Thread: Guitar thread!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Valhalla.
    Posts
    15,385

    Default Guitar thread!

    I've never seen one so I thought we could have a guitar thread.

    This is for all things guitar. I know that Andrew W. & Dino plays Bass, Si Hunt, Steve & Dave Tudor all play a bit, Darren & I are learning to play.

    So what's your favourite piece of guitar music to play, listen to or strum along to.

    What do you play when your up beat, depressed or just to keep your fingers in the mood?

    Are you learning anything new, whether it be a chord progression you can't quite get a hold of, or simply a new chord? Are you a rhythm or lead guitarist or both?

    Are you just here to correct me because I'm doing it all wrong?

    Are you well versed in all things guitar/music or are you just good at the handful of chords you know?

    Are you a lapsed guitarist who hasn't actually picked up your 'axe' in a few years?

    Take you pick & jump right in.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    I prefer the piano.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'm currently playing an acoustic bass. I did have an electric and amp, but got rid of them.
    Hmm, oh well.
    I haven't done it for ages, but I like to play along to the Top 40 on Sunday.
    My thinking is "If it takes me half of the song to figure out, then I love that track!"

    So that's why I will always favour Tinie Tempah (Is that right?) with his "Wonderman" over "L.I.F.E Goes On" by Noah And The Whale. (I think that's them...)

    Bearing in mind how "All songs have only got four chords in them these days" as a criticism, I may as well do something with that!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,645

    Default

    I have no Guitar in Qatar!



    I'd like to learn a few more complicated classical pieces, but anything with a good tune. I've never really got as good at playing the guitar as I'd have liked. Maybe when I come back to UK.

    I think it's a good idea to practice playing along to different songs - surely the best way to learn how to pick tunes up quickly.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southern IL, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    I bought a guitar and the Rocksmith guitar learning software/game a couple of years ago. I was doing ok with the game, but while you learn to play through repetition, it doesn't actually teach you anything about music theory or reading music or anything like that, so I put it on hold intending to learn some guitar basics and music theory from http://www.justinguitar.com/, but then kind of never got around to it and haven't picked it up for a year at least.

    Maybe some day. At least my Squier Strat looks cool sitting next to the piano.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I'd like to learn a few more complicated classical pieces, but anything with a good tune.
    I expect you've seen this before?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sawbridgeworth
    Posts
    25,126

    Default

    I haven't played mine for many, many years. I used to love doing so but never really felt I was good enough. Also it helps if you can sing along and I can't sing either

    Si.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Valhalla.
    Posts
    15,385

    Default

    I can't sing either, but I try & enjoy myself. You should only play for yourself unless you feel confident to play in front of people. Go back to it if you enjoyed it, you may surprise yourself.

    As for me, I'm useless but I'm having a go.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    but never really felt I was good enough. Also it helps if you can sing along and I can't sing either
    None of that ever stopped Mr Zimmerman.

    I'm not going to bang on about the guitar or whatever. You've heard it all before.
    But I do encourage people not to give up. Especially if you enjoy it. (Edit: As Tim says) That's all that matters really. And if you're really dedicated to it, then 30mins practice every day will improve your standard of playing much more than say 3 hours a week all in one go. It's about repetition.
    When you can play what you want to play in the same 'automatic' sense that you don't need to think any harder than you would about jumping in your car and going for a drive; then you're getting there. But it takes time that's all.

  10. #10

    Default

    I might have something on Soundcloud of me just banging hell out of an out of tune guitar for about ten minutes. Still tuning problems, but as doodles go...

    It gets better about a couple of minutes in

    EDIT: Ah ha... no. Bit embarrassing. I'll work on something better and post it here.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sawbridgeworth
    Posts
    25,126

    Default

    I think that's really the problem - I don't have 30 minutes a day. No offence to anyone, but it seems to be a single persons hobby in the sense that when I used to be in the flat on my own I used to sit on the bed and noodle away but I literally am not on my own at all these days, aside from when I'm travelling. So I don't know when I'd be able to practise.

    Si.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I think that's really the problem - I don't have 30 minutes a day. No offence to anyone, but it seems to be a single persons hobby in the sense that when I used to be in the flat on my own I used to sit on the bed and noodle away but I literally am not on my own at all these days, aside from when I'm travelling. So I don't know when I'd be able to practise.
    I understand perfectly. We all have our priorities and we can't do everything.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Valhalla.
    Posts
    15,385

    Default

    Anyone know of any good & free guitar tab/music download sites?

    There are dozens out there but I was hoping for a personal reference rather than trying them all.

    Cheers, Tim.

    (Off to spend half his lunch hour strumming to Half the World Away)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Valhalla.
    Posts
    15,385

    Default

    For instance ultimateguitar.com has 27 different versions of Ace of Spades.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Anyone know of any good & free guitar tab/music download sites?

    There are dozens out there but I was hoping for a personal reference rather than trying them all.

    Cheers, Tim.

    (Off to spend half his lunch hour strumming to Half the World Away)
    Wish I could help, but I've never used them....
    I can show you a pretty good impression of Jim Royle though?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,971

    Default

    God, I haven't picked up my bass in AGES

    Do you know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek homeworld? The Oncoming Storm.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    I feel like creating a Piano thread! thread

    Except it would just be me posting in it and it would make me want a piano (probably an electric piano) even more!!!!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    God, I haven't picked up my bass in AGES
    It never leaves you though. Within twenty minutes of banging away at it, the calluses will grow back and it'll be like you never put it down.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading, England, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    There's just too many "it"'s for me to think you're just talking about playing the guitar
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Valhalla.
    Posts
    15,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    It never leaves you though. Within twenty minutes of banging away at it, the calluses will grow back...
    Are you still talking about a guitar?

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip J Ludlam View Post
    There's just too many "it"'s for me to think you're just talking about playing the guitar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Are you still talking about a guitar?
    *resists "Mine used to be black" comment for fear of misrepresentation...

  22. #22

    Default

    Here's ten minutes of me just jamming on my own with an acoustic bass. (Cheetah bass)
    https://soundcloud.com/aaron-murdoch-1/for-the-forums

    It gets better as it goes on and is fully downloadable if you want...

  23. #23

    Default

    And as that was a success, this is a recording of the first time I've played live in front of a crowd for up to eight years.
    It was recorded in 2012 though. It's NSFW not in the lyrics or singing, but I do swear a lot introducing the song.

    https://soundcloud.com/aaron-murdoch...-at-la-gondola

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Valhalla.
    Posts
    15,385

    Default

    Thanks for sharing. Good stuff.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I've never seen one so I thought we could have a guitar thread.

    This is for all things guitar. I know that Andrew W. & Dino plays Bass, Si Hunt, Steve & Dave Tudor all play a bit, Darren & I are learning to play.

    So what's your favourite piece of guitar music to play, listen to or strum along to.

    What do you play when your up beat, depressed or just to keep your fingers in the mood?

    Are you learning anything new, whether it be a chord progression you can't quite get a hold of, or simply a new chord? Are you a rhythm or lead guitarist or both?

    Are you just here to correct me because I'm doing it all wrong?

    Are you well versed in all things guitar/music or are you just good at the handful of chords you know?

    Are you a lapsed guitarist who hasn't actually picked up your 'axe' in a few years?

    Take you pick & jump right in.
    A bit of an exaggeration there.
    I learnt (and have now forgotten) one chord since January. Other stuff seems to get in the way.

Similar Threads

  1. The Story of the Guitar
    By Wayne in forum Film and Television
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th Oct 2008, 6:35 PM
  2. Robo Guitar Tunes Itself!
    By Rob McCow in forum Music
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th Dec 2007, 12:33 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7th Jun 2007, 2:43 PM