Thread: Second Chances

Default Second Chances

We don't always like albums on a first listen. Sometimes it takes one, two or even four hundred listens before it really clicks.

I've decided to give some old albums I've dismissed a second chance; to re-listen and see whether I've been fair or whether actually, I was right the first time round and it really is a stinking pile of dog durder.

First up is the Pet Shop Boys with Elysium.

Hey! When Bowie did a cover like this it was outrageously iconic and bold!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

There's some good stuff on Elysium, but I don't think there's anything great. The majority of songs such as 'Leaving' and 'Invisible' are neatly entertaining while they last but totally forgettable.

There's a couple of brutally cynical songs, especially 'Your early stuff' and 'Ego music' which stand out. They're still not fabulous though.

'Give it a go' has a nice chorus, but it's so limp and flaccid.

The absolute killer though is 'Hold on', which is the single most wretched song the Pet Shop Boys have ever put out. It drags the whole album down, so half-decent songs such as 'Requiem in denim and leopardskin' seem worse in it's presence. 'Hold on' stinks, the synth sounds are awful and some cheesy other singers turn up to help take it downhill.

I'm not won over by Elysium. I think if they'd left 'Hold on' out, it might have been an underdog to cheer for, but that one song puts such a hole in the side that you just want to stand on the shore and wave as it sinks.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

They seem to have made a deliberately downbeat (i.e boring) album, before doing an upbeat and dancey one a short time later (it's out soon). Like you have to make a crap album before doing a good one. I haven't really got into it either, the Pets are always better when they are dancey aren't they?

Si.

We went to see the Pet Shop Boys last night at the Manchester Arena. I've not really followed them since West End Girls but they put on a really good show. I'm tempted to listen to some of their post 1984 stuff now.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

It's no Yes, which was a very fine album indeed, though weirdly no-one seems to admit to liking it. But i liked it.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've not really followed them since West End Girls
    A dedicated fan then?

If you want to play catch up I suggest you download What Have I Done To Deserve This, Heart, Left To My Own Devices, Being Boring, I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing, One In A Million, Se A Vida A (That's The Way Life Is), I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Anymore, I Get Along, Minimal, Integral and Together.

You probably need This to mop up lots of those.

Si.

I enjoyed Pop Art Mix (which I received for Christmas some years ago).

N.B. Mix was a limited edition 3rd CD in the album; so it's no longer widely available.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge