Default 5 New BBC HD Channels

Some more good news from the BBC today!

The BBC today announced it will launch five new subscription-free BBC HD channels. The new channels - BBC News HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD - will launch by early 2014 and will be offered to all digital television platforms that carry HD channels.*

The new channels will broadcast the same programmes as their standard definition equivalents in HD, giving viewers access to a further 250 hours of HD programmes per week than is currently available from the BBC. The majority of HD programmes from these channels will also be available to watch on demand via BBC iPlayer.

In addition, within the next six months, the BBC will present to the BBC Trust a proposal covering the technical options and timetable to launch English Regional variants of BBC One HD and variants of BBC Two HD for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

These announcements follow the successful launch of BBC One HD in 2010 and, in the past nine months, BBC One Scotland HD, BBC One Wales HD, BBC One Northern Ireland HD and BBC Two HD. Meanwhile, audience demand for HD channels continues to grow. Over 50 per cent of homes in the UK are already HD enabled, with reports estimating that the number of HD homes is expected to grow to reach over 20 million (80 per cent of all UK homes) by 2016 and over 23 million homes (90 per cent of all UK homes) by 2019.

BBC Director-General, Tony Hall, says: “BBC One HD and BBC Two HD have already proved to be highly valued by our audiences and I’m delighted that we’re able to follow this with the launch of five new subscription-free BBC HD channels by early 2014. These new channels will allow us to showcase more of our programming at its very best.”

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think "new" channels is a bit misleading. However, it sounds far sexier than "HD versions of existing channels"!

You have a point, but it's good newsd, especially so considering ITV and C4's channels have all been HD for some time.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The only Channel I really want in HD, on FreeView, is Dave.

So I can get all the HIGNFY, TopGear, Mock The Week, etc. repeats in HD
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Philip J Ludlam View Post
    The only Channel I really want in HD, on FreeView, is Dave.

So I can get all the HIGNFY, TopGear, Mock The Week, etc. repeats in HD
    And why on earth should you want Hislop, Clarkson and Parsons in HD, you strange person?!

I hope they're doing this with the money saved by abandoning 3D
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!