Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

As a kid, I always preferred stories about 'grown ups' rather than kids - and to be honest, when you're 10 isn't every adult either 'old' or 'very old'. I don't think to a 10 year old there's as huge a distinction between 30 or 40 or 50 as there is to an adult.

But I'd also say, I don't think he looks 55 - in close-up, probably, there's a fair few lines & wrinkles, but in general I'd say he's looking pretty good!

As I said on the other thread (not realising we had this one now): before he was revealed, I was sort of hoping it wasn't him, simply because I would have loved a huge surprise. But then, the instant it was revealed, I was genuinely applauding, and spent the rest of the show grinning. It's a good choice - my first 'instinct' of him as an actor is quite a dark, sombre tone, but I don't think they'd have cast somebody who didn't have range. When Eccleston was cast, I expected a grim, moody Doctor, but he was so much more and so much more adorable than that; and I think perhaps Capaldi may be somewhat similar, fantastic at the dark, heart-wrenching drama, but unexpectedly gorgeous at the light & the wit.

Do we really have to wait 12 months for his first season...?!

It's an interesting choice, and it's quite exciting to see how it goes. Of course, really excited about John Hurt being the Doctor (please, Moffat, make that good).

It's nice to see they're bucking the trend for younger and younger Doctors. I thought at this rate, the crew of the TARDIS would look like "press gang in space".

BUT ... I just really hope after the Chris Ecclestone experience, this isn't going to be another "we got a famous actor ... and they'll only be here one season". About 3 seasons seems to be the going rate, so *fingers crossed*.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I was just thinking about Si's point:

and sort of agreeing, but then remembered how the kids loved The Sarah Jane Adventures, with it's 60 something hero. I don't think it's going to be a problem
    Meanwhile in the next Terminator / Die Hard movie ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Fan takes the news rather badly... video contains swearing. (And is funny) NSFW etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=45d8kn5hApg

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Fan takes the news rather badly... video contains swearing. (And is funny) NSFW etc...

Edit: Oops, I somehow missed that it was posted above. But yeah, that made me laugh a lot, and I liked the cheeky little message to Moffat at the end, it was the icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Alex; 5th Aug 2013 at 1:16 AM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post

Yeah ... well the way the news of Peter Capaldi has been recieved in some quarters has made me wonder "when did Dr Who get so Twlight?".

Hmmm - read through the comments on the BBC website - it's kind of depressing that there are a few "Dr Who is a waste of our license fee" comments in there. I know I don't have a right to say much these days (as I don't pay it anymore), but kind of annoying people are like that in this age of reality TV - it's a drama at least.

Also how very emotionally charged it all it. I'm happy to see Peter in the role, he's a good actor - but unfortunately in some peoples eyes it seems he's old, Scottish, white and male. The Scottish aspect is funny (it's Moffat we're talking about here). But yeah, there seems a lot of "overreading" the ethnicity/demographic of the Doctor.

I do think the casting of the Doctor should be wide open, and any actor (or actress) should be considered as long as they're good. But just because this one's white doesn't make me think there might not be for instance a future black Doctor. But neither does it make me think that the next Doctor HAS to be a black one, or a female one or ...

When did all this get so politically charged?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Yeah ... well the way the news of Peter Capaldi has been recieved in some quarters has made me wonder "when did Dr Who get so Twlight?".
    Comment left on that YouTube clip:

"Makes me wonder if the Third Reich would have been more globally accepted if Hitler looked more like Zac Effron"

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    I do think the casting of the Doctor should be wide open, and any actor (or actress) should be considered as long as they're good. But just because this one's white doesn't make me think there might not be for instance a future black Doctor. But neither does it make me think that the next Doctor HAS to be a black one, or a female one or ...

When did all this get so politically charged?
    Basically, I totally agree with this.

There were far too many people on another forum saying that "the next Doctor MUST be Black/Indian/Asian/Female/Other minority". Why? Surely the best person for the job should get the role, regardless of background? HMMMM?

And for the record, I think Peter Capaldi is going to be an outstanding Doctor.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

So is it Capaldi as in "Aldi" or Capaldi as in "appalled"???

Listen to how he says it in the welcome message.

It's Capaldi as in appauled.

Si.

No it isn't it "aldi"

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

There's only one way to find out...FIGHT!!!

Or watch the video and see how he pronounces his name

Yeah, but that's no fun for us.

It's very exciting whether it's Capauldi or Capowldi.

It didn't quite seem real when they announced it; though this may have had something to do with me watching the show through a Skype connection over 2 television sets, it's equally the fact that we haven't had an actor announced as the Doctor who's been that well known and well regarded for over seven years. Matt and David were both great, but relatively unknown. Having a big-ish name playing the Doctor is like a fantasy come true.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Although I think he's a great actor, and I've liked him in everything he's been in, I didn't get the same undescribable thrill that I did when Matt was revealed in that special Confidential. He just seemed so odd....and perfect for the role.

