Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Elsewhere someone suggested that the Regenerations boxset might be a way of regaining some of the costs of the animation of part 4, before they reveal the episode itself is back! A nice thought, but...

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

This rumour is snowballing now, and the silence from the usual people speaks volumes...

*clutches at straws*

they'll have been discovered and made their way back just as the episodes were being commissioned and made as animations.
    Just to add to that, if they were negotiating privately it would be an unsubtle move to suddenly pull an animation. Might damage the negotiating position.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

SF debris has a video on this. In the video he mentions that Sierra Leone was one of these countries investigated and there was a civil war in Sierra Leone and their archives were destroyed in the fighting

http://sfdebris.com/videos/doctorwho/litupdate.asp

I want this to be true but it probably isn't

It's been known for a while now that there was a large lot of missing episodes in Sierra Leone as late as 1999 - namely Galaxy 4, The Myth Makers, The Massacre, The Celestial Toymaker, The Savages and The Smugglers - they are presumed destroyed in the civil war, but it's by no means 100% confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    This rumour is snowballing now, and the silence from the usual people speaks volumes...

*clutches at straws*

I've seen several posters over on G.B say the same thing in the past these Rumours have been very quickly stamped on and proved to be a hoax. Even the number of episodes claimed to of been found changes the first total I saw said 60 episodes had been found then it was 40.

If this rumour does turn out to be true right at this moment we don't know if the BBC are already in procession of these episodes or in negotiations for their return. If it's the latter then that would go a long way to explain why there seems to be a wall of silence at the moment.

Ian Levine says he believes it was a hoax. Make of that what you will.

Because there is NO WAY that after ALL THESE YEARS missing EPISODES are likely TO BE returned it is now ALMOST fifty YEARS since THEY were lost IN THE first place.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Because there is NO WAY that after ALL THESE YEARS missing EPISODES are likely TO BE returned it is now ALMOST fifty YEARS since THEY were lost IN THE first place.

If it had been a couple of episodes I might just of been inclined to of believed this rumour but my gut feeling is that this will again turn out to be a hoax. Simple reason being I just don't believe the BBC can take procession of 40 plus missing episodes and keep it secret.

So what do we think Moffat meant when he spoke of the "happy accident" (IIRC) that the fans will have to celebrate for the anniversary...?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

So what do we think Moffat meant when he spoke of the "happy accident" (IIRC) that the fans will have to celebrate for the anniversary...?
    The fiftieth anniversary show will end with the death of the Doctor and be the last show ever!

I just don't believe the BBC can take procession of 40 plus missing episodes and keep it secret.
    It might depend on whether they'd recieved them or not. If they're just following up a rumour or a possibility of missing episodes, then that might be easier to keep secret.

I've no idea of the context, but Moffat may have been referring to the fact that schedules have combined so that he can use the special to lead into a regeneration, or even that it just so happens 23/11/13 is a Saturday. I'd be amazed if he was talking about missing episodes... although as always would love to be wrong, wrong, wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Ian Levine says he believes it was a hoax. Make of that what you will.
    He also tweeted about a week ago telling people to be quiet as endless speculation may harm any delicate negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    or even that it just so happens 23/11/13 is a Saturday.
    I'll ignore the other bit as speculation , but I have wondered about this. Must be a lot easier for the BBC to clear the saturday schedules for a bumper DW night, I'd think.

New special, new documentary, a possible AUC repeat, new docu-drama....then two hours of previously missing episodes.

Although I'm holding out for a DW themed special episode of "The Apprentice", with Eccleston taking the place of Alan Sugar....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Although I'm holding out for a DW themed special episode of "The Apprentice", with Eccleston taking the place of Alan Sugar....
    Instead of 'You're Fired' he could say 'You are ERASED from Doctor Who!'

At the risk of puncturing any balloons, an interview on the Graham Norton show recently (I won't say who with, in case you're keeping away from any casting news Steve) suggested that the Anniversary Special is fitting an hour slot between Strictly and something else... so I'm not sure it'll be a whole evening of Who, at least not on BBC1.

One thing I don't quite understand is how a load of fans speculating on the Internet could possibly "harm negotiations". Paul Vanezis stated that if he had some episodes internet discussion would make him run a mile or something. But WHY? Surely the person knows what the internet is, and knows there are going to be people clamouring for news. Even if (and I haven't even seen any of this, most people are just either hopefully or dismissive it's true) people are slagging off a person unseen for hoarding the episodes, you'd have to be pretty thin-skinned to get upset because some people are talking on a message board. If you even knew. I really don't see why threads on forums harm negotiations.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    people are slagging off a person unseen for hoarding the episodes, you'd have to be pretty thin-skinned to get upset because some people are talking on a message board. If you even knew. I really don't see why threads on forums harm negotiations.

Si.

Thing is if these episodes do exist no body knows if they have been returned from tv archives or a private collection some body over n G.B has apparently said these recovered episodes have been put together over 10 years of research.

Just been having a peek at Ian Levine's twitter, it's hard to keep up with all this. 90 episodes found, or none. It's like Schroedinger's Cat.

I'm starting to think the RT and all those other people that would know, who are perpetually following the thread on Roobarbs without comment are doing so to make sure no-one stumbles across the real truth of the matter.....they've found all of them.

I'm beginning to wonder if certain people are putting about counter rumours (like the weird Australia one that seems to have popped up) and rumours of a hoax to muddy the waters and stop people talking about the original one.

Si.

Or perhaps stuff has turned up in Australia as well as Africa.

There have been whispers of things floating around for months on certain corners of the internet. I first heard something almost a year ago now! Then, I heard it from a source that I trust fairly recently - he knows someone who knows someone who would know. Of course, there could be a case of Chinese whispers, but I believe that there's now enough evidence out there to believe that at least something has been found - even if it's just one episode, or whether it's ninety. Personally, I would even be happy if episode 3 of The Space Pirates had been found, and nothing else!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Or perhaps stuff has turned up in Australia as well as Africa.
    *checks behind fridge*

Nup.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Anything in your closet, Brendan?

What are the Australia rumours?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.