Default BBC Say No To 3D

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07...3d_tv_service/

Could this be the end of the road for 3D TV? Or is it just the the BBC being strapped for cash?

Or maybe Moffat's venture in 3D is so great and genius that nobody will ever need to make anything in 3D again?

Should we be disappointed by this? I don't really know.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Struggling... to... care...

I never really 'got' why suddenly they've been trying to push 3D again - it seems to be like whether your baby should sleep with you, and how healthy eggs are, ie one of those things that swings in and out of fashion. Personally I've never, ever, EVER, watched a TV programme and thought, "Hmm, it was good, but if only it had been in 3D..."

So I'm not really bothered, but am not at all surprised!! (And at the risk of sounding cynical, I wonder whether the 3D Doctor Who was a last-ditch attempt to inspire some interest & enthusiasm and, more to the point, sales of 3D TVs!!)

Struggling... to... care...
    Have to be honest, that's pretty much the stance that most people are going to take.

Of course, what the BBC should have been investing in is Smellivision. Because that's a fad that would never die.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Honestly! It's like BBC Parliament, the hours spent showing Wimbledon and Jeremy Clarkson - is it all neccessary? I suspect I'll be proved wrong one of these days, but as Andrew says, it's all a fad, rather like spending licence-payers mazulahs on watchable programmes...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

Could this be the end of the road for 3D TV? Or is it just the the BBC being strapped for cash?
    Both, although the two are unconnected.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Allegedly...

I still believe that they could have made the same type of 3D image that they show in the theater show up on any TV screen and anyone with a pair of disposable polarized glasses could have enjoyed it.

The fact that they instead used a technology that requires that everyone who wants to enjoy it has to purchase a new expensive TV that requires expensive glasses that communicate with the TV shows that the entire purpose of trying to create the 3D fad was to sell said TV's. The consumers who just upgraded their old sets to widescreen HDTV's weren't fooled and aren't interested.

I do not enjoy 3D. I have to wear glasses over my glasses. It gives me headaches. And then, to top it all off, I like to tilt my head when I watch things (bizarre habit, but I do), and that just makes the image go blurry (perhaps that's what causes the headaches?)

Honestly, the sooner 3D dies out, the better. In my opinion, of course.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The consumers who just upgraded their old sets to widescreen HDTV's weren't fooled and aren't interested.
    Now if the rest of us never thought of that til you mentioned it...

This is more like it....

BBC to launch five new subscription-free HD channels

The BBC today announced it will launch five new subscription-free BBC HD channels. The new channels - BBC News HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD - will launch by early 2014 and will be offered to all digital television platforms that carry HD channels.
    And also....

BBC abolishes policy of crunching down credits in face of viewer backlash

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

BBC in realisation that it has viewers shocker!

I'm sure all the same viewers have told them that they don't need a ruddy big DOG in the corner of the screen either....

Yay! That's a really good move by the BBC!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.