View Poll Results: What was Roger's best?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Saint

3 30.00%
  • The Persuaders

1 10.00%
  • James Bond

6 60.00%
  • A.N.Other

0 0%

Default Sir Roger's Greatest Hit

An expanded version of a poll I received on Facebook.

What was Roger Moore's best?

Much as I love the Saint, he was just brilliant when teamed up with Tony Curtis in The Persuaders. I always enjoy seeing Roger on screen, but his James Bond comes a distant 3rd for me largely due to mediocre/poor scripts in his later films. In a tv series, the occasional poor script could be overlooked when surrounded by plenty of good ones, but in a film series where each title is released roughly 2-3 years apart, a poor script can't be so easily ignored...

Bond for me!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I was chatting to a woman in a charity shop a few weeks ago and she told me that Sir Roger Moore is a right twat. Or used to be, at the very least. Apparently her Father was a stunt coordinator on the Bond films and she met Moore a fair few times, and it became quite clear that he hated children with a passion. Whilst this is understandable to me, I know many would be appalled - she said how one time she was in the canteen with her brother, and Moore was about thirty foot away on the other side of the room and he still got someone to remove the children from his presence, and was rude to her on several other occasions. The last of which was when she was 22, and went up to him and jokily said about how much he'd upset her when young, to which his response was to glare at her, then walk off without saying a word.

I don't really care though. I mean, he's Sir Rog. And maybe she was just really annoying or something. Anyhoo, going back on topic - It's Bond for me.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Funnily enough, Alex, I remember seeing an interview with Roger - perhaps 10 years or so ago on one of those chat shows, not that Piers Morgan one from last year - in which he spoke about that. He admitted that for most of his career, he was a big-headed film star. Looking back, he could see how silly he was but he admitted that he was so full of his own importance that he was often rude and ignorant towards people. It was only when Glenda Jackson introduced him to UNICEF and he saw the suffering of children around the world that he realised how pig-headed and arrogant he had been, and regretted it. He really came across in that interview as down-to-earth and honest, a genuinely nice fellow, acknowledging how wrong his actions had been in the past but being unable to change them, however much he'd now like to.

It takes a big man to admit that he was wrong, I think, and I think so much more of him these days simply because of that interview.

I've heard/read similar stories over the years of Moore's ignorance and his attitude towards children, also of how he and Curtis didn't get on too well during filming The Persuaders. Moore's attitude has softened over the years though, he and Curtis speak fondly of each other on the documentary on The Persuaders boxset.
    Favourite performances though? He's not really much of an actor is he! One expression, a raised eybrow. However I enjoy his TV series and his films, and like him immensely.
    I have a special fondness for The Saint, I grew up with the series (I think I'd go for this as my favourite), and The Persuaders and he was pretty good as Ivanhoe in the 50s. Of his Bond films, Live and Let Die is great but I have a special place in my heart and memory for The Man With The Golden Gun, the later ones I don't think were very good.
    There are two non Bond films of his I really like, Gold, and The Man Who Haunted Himself.
    Last edited by Stephen Morgan; 22nd Jun 2013 at 5:12 PM.

I've never heard a bad word about Roger - in fact everyone I've seen that worked with him regarded him as a pleasure to work with from what I can see.

So what if he didn't like kids! - I don't have any so maybe I'm not the person to say but other people's kids as a Dad of 4 told me he found a real pain in the arse - but you forgive your own kids. Think about it yourselves...

God they've got to dredge something up about Roger - at least he simply wasn't keen on other people's kids. He wasn't a kiddie fiddler like many others on the honours list or famous people - sadly too many to mention!

I think Roger is a true gent which is more than can be said of "give the woman a good slap" Sean....

As far is he a good actor? Probably not but you know what he's a pleasure to watch in my view so who cares? Sometimes I don't need Laurence Olivier, I just want to enjoy some fun entertainment with a charismatic leading man. The public loved it so stuff the critics!

I chose The Saint because it's entirely Roger. The Persuaders is a combo effort and well Bond is Bond and Roger is best at being the gentleman type - The Saint role is perfect for him and if it wasn't for him being in it, The Saint as a series would have disappeared into complete obscurity.

I commend Roger Moore, a great ambassador for the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Funnily enough, Alex, I remember seeing an interview with Roger - perhaps 10 years or so ago on one of those chat shows, not that Piers Morgan one from last year - in which he spoke about that. He admitted that for most of his career, he was a big-headed film star. Looking back, he could see how silly he was but he admitted that he was so full of his own importance that he was often rude and ignorant towards people. It was only when Glenda Jackson introduced him to UNICEF and he saw the suffering of children around the world that he realised how pig-headed and arrogant he had been, and regretted it. He really came across in that interview as down-to-earth and honest, a genuinely nice fellow, acknowledging how wrong his actions had been in the past but being unable to change them, however much he'd now like to.

It takes a big man to admit that he was wrong, I think, and I think so much more of him these days simply because of that interview.
    Ah that's pleasing to hear, and like you I do admire someone who has the ability to realise they've possibly made mistakes in the past. Though like Ralph mentions, I can completely sympathise with him about not liking kids either, or at least not those who you don't know personally.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

or at least not those who you don't know personally
    Glad you put that bit in or you'd have been in trouble. Its Bond for me although why The Quest isn't on this list, I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Glad you put that bit in or you'd have been in trouble.
    Heh, but you know I love Tabs and Wims. I'm also quite fond of Tilly and George, Joseph and Alice.

The rest are all rubbish though.

I'm just looking at Sir Rog's imdb page and I never knew he played Sherlock Holmes, has anyone seen Sherlock Holmes in New York? And if so, is it worth checking out?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I'm suprised Spice Girls The Movie wasn't included!

In all honesty, he might have been fabulous in The Saint and The Persuaders, but I've never been particularly enamoured of either series. Now if Network DVD did a 'Best Of Moore' box set, I might be tempted!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'm just looking at Sir Rog's imdb page and I never knew he played Sherlock Holmes, has anyone seen Sherlock Holmes in New York? And if so, is it worth checking out?
    I've got an awful feeling that I have, in fact, seen this - Roger Moore plays Roger Moore, but Patrick 'Steed' Macnee wasn't too bad as Watson. Otherwise it's pretty awful.
    Bazinga !

I've gone for Bond as it's the only one I've really seen Roger Moore in. While he was a great actor to play 007, I think he should have bowed out one or two films before A View to a Kill as you could see he was getting on at that point.