Default What are you doing in the heat?

With the UK Heatwave set to continue for a week (*) I want to know what you are doing in the heat, how you are surviving it and generally getting through the day?

Are you off to the beach?

Sunning yourself in Victoria Park?

Or drenching yourself in water?

Or something else!

*: Of course, now that I've said that, the weather will cool-off and turn rainy, i.e. the typical British Summer
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I'm at work.

I'm fairly fortunate that my two little libraries stay relatively cool- though Great Hollands is not quite so good for that as Birch Hill. It was 22 degrees in here at 8.50 this morning, but hasn't risen too much in temperature since.
    It's not so much fun having to walk everywhere in the heat at the moment though- I miss my lovely air con in the car

Bit worried about my bunny Rosie. She's not so good in the heat. There's a parasol over the hutch and I've put a frozen ice pack in the bottom of the hutch this morning which'll help for a bit. Hopefully she'll get through it OK.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Being very unhappy.

Work is bearable - my lab is at the top of a building but fortunately faces north. There's very little ventilation though - the windows are tiny and don't open far and the only fan we have is extracting, so its pulling a bit of cooler air in but only if you sit by the windows.

It's at night that I'm stuggling. Even in a normal summer our house gets quite hot, especially upstairs. I normally sleep in winter with no duvet and a fan on, so you can imagine how bad things are. At the moment I'm getting short naps at work or as soon as I get in, but I'm sleeping no more than an hour at a time at night. I've been sleeping out in my car or in the garden til about 3 ish (not bothering to try to sleep until at least 1am), then move inside downstairs til aboout 5, then try to catch an hour on the bed until I have to get up.

I hate hot weather
    Bazinga !

I'm spending most of Monday to Friday 8:30 to 5:30 in an air conditioned office.

I enjoy stepping into the heat as I leave the office at 5:30, and an ejoyable long walk home (half an hour) by the river

I'm drinking buckets of water, and wearing shorts/T-shirt when I can.

The weekends are a bit worse as there's no air conditioning at home and doing anything 'productive' at home is next to useless (as it's too hot)

And I won't talk about my sleep habits.

OK, I will

My bedroom warms up quite a bit (despite it cooling down quite considerably in the winter ) and for the last few weeks I'm been sleeping on top of the covers

I do try to get a draft going through the room, but unless the air is moving around outside the house, then that can be quite difficult

Last night I didn't get to sleep until 2:30, and today I'm feeling the effects of that
    Always have an Edge

Could someone take this weather back to the manufacturer please, even I'm reaching my limits. Too hot; I've had a migraine since Saturday because of it. Hum and indeed bug!

I've been sitting in the sun at a computer telephoning people about the Pony Sanctuary.
    I can only do two calls before logging off, ripping off the headset and cooling off in the corner!
    Tomorrow is the mock interviews which is fun as I will be wearing a suit throughout the day.
    Luckily it's dress down Friday soon!

EDIT: But don't get me wrong! I've been able to work for ages in the heat on other days. It's just today the only available computer was right in front of the window with it shining through.
    Last edited by Dino; 17th Jul 2013 at 10:54 PM.

The aircon in this hotel has squeezed the temperature down to a moderate 24 degrees. As usual, I shall be indulging in the pleasures of planet-altering a/c as much as possible, occasionally venturing outside and saying 'Cor, blooming heck!' at the 35-45 degree heat.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I can sympathise Jon as I don't like the hot weather either! Living in a top floor flat is a real heat trap too!

I know it sounds daft, but wearing a wet t-shirt really does cool you down considerably - give it a whirl!

I love the British attitude to weather. If we're not complaining there's no summer, we're complaining it's too warm.

Personally, I hate the heat. Summer taking a year off last year was a wonderful respite for me. Though I've been told by the sun lovers they're allowed to have two this year. I live on a top floor flat too, but I'm lucky to have north, east and south facings, so we can get a decent through draught. even so, I've found myself sitting naked in front of the patio doors at 3am for most of the week.

On a plus side, I've discovered I make the best gazpacho ever!!! Far better than cold drinks for keeping cool. I'll be working on some variations this week for sure.

I don't mind the hot temps during the day, but I'd like some cooler nights. It's the not sleeping that's worst- I'm up a couple of times during the night at the moment because I'm overheating and need to cool back down. That's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It's the not sleeping that's worst- I'm up a couple of times during the night at the moment because I'm overheating and need to cool back down.
    Just as well I've had a similar problem, else I'd have made something of that...

For the last couple of days, I've been getting an hour or two of sleep soon after I come home from work.
    I find I'm soooo tired, that dropping off comes easily.

I'm then up to 1 or 2 in the morning - whilst trying to get a draft going through my bedroom - until I feel tired enough to get several hours sleep
    Always have an Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    The aircon in this hotel has squeezed the temperature down to a moderate 24 degrees. As usual, I shall be indulging in the pleasures of planet-altering a/c as much as possible, occasionally venturing outside and saying 'Cor, blooming heck!' at the 35-45 degree heat.
    You're going to miss the air-con when you come back to Blighty!
    Always have an Edge

It's been over 34 degrees here today. I'm being very lethargic!

Spent the day trapped in full sun at Thorpe Park with Year 10.

Thanks goodness for endless refill drinks !
    Bazinga !

It's been up to 31 degrees in Reading (not that I was out in it to corroborate that)!
    Always have an Edge

Phew that was close

As in humid.

Bring on the thunder please.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It's been over 34 degrees here today. I'm being very lethargic!
    Does that mean you're a Lothario? Orderly queue please...

What have I been doing in the heat of the Georgia Summer? Why, basking in glorious air conditioning, of course!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

What is this air conditioning of which you speak? The Americans have all the luck - air conditioning means using shampoo over here!

As the UK's in the middle of a heatwave with temperatures reaching 30 degress, how are you handing it?

I won't tell you I'm sitting a hot and sweaty office where it's 30 degress
    Always have an Edge

I've been putting together a refurbished library- so lots of shifting books around, lots of physical work and I'm, quite frankly, a sweaty mess this evening.

Being hot and grumpy.

Well, grumpier than usual
    Bazinga !

Enjoying the light show!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk