Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

The New Cosmos. It's really rather good. Not quite up to the Carl Sagan series, but a more than acceptable update.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Saw the 1946 Ealing film Hue & Cry today. There was a lot of exterior shots of kids playing on bombed housing sites - quite a poignant reminder of the blitz. Alastair Sim gave a delightfully quirky cameo as a comic crime writer. Apart from him and Jack Warner, I didn't recognise anyone else.

In other news - it's back to Series 2 of Pardon My Genie tmw :-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bizarrely, today I watched the Jack Benny Show from 1954 and a cut-down Hancock from 1957. I can't even now recall which channel they were on, but the latter was billed as "Hancock's Twenty-Four Minutes" cut down from (apparently) a Christmas special "Hancock's Forty-Three Minutes" - by the look of it, they cut out the dancers & singers, etc (ie, the non-comedy stuff).

My gosh Andrew - how bizarre! I watched "Hancock's 43 minutes" on Friday!!!!!

So you missed a vocal group doing a calypso version of "Wake Up Little Susie" and I finally got to see Max Geldray in the flesh on his harmonica (I'd previously only heard him as part of the musical break on The Goons)

Crikey! I was so baffled by it that I (of course!) looked it up online, which brought up, if nothing else, a review by some bloke who was less than impressed with it!! It was nice to see Dennis Quilley though

In fact, I tell you what I thought as I was watching it - with Sid coming through the curtains to tell Tony things weren't going to plan, and then with them doing a 'historical play' with a guest star (who I must admit, I had never heard of, but I gather he was famous at the time)... With all that going on, it was a little bit like a prototype for the Morecambe & Wise shows.

I forgot to say, I thought the funniest bit was probably the paper tearing, etc. I especially liked matey's reply when Tony suggested he should have got a tune from the spoons: "They're just two pieces of metal, the man's an idiot!"

I just finished the complete Hancock dvd box set, last night! The Blood Donor is very, very funny, but my favourite episode is The Set That Died. Also prefer the (earlier) stuff with Sid in, generally.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Saw the 1946 Ealing film Hue & Cry today. There was a lot of exterior shots of kids playing on bombed housing sites - quite a poignant reminder of the blitz. Alastair Sim gave a delightfully quirky cameo as a comic crime writer. Apart from him and Jack Warner, I didn't recognise anyone else.
    Although the actor portraying the main lead character is Harry Fowler, who later played the cafe owner in Remembrance of the Daleks.

I was a bit disappointed to find that the two "new" Fast Shows on BBC Two weren't in fact "new" at all, but rather the sketches they made and showed online for Fosters a year or so ago.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I didn't realise that (but then, never having seen the online ones I don't suppose I would) but quite enjoyed the first one. Mostly.

I've not seen 'The Set That Died' but my favourite, even above the rightly-applauded Blood Donor, is probably The Bowmans. "I've got a mangle-wurzel for me 'ead..."

I'm quite partial to The Missing Page. I've got all these to look forward to. Stone me what a life.

Lady Don't Fall Backwards!!

Twelve Angry Men is pretty darned good too!

Unexpectedly (in that it's not really my sort of thing at all) I've been watching Sky's Penny Dreadful. I'm not even quite sure what it is yet, it seems to be an odd mix of The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Mummy, and The Talons of Weng-Chiang!! Oddly compelling though, Timothy Dalton tends to be very watchable in pretty much everything he does. Anybody else caught this?

We watched The Best of Both Worlds this evening. It's still the finest episode of Star Trek ever. It's got such an atmosphere- like no other Trek before or since.

Caught up with the season finale of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD last night and am currently taking a break from the D-Day 70th Anniversary coverage to catch up with the latest episode of Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Bruce Belfrage, who was credited in the film as BBC announcer, was an actual BBC announcer who was on the air when a bomb came through the ceiling of Broadcasting House during the war.

I finished watching the bulk of the BBC Two anniversary shows, and thankfully had left the best until last. Harry & Paul's "The Story Of The Twos" was superb, and hilarious from start to finish. So hard to pick a favourite bit, but their Likely Lads sketch was spot on!

As for the Joanna Lumley voiced 'History Of', it felt more like BBC Three had made it, with a posh voiceover.

The Story of the Twos was wonderful wasn't it? We laughed a lot throughout!

I haven't laughed out loud at the telly like that for quite a while. Also loved 'Evan Davis' interviewing Enfield about the Fast Show.

I thought all the Paul & Harry stuff was excellent. And the Fast Show stuff. I've kept them on the DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Unexpectedly (in that it's not really my sort of thing at all) I've been watching Sky's Penny Dreadful. I'm not even quite sure what it is yet, it seems to be an odd mix of The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Mummy, and The Talons of Weng-Chiang!! Oddly compelling though, Timothy Dalton tends to be very watchable in pretty much everything he does. Anybody else caught this?
    I've only watched tge first episode but have recorded the rest on or Sky box. I'm watching it with Treena which is why we're only 1 episode each. I enjoyed the first episode but it's still early days

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm currently watching my Porridge boxset. Series 1 done and just started on series 2.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I've only watched tge first episode but have recorded the rest on or Sky box. I'm watching it with Treena which is why we're only 1 episode each. I enjoyed the first episode but it's still early days
    You get to see a lot of Billie Piper in episode 2...quite a lot of her.

And indeed episode 3...

Elsewhere, with only a handful of episodes left of How I Met Your Mother, Tracey Ullman has just popped up unexpectedly (to me anyway, I had no idea she was in it) as Robin's Mum. So that's nice.

Caught a clip of Pertwee on Blankety Blank. When Wogan said "you're looking pert tonight", Jon said "my dear chap, how incredibly banal of you" and the audience cheered. Egg on face for Wogan!