Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Sounds like Some Mothers do 'ave 'em. I'm with Steve, funny when I was a nipper but totally not my thing now.

Look who's appeared in Episode 4 of Alcock & Gander:-

Mother has lost weight!

And so endeth Alcock & Gander. I liked Richard O'Sullivan in it - he played the part of the hapless clerk quite well I thought, unlike Bezza's broad brush approach. The material was decidedly dicey, but some jokes made me smile. The best part of the programme was the wonderful theme music "Rollin' Easy" by Jack Trombey aka Peter Milray aka Jan Stoeckart. This came from the De Wolfe stock library. KPM, Chappell and De Wolfe made some excellent music, but because it was created for music libraries not commercial release then the music seems to be largely forgotten, which is a great shame. Here's a link to the theme in full:-

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/k7qk...in%27+Easy.mp3

I caught up with the new Jonathan Creek last night - I must admit, I've not seen (m)any of the specials that have filled up the past decade or so (the last episode I saw involved Julia Sawalha and a school gym... I think?) so have no idea how or why he's now married, not a magician's assistant, not (allegedly) investigating mysteries anymore....

It was quite good, entertaining enough for an hour - for whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, it's never going to be as HUGE as Sherlock is, although they tread similarish ground in some ways. In typical One Foot in The Grave Renwick style, a raft of plots & plotlettes all ended up neatly tied off at the end, I'm not really that convinced by it all but then I never am/was (there's a great classic episode with Maureen O'Brien and Bernard Kay which involves some utterly ludicrous toilet-based explanation, which is pants but tremendously entertaining). Quite fun though - glad they didn't try and stretch it out to ninety minutes though, an hour was quite sufficient thanks.

Two more to come I gather, jolly good.

In an interview AD said they needed to move the character along a bit. If you haven't seen the other other specials, you missed one really good one, one disappointing one and another which was tricky to follow. All with Sheridan Smith who was fabulous.

The first one last week wasn't bad and had some great Renwick moments (I am personally not going anywhere near a tuba for a long time), but felt it was a little like Columbo, being shown the solution first. And to much time was given over to the idiot son who looked alarmingly like the Tenth Doctor.

Jonathan Creek - The Grinning Man The really good one (imo)

Jonathan Creek - The Judas Tree
    The disappointing one

Jonathan Creek - The Clue of the Savant's Thumb The tricky one.
    Last edited by Darren; 7th Mar 2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Adding info on the other specials

Thanks for the info Darren, I'll have to check out those specials - I know what you mean about the 'idiot son', he very much put me in mind of David Tennant's Doctor. I'm not sure why they did a Columbo with last week's, unless it was simpler to show than try and explain it in an hour. I've not seen tonight's yet, will hopefully catch up over the weekend.

Last night's was more tradtional. Julia Sawalha and the gym was part of series 4 ( the weakest series). I quite liked Julia after the sometimes cruel Maddy, but prefer Sheridan. Have you seen Satan's Chimney?

I thought last night's was a really good episode. I thought the first one was a little dull, especially after the fabulous specila the previous year.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I saw the film Blithe Spirit today (yes I was off work) in anticipation of seeing Angela Landsbury in the stage version this Saturday. Considering it was 1945, the special effects were not bad. Noel Coward's scintillating dialogue was a joy to listen to. Margaret Rutherford stole every scene of course! I somehow don't think Angela L will mimic Margaret's gutsy, exuberant performance - but I'm sure she'll do it in her own inimitable way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that the one with Rex Harrison, Dave?

I caught up with Jonathan Creek ep 2 last night - better than ep 1 I think, the opening with Jonathan accidentally releasing the burglars was very good. I don't know, though, not having seen any of it for so long I can't be sure, but it just doesn't seem as exciting as it used to be. It's always good to try something different, but I'm not sure 'married with an office job' really works...?

Yes that's the one Andrew. His "departed" wife appeared in a lovely shade of green!

We are currently somewhere in season 8, yes 8, of MASH. An odd series for sure, another of those "comedies about a war" which ends up lasting longer than the actual war. We've so far had about 7 episodes about how cold winter is which have alternated with episodes on how hot summer is. Yet this was a 3 year war!

Overall a lot of the comedy stands up well, though you do look at it now, and it does seem quite sexist. Ironically Alan Alda was considered quite pro-feminist. But I guess it's odd how attitudes evolve and continue to evolve.

One thing I mentioned though which has just dreadfully dated is "comedy rape". Ah yes, there have been two episodes where Hawkeye and co have set someone up to be accused of rape to get them out of their lives. Yeah, this is somewhat jaw dropping stuff today ...

Oddly enough for a comedy, it's when it's at its more gritty and grisly, the show is also it's most watchable. There's an episode "framed as a documentary" which is quite brutal, and of course has been used in TV shows since as a narrative device a few times.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I've been enjoying The Muskateers on a Sunday evening. It's not groundbreaking stuff, but it's been very enjoyable throughout, with some lovely action, good stories and some good actors (especially Peter Capaldi, as you'd expect!)

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I've been enjoying The Muskateers on a Sunday evening. It's not groundbreaking stuff, but it's been very enjoyable throughout, with some lovely action, good stories and some good actors (especially Peter Capaldi, as you'd expect!)
    Likewise.

Just checking in to add another 'likewise'. A slow start, but built steadily to make good viewing. Capaldi helped me persevere, and he was great in that penultimate episode.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The first episode of Ripping Yarns was on BBC 4 last night and jolly good it was too! Some great guest actors including Ian Ogilvy, but it was Michael Palin who really shone in several different roles.

There was also a fun 'Boy's Own' documentary beforehand, the highlight of which was Alexander Armstrong making some exploding spiders. They were Ace! Fake spiders that when you whack them with an umbrella go BOOM!

Looking forward to more Ripping Yarns to come.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It was a great nigt on BBC 4- TOTP, Sounds of the 70s, a marvellous Brushing Up On... (with danny Baker) and the aforementioned shows. Really good nigth's entertainment for me and people like me!

Most of my Beeb viewing is BBC4 these days. Long may it continue!

We've recently been enjoying 'Great Canal Journeys' on E4 - Timothy West & Prunella Scales longboating various canals (some they've done before, some new to them), partly as a 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but there's a lot of programmes on Five I want to watch tonight! A rare chance to see a live Morecambe & Wise stage tour from 1973, followed by Eric Sykes' wonderful silent comedy The Plank, followed by Up The Chastity Belt. Ooh er missus!!

It sounds like Five is Alive! Thanks for the heads up.

I saw the Plank recently but the other two sound too good not to record. I have vague memories of the Chastity Belt but nothing concrete & the stage show M&W is definitely new to me.

If it's the one I think it is, it was on ITV years ago** and as luck would have it we taped it at the time. Long since gone now, but I remember me & my brother watching & rewatching it; there's a superb 'ventriloquist' sequence in it.

**When I say years ago, I'm meaning probably 1986 or 87!!!

We've been watching The Man With The Golden Gun. It's not one of the best Bond films, but it's incredibly entertaining!.

We got to S3 Ep 9 of Game of Thrones. Ooops some people got hurted.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Didn't they release the theme tune as a single, I have a feeling it did quite well? You put a wur after W and a wur after U, a wur after R and it's away we go....

Meanwhile, and at the risk of incurring the wrath of Mr Hunt, I've started to rewatch the complete Open All Hours (Zel picked it up for me in a charity shop a few weeks back). For one thing, I never realised there had been four series, that's twenty-four episodes (!)... plus the Pilot which I watched this morning.

One thing that did momentarily confuse me was where Granville pedalled past the local garage where a pretty young girl was filling up a car... and then hours later (in story terms) he pedalled past again and she was still filling up!!! Of course, when I spotted it was a different car it dawned on me that she worked at the garage - this being the early 70s, I can just about remember the days before every garage was self-service!!

The pilot was actually pretty similar to the series proper, apart from Nurse Gladys WASN'T Lynda Baron; and Arkwright wasn't quite so mean as usual.