I'm expecting not to like CapALDI that much, but I'm sure he'll be a great success. This is based on nothing tangible, apart from the fact I've only liked alternate Doctors for quite some time. I didn't like Colin, McGann or Tennant.

A few of my FB friends have posted that they may start watching the show, but they're all the sort of people who think the show ended (and started) with Tom Baker.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I think its a fantastic choice. I don't think kids will be bothered by his age.

As I have both an 8 and a 7 year old in my household, who watched the the show last night, they seem totally unfazed by the fact he's an older actor. They seemed to quite take to him. The only thing they commented on was his accent. They thought it was funny.
    I'll ask them for more detail this evening. I think we need to know the kids view!

I've been overwealmed at the enthusiasm at this casting, even extending to it being made clear that if you aren't 100% on board, your opinion isn't welcome. I'm not totally sure about the news yet, but I'm just going to shut up in case I fall victim to the "ageist!", "vain bastard" cries aimed at anyone not in total rapture.

Meanwhile, Big Finish react:

Everyone here at Big Finish would like to offer huge congratulations to the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi. 'For us,' says executive producer Nick Briggs, 'He's the one that got away!'

Nick has revealed that, after working with Peter on Torchwood: Children of Earth, he emailed Peter and asked him to be in various Big Finish productions from time to time. 'Peter was always enthusiastic, but he was always so busy. He just told me to keep asking,' says Nick. 'When we met on set, he was fully aware that we'd actually already asked him to appear in a Big Finish Doctor Who audio, but it was actually the Torchwood job that had clashed with it that time.'

Big Finish co-executive producer and company chairman Jason Haigh-Ellery has also crossed paths with Peter Capaldi, as Jason has been involved in producing West End theatre for some time now. 'Peter played the part of Professor Marcus in the new version of The Ladykillers, which I was one of the producers on last year year,' explains Jason. 'He was amazing, and his performance might provide some clues for how he may play the Doctor. He made no secret of his love of Doctor Who, indeed his dressing room was littered with Daleks and TARDIS models, mostly opening night presents from friends and family.

'My gift for him?' reveals Jason. 'A copy of Tom Baker's Destination: Nerva, so that he could hear "something new from the Doctor" - hilarious in context, as he is now that something new!'
    And he still took the part...

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

And he still took the part...

Si.
    Yes, I found it an interesting reveal. I felt he was somewhat 'detatched', but at the same time, seemed very comfortable.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I thought he looked really uncomfortable in his welcome clip as well. Some actors are like that though, maybe once he is on set he flicks an internal switch and finds the persona.

Si.

It's very easy to be swept along on a wave of optimism if you're pleased with the casting, or indeed if it's someone you've been championing for the role since the series came back- which I have. I'm sorry if my arguing with your initial post has been annoying Si- that isn't my intention, there were just some thing I could see a different point of view on and felt I wanted to say. Sorry if I've made you feel your opinion isn't welcome- it always is.

It's fine, it wasn't you Si, it's just been certain things I've read that seem very aggressive towards anyone that doesn't agree with them. Not that I even don't, I just like to weigh up the pro's and con's of something rather than get too caught up in it. This sort of rational debate/questioning is obviously a little sacrilegious.

However, if anyone out there is interested in discussing not just the casting but the reaction to it in a "two sides" sort of way, what's been most striking to me has been the gut reaction/lash outs towards anyone who question the reaction of the viewing public to a certain type of casting. Is wondering if less people will tune in to an older/less attractive actor really ageist? Or is just questioning if the general public are ageist? This sort of thing, posted on Facebook yesterday (by one of my Facebook friends!) slightly scares me:

Time for a few words, after all the hype.......... Peter Capaldi is The Doctor, whether you like it or not........For those who joined the Doctor Who bandwagon when suddenly the Time Lord became a heartthrob , just remember, the series survived from 1963 to 1989 without any of the romantic storylines that came to be a hallmark for it when it returned in 2005 , an idea first spawned in the 1996 movie. The series even survived two long gaps from 1989 to 1996 with the tv movie and then from 1996 until 2005.

Now at last, a chance to redress the balance, return the show to its roots with an actor of gravitas, a consummate professional, someone who should bring a character driven side to the role and hopefully stop all this pointless running around with a very much overused sonic screwdriver !!

All that needs to be done now is to get some quality stories in there and the show should start to climb the ratings again.

So anyone ageist who is bemoaning this choice, think again, The show would not even be around without The Hartnells, Troughtons, Pertwees of this Gallifreyan world. The Doctor is a Time Lord and he is 900 years old plus !
    I don't know what's scarier, the "Well if you got into the show in the last eight years, sorry but this is how it was twenty years ago STICK IT" attitude or the "ratings should start to climb" bit. WHAT?

Above all I can't believe that people are citing older Doctors from FORTY YEARS AGO as proof that it will work today. Because audiences haven't changed at all in that time.

But that's probably straying back into the "is he good casting" debate, which is apparently off limits, unless you want to be burnt alive Whicker-man style...

Si.

Oh my! That's extremely extreme.