Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Not sure if this has been previously announced but...

More audio Avengers coming next year featuring Steed and Mrs Peel

I'm not familiar with these comic strip stories. And just who are they going to cast as Emma Peel??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's unannounced as yet! As long as it's not Beth Chalmers.

Si.

Surely Lisa B is a shoe-in

Surely her voice is too tied in with Bernice....

We listened to 3-01: The Springers yesterday. I don't know if I wasn't in the mood or if the sound production was a bit too quiet, but I didn't get on with it. The two elements of the girl's school and the prison break didn't mesh at all. The ending felt very rushed. The thugs in charge were dull and predictable. All the failings of the series are highlighted with very few of the strengths.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It's unannounced as yet! As long as it's not Beth Chalmers.

Si.
    It'll be Judith Chalmers, you see if it isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    We listened to 3-01: The Springers yesterday. I don't know if I wasn't in the mood or if the sound production was a bit too quiet, but I didn't get on with it. The two elements of the girl's school and the prison break didn't mesh at all. The ending felt very rushed. The thugs in charge were dull and predictable. All the failings of the series are highlighted with very few of the strengths.
    You'll love the next story Steve & Si - it's all about ..... diamond smugglers To be fair, "Double Danger" holds up nicely in the first two sections. I particularly liked Steed's two hapless "trainees" who both sound as plummy as Steed. I also enjoyed Steed's rather comical chat with the old man who was particularly hard of hearing. And poor old Carol - she really is put through the wringer in this one. I'd get a job as a Doctor's receptionist in another surgery!

She left Doctor Capaldi's surgery to come here...

"These shoes weren't designed for sewer excursions" moans Carol (Dr Keel's secretary) as the poor love is once again kidnapped in "Hunt The Man Down". I'd be demanding quadruple pay by now! The story is rather unexciting as it's all about an old lag trying to reunite himself with his ill-gotten gains before the "other lot" do. Still, at least it's not diamond smuggling

For some reason, the TV version of this story was never shown in the London area...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    "These shoes weren't designed for sewer excursions" moans Carol (Dr Keel's secretary) as the poor love is once again kidnapped in "Hunt The Man Down". I'd be demanding quadruple pay by now!
    And a clothing allowance...

I'm stuck on a train! But I've got ha ha The Avengers keeping me company! "Dead of Winter" is the last of the 4th box set - and they saved the best till last. Steel & Keel discover a frozen corpse in a frozen meat shipment. Some nice quirky twists in this story. Steed also gets to verbally spar with some dockers. Guess who wins? Thankfully Carol wasn't kidnapped - though she was busy in Keel's reception!

While the cat's away...

Just finished the first Steed & Mrs Peel adventure "Return to Castle De'ath". Oh what an absolute joy - and I was so prepared not to like it! But it was quirky, charming, zany and made me chortle many times. The machine gun bagpipes are so typically Avengers, and The Colonel carried on the great tradition of Avengers British Eccentrics.

Highly recommended!

"The Miser" was even better than the first story, which sees a train come crashing into King's Cross with all the passengers asleep. Steed encounters some dodgy scarecrows and finds some very inventive uses for his bowler and brolly.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series. Can't recommend it enough. It's a world away from diamond smugglers

Oh dear, don't tell me they're good! Darn it!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Steed encounters some dodgy scarecrows and finds some very inventive uses for his bowler and brolly
    I dread to ask what...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Oh dear, don't tell me they're good! Darn it!
    Well now you've got an extra reason to wait for the BF sale!

Just finished "The Golden Dresses" by Paul Magrs. Ladies seem to go beserk when they wear Madame Zingari's gold dress. And their husbands just happen to be high profile VIPs..... how will Mrs Peel react when she puts a golden dress on?

A delightfully bonkers performance by Jacqueline Pearce as Madame Z sets the tone of this 3rd story in the series. I'm REALLY enjoying these

And finally "The Norse Code" by John Dorney. Vikings are alive and well in a sleepy English town, determined to get their horns on a nuclear bomb. We get an RAF base in this story too - how much more Avengers can you get? I've thoroughly enjoyed this boxed set - the stories have retained the wit and panache of the Rigg series. Although it took me a while to get used to Olivia Poulman's Emma, I'm glad I stuck with it

Back to the Keel series and "Nightmare". For this story they only had a synopsis - no photos, no script, nada! So they've done a pretty good job weaving a dramatic story around a kidnapped Government scientist who was working on a trippy dippy truth serum. There's bad apples everywhere - even at the hospital which Keel ends up being admitted to.

"Girl on a Trapeze" is a good 'un - and unlike the last story, everything about this episode exists! Unfortunately there's no Steed, but that means Carol gets a meatier role - in fact she's really an Avengers girl! All the ad-libs from the TV version are kept in - including Keel's "oops we're all dropping things today". Makes me want to re-watch the original now!

Don't think you'll like the next story Steve - "Diamond Cut Diamond". Now I wonder what that will be about....

"Crescent Moon" was a Keel-lite episode in which Steed has to cancel his holiday in the Caribbean and divert to an island where there's a kidnapping in progress. The poor conchita has been kidnapped twice in darn quick concession!

As there's no survive scripts (just a synopsis) I suspect that Steed's role has been made more flippant compared to what Macnee did, but it works well!

"Playtime is Over"

This is the opening story of the 2nd series of the "Steed & Mrs Peel" adventures. You could slot this story straight into the colour series - killer model boats, kiddies who are trained to steal jewels and killer teddy bears from Tiny Tony's Terrific Toyshop! Steed and Emma keep their cool whilst diabolical villains get in the way of their champagne lunches. It really is terrific stuff