor. It's a sizeist Universe out there. The bridging pieces of music were sublime - I want them for my ringtones now :-)

The music is available as an album, and it is rather great isn't it? I'll be putting up a link to the album and composer next week along with Episode 2. In the meantime, there are two tracks used as 'office' music which I'll link to when I'm next on my Mac.

I'm so glad people are enjoying this, especially the music which was a big gamble! Cast list below, in order of appearance:

Alexander Graham Bell: Mackenzie Williams
    Thomas Watson: Michael Bousquet
    Thomas Sterling: Simon Hart
    The Doctor: Brendan Jones
    Frederick Ranklesmith: Ashley Culley
    Bernadette Adams: Ali Pearce
    Sir Clive Sinclair: Stephen Oakes
    George Bell: Tim Hawtin
    Howard Daley: Richard Brinck-Johnsen
    The Receiver: Charles Christopher

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

As promised...

Bell's Graphophone- Somebody's Coming to See Me Tonight:
    http://youtu.be/-ZSk9HwhacE

Sinclair reception- Bizarre Love Triangle:
    http://youtu.be/36M21ylo6OY

Sir Clive's Office- Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545 and Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings: http://youtu.be/UWwFh_TG4XQ

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Really great performances from the two leads in particular as ever.
    Thanks Richard

Really good stuff guys; very creepy!

I don't recognise many of those voices (or the names above) but everyone was really good.
    This one has a really different feel about it and I love the fact that then Doc is being a bit mysterios and sounds really fed up in places.
    As others have said the incidental music really works well; I agree in that it was a big gamble to try something so 'in your face' and unsubtle, but the gamble really paid off as it really suits the story and obviously the era it is set in.

I'm looking forward to episode 2 on Sunday.

Had another listen today. Have to confess I found the music very off-putting yesterday, but it was less surprising on a second listen and so not so intrusive.
    Lots of lovely mysteries being quite subtly pushed forwards here - will be interesting to see how they all come together in part2. And I reckon the Doctor might be heading for a slap, the way Tom is atm !!
    Bazinga !

It's always a delight to hear people's comments on these stories, so thanks for posting everyone

Very pleased to hear that it's going down well. I have to admit, I've only heard a pre-release version without music so far, so I'll have to listen to the finished product ASAP! That said, I've been delighted by Brendan's production on this one. Especially given that he's not done that many for us before, I've been very impressed!

I'm also hugely appreciative of the acting effort that's gone into this one, especially from Si and Brendan. I'm afraid I've all gone a bit luvvie my dears, but it's good stuff. Tom has every right to be annoyed with the Doctor's behaviour! But why is the Doctor behaving the way he is - maybe we'll find out in part two...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Thanks again everyone who said me and Brendan were good- it's very much appreciated here. It's a long, long time since we recorded this one (in part) but I do remember really enjoying playing Tom's pent up frustration throughout it and to try and build up the sense that things aren't quite right with both the Doctor and the situation in Cambridge. I've been very lucky and have had some great scenes to play throughout the season.

But you're quite right, if the Doctor carries on like this he will be heading for a slap (or more likely a punch, knowing Tom!) and it'll be well deserved. I love the fact that the Doctor is being obtuse throughout this episode- it's very annoying, but if you listen carefully you'll realise why I think...

I love the creepiness of the phones- it made me jump when I first read the script, and Brendan has done a great job of making the simple sound of a phone ringing become scary. The sparseness of the music and production really help to create this, because it comes from nowhere. Really good!

Very good episode, and I look forward to the next one at the weekend!

I'm really chuffed with the feedback- it's a rather eerie script, so I wanted to do justice to that. As such, I'm still working on Episode 2, and I hope you'll accept my apology for it not being ready yet.

I can't say much about why I want to take extra time on this without spoiling some of the story's mysteries, so I'll just say that I'm taking the extra time to make my production live up to the script. The episode will be available to download next Sunday at the latest- I intend to upload it the second it's ready!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Noooo, it's like 1985 all over again!!!

Only kidding - it'll give me chance for a second listen of the first part, in preparation for a first listen of the second part!!

No problem with me Brendan.
    It's always good to take your time and make it the very best that you can; that's what I always say!

I don't understand the problem! All they do in Part 2 is sit down and have a chat about all the issues, then resolve everything amicably. What takes so long?!?!

It's that scene when they're all swimming in ketchup which is taking the time.

I've been recording the foley on the balcony.

Him indoors is NOT impressed.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Jokes about the length of time this is taking because it's all swimming in ketchup, will not be appreciated.

Despite how amusing they might be
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Really enjoyed this, I love the idea of both Sir Alexander Bell and Sir Clive Sinclair featuring in the same story, and it had an unsettling feeling to it a lot of the time, whilst still containing some very funny moments (and I loved the usage of 8 Bit incidental music!). All of the performances were fantastic, and I don't really want to single out anyone, but I really enjoyed Si, Brendan, Stephen and Richard - especially when angry! .
    Last edited by Alex; 21st Jun 2013 at 12:10 AM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Oh no, I can't listen to it as we've changed & the link no longer works!

Try this link!

http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/audios...e-Episode1.mp3

Perhaps SiHart or Phil would be kind enough to update the initial post?

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Cheers Doc.