This cover could lead to The Lads Getting Ideas...

I'm glad you didn't type that 24 hours ago...

I got ideas 24 hours ago.

Christmas Greetings from Dan Dare and Santa Digby today...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I got ideas 24 hours ago.
    No change there then...

I'd not noticed this thread had started up again until now, but it's been lovely to read a whole bunch of entries in one go - the Doomlord and DR & Quinch covers brought back some very happy memories, whilst the Glory cover created a new one!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

For all of these comic books, everyone has to have a Christmas Adventure. Rather than just eating and drinking too much, going to a party or a meal or two and maybe having a few presents with friends and family. What's more, they always have to crowbar in a Christmas Adventure into one issue before moving on. You don't often get a 10 part Christmas Mega Epic.

I'm only thinking this because although Dan Dare and Digby are both in the Military, I'd find it highly unlikely that they'd spend Christmas together. If I'd spent all year working with these people in the kind of high stress situations that Space Defence appears to involve, I'd want to spend Christmas with a different group of people - any different group of people. I suppose you could have 'Dan Organises Team Meal but No-one Shows Up' or 'Dan And His Commander Have a Blazing Row About The Duty Rota Over Christmas and New Year' storylines.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's nice to see Donald getting into the spirit of things...

Donald has a remarkably expressive face for a duck. You know exactly how he feels there.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Marvel in the UK weren't exactly renowned for their Christmas covers. They didn't even reprint any of the American Christmas covers, it was normally only business as usual with possibly a Christmas greeting on the cover. Or snow-capped titles. Like this...

However, occasionally the subject was shoehorned in...

Last edited by MacNimon; 16th Dec 2013 at 7:05 AM.

Darth Claus - love it! Also particularly like that Eagle cover - the last one of the 80s but looking like it could have been 30 years earlier!

I know what you mean about having cover logos snow-capped etc. I seem to recall the likes of Victor and Warlord simply adding a piece of holly to the logo and saying "Merry Christmas To All Our Readers!" on the banner at the top of the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Donald has a remarkably expressive face for a duck. You know exactly how he feels there.
    You would if you were being approached bu a chef with an orange from the wrong end...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
    Darth Claus - love it! Also particularly like that Eagle cover - the last one of the 80s but looking like it could have been 30 years earlier!

I know what you mean about having cover logos snow-capped etc. I seem to recall the likes of Victor and Warlord simply adding a piece of holly to the logo and saying "Merry Christmas To All Our Readers!" on the banner at the top of the cover.
    These are the sort of covers you're referring to, Jonno...even though there's someone dressed as santa in the first one, they're just not very festive at all! Just a few to show that not all Christmas covers were in the holiday spirit...

Santa crosses paths with Dredd once again...

Yup, remember that one - I bought quite a few of those reprint issues of stories prior to my starting point for 2000AD. Also liked the Megazine one you put up recently - not that seen that before as that was after I'd finished buying.

Thanks also for putting up the spread yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
    Yup, remember that one - I bought quite a few of those reprint issues of stories prior to my starting point for 2000AD. Also liked the Megazine one you put up recently - not that seen that before as that was after I'd finished buying.

Thanks also for putting up the spread yesterday.

I'll be finishing these Christmas covers off with another megazine cover on Christmas Eve, then have a break from it for a while and come back to the thread refreshed a few months down the line. There are plenty more great covers out there, after all!

As for the spread, there will be one or two more over the next week or so...there are just not enough days to fit in all the covers, and I've barely even touched on the traditional British humour comics yet!

Really enjoying these, so thanks again for all your hard work Kenny. The first Valiant cover is especially fun, I'd have definitely bought it if I'd been around at the time!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Only a week to go now! And understandably the turkeys are not amused...

And I'll just use that as an excuse to feature several more Christmas covers from the IPC humour stable, which I simply wouldn't have time to fit in otherwise over the next week. Starting us off with the first one of the only two Christmas editions published of Jackpot...maybe we'll see the 1980 edition next year!

1969's Whizzer & Chips...

...and Buster...

Knockabout, from 1971...

Cor!! from 1972...

...and the one and only Christmas edition of Wow from 1982...

That's it for IPC for the moment, and I'll take a look at DC Thomson's humour titles in a day or two. I'll move on from IPC for the final cover of this post with an issue of TV Comic which shows off Inspector Clouseau's sleuthing skills...

I remember that Jackpot one very well; As I was an occasional purchaser, I only got these in holiday time.

Showing my age and the bizarre selectiveness of my memory, I remember the moose with the grabbing antlers from Knockout!

Something a little bit different today...historically inaccurate of course given that Santa as we know him today didn't exist at that time, but who ever let historical facts get in the way of a good story...?!

Today we look at the Creepy side of Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Another Dead Santa? How many has he already killed?!

Love the Creepy covers as well, the first and third are particularly fantastic.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Merry Christmas from The Thirteenth Floor...

We go back to Christmas 1954 today